GF DVC Site Plan?

MUTZIE77

Yup - if you forget something in your room, you pretty much need to write it off for the day. It's very easy to miss park opening just because you had to trek back to the other end of Kidani for something, thus missing a bus and waiting another 20 minutes.

I forgot deodorant one day and since my room was the very last one out on the end, I bought some at the gift shop haha.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Yup - if you forget something in your room, you pretty much need to write it off for the day. It's very easy to miss park opening just because you had to trek back to the other end of Kidani for something, thus missing a bus and waiting another 20 minutes.

During our second stay at Kidani, we relied exclusively on our rental car for transportation, for just this reason!

thewhitequeen

I'm not a fan of DVC, but this actually looks like it's going to be nice. Probably wouldn't buy DVC as a result but I may stay there to check it out!

Pioneer Hall

I read the other thread about a potential "skyscraper" addition. Where are the pictures of what it will look like? I must have missed them. :confused:

There will be no "skyscraper" if this plan comes to fruition, nor will there be a sky bridge. The plans call for a building that would be 6-7 stories tall at most...who knows if it would even be that high or if they just proposed that to be safe. Will it be an extension and somewhat separated...yes. However, it isn't going to be a BLT size structure when the property itself has nothing to do with that.

thewhitequeen

There will be no "skyscraper" if this plan comes to fruition, nor will there be a sky bridge. The plans call for a building that would be 6-7 stories tall at most...who knows if it would even be that high or if they just proposed that to be safe. Will it be an extension and somewhat separated...yes. However, it isn't going to be a BLT size structure when the property itself has nothing to do with that.

Thank you. I really doubted Disney would take away from the beauty of the Grand Floridian by adding a skyscraper.

A walking bridge to the Magic Kingdom though I'd like. :D

MaryJaneP

Too long for an elevated walkway from GF to MK, but they could put in a paver walkway, sell the pavers, and put in a picturesque drawbridge at the canal between MK and GF where EWP is moored.

Tom

Beta Return
I read the other thread about a potential "skyscraper" addition. Where are the pictures of what it will look like? I must have missed them. :confused:

It will not be a high rise at all. 6-7 stories, max. And the top floor will likely be "in the roof" with dormer windows. It will likely look similar to the current GF buildings, but the top floor or two will be able to see over the GF buildings, allowing a view of the MK.

It will still be dwarfed by BLT.

MaryJaneP

I like that too.

This would be one step closer to completing a walk around the lagoon. Still missing the TTC-CR piece (due to underpass?) but maybe if DVC does a Poly addition on the old Med site soon, it may eventually be done. Wow, what a concept, to walk completely around the lagoon, a la monorail.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member

I believe that was a reference to Bay Lake Tower by the OP in that thread. Guessing that he or she is not a fan of BLT. :wave:

Lord Pheonix

lol, i didnt meen sky scraper in the literal sence, i meen like the bay lake tower type structure, which brought alot of hate when it was being built. i just think any tower bigger then 4 or so stories does not fit with the themeing of gf, and ruins the look of each resort from a distance.. whats next, the poly? how about a tower at port orleans, or boardwalk inn.

Pioneer Hall

lol, i didnt meen sky scraper in the literal sence, i meen like the bay lake tower type structure, which brought alot of hate when it was being built. i just think any tower bigger then 4 or so stories does not fit with the themeing of gf, and ruins the look of each resort from a distance.. whats next, the poly? how about a tower at port orleans, or boardwalk inn.

I believe that the Grand Buildings themselves have 5 floors of guest rooms in each one. I think that a 6 story building would look almost exactly like all the other ones at the resort.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
whats next, the poly? how about a tower at port orleans, or boardwalk inn.

I do think that the poly is coming. I would look for them to move the hula show (maybe indoors in the new building) and build at that location. Boardwalk Inn already has a very large building of villas as part of it.

WDW1974

Disney would put DVC IN the parks if they could find a way to do so.

Yes, I'm a DVC hater at this point.

WDW used to be a family vacation resort showcasing the absolute best in themed immersive entertainment.

Now, WDW is a large real estate developer, timeshare organization and hotel chain with theme parks as a largely ancillary business. And despite what some folks will say, DVC DOES take away from the WDW parks getting attention because the BoD allocates a certain amount of capital to go to building, rehabbing etc in O-Town ... and if $400 million is spent on a DVC resort, then it isn't spent on the parks. There isn't two separate budgets as far as resource allocation goes.

And it really has gotten to a sickening degree as while some DVC 'add-ons' really have been blended well (WL) ... others like BCV and BLT just look plopped down ... because they were.

Oh, and just to point out again, but none of the THREE DVC resorts most recently added at WDW are sold out now.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
DVC DOES take away from the WDW parks getting attention because the BoD allocates a certain amount of capital to go to building, rehabbing etc in O-Town ... and if $400 million is spent on a DVC resort, then it isn't spent on the parks. There isn't two separate budgets as far as resource allocation goes.

I hate to get into this again but...........

Like DVC or not; I do not see any way possible how DVC takes away from money that is spent in the parks. DVC is a cash cow for Disney. At DVC last report on BLT (date 3/22/2011) DVC has sold 82.96% of the points they will sale at BLT. That is 4,661,545 points. If they sold them at an average of $110.00 per point that have DVC members paying a total of $512,769,850 into Disney bottom line. This was a huge return on investment in only two years of sales.

DVC makes millions for Disney and it is not DVC that effects what is spent in the parks, it is Disney management.

The bottom line is that Disney media makes most the profit for Disney as a whole and that DVC makes the most profit for Disney Parks. So if you take a large profit making unit of DVC out of the company, there would be less money in the company spend on anything, including the parks.

The bottom line is that if Disney does not spend a protion of the porfits on more DVC resorts, a big profit center that the parks will dry up and Disney will have far less money to speed on improving and expanding of the parks.

Bolna

The bottom line is that if Disney does not spend a protion of the porfits on more DVC resorts, a big profit center that the parks will dry up and Disney will have far less money to speed on improving and expanding of the parks.

That's exactly what worries me: Disney makes huge profits from selling off their land (I know DVC ownership only has a restricted time period and will revert to Disney starting in 2042 for the oldest properties, but it is similar...) So in order to keep their profits - which is expected by the shareholders - they will need to continue to sell DVC at least at the same rate.

But how long can this go on. There are still 30 years until they can start to resell existing DVC resorts as new ownerships. But won't the market for DVC resorts in WDW have been saturated way before that?

Pioneer Hall

That's exactly what worries me: Disney makes huge profits from selling off their land (I know DVC ownership only has a restricted time period and will revert to Disney starting in 2042 for the oldest properties, but it is similar...) So in order to keep their profits - which is expected by the shareholders - they will need to continue to sell DVC at least at the same rate.

But how long can this go on. There are still 30 years until they can start to resell existing DVC resorts as new ownerships. But won't the market for DVC resorts in WDW have been saturated way before that?

DVC doesn't revert back to Disney exactly. The contracted points will become part of Disney Vacation Development inventory again and they will have to sell those points again. I am sure they already have plans in place for when that should happen and I don't think they will have an issue selling again.

Murphketeer

I tried to make it as clear as possible in Photoshop while still staying under my 97Kb album file size limit. If there's a better way to upload larger files, let me know and I'll post something with a higher resolution.

Has anyone seen any recent activity here?

We were wondering how this project is proceeding?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom