GF DVC Site Plan?

TDF

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread but can someone tell me why the overlay looks like the building is going into the water... would Disney actually do that? Is it easier done then how it looks? That looks extremely stupid and a lot of money to support a huge building on.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Sorry I didn't read the whole thread but can someone tell me why the overlay looks like the building is going into the water... would Disney actually do that? Is it easier done then how it looks? That looks extremely stupid and a lot of money to support a huge building on.
They will be extending the shoreline.

jmick71

Grand Floridian Resort expansion announced

i did not see it anywhere on the site so here...
ITS OFFICIAL!!
After months of speculation, rumors, and reports, Walt Disney World today officially announced the expansion of Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa with new Disney Vacation Club villas. An estimated 147 villas will open in late 2013, making the Grand Floridian the 12th DVC property.

it will be DVC as suspected
here it is...http://www./wp-content/uploads/2011/12/grand-floridian-dvc.jpg

Scuttle

i did not see it anywhere on the site so here...
ITS OFFICIAL!!
After months of speculation, rumors, and reports, Walt Disney World today officially announced the expansion of Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa with new Disney Vacation Club villas. An estimated 147 villas will open in late 2013, making the Grand Floridian the 12th DVC property.

it will be DVC as suspected
here it is...http://www./wp-content/uploads/2011/12/grand-floridian-dvc.jpg

Wow! I can't believe they announced it already! I'm shocked.

DonaldDoleWhip

I would be upset about this even if it wasn't DVC. That concept art is supposed to make the new development look good. Instead it highlights the fact that the beach will be losing its length and the Wedding Pavilion will be losing its intimacy. I can say that between this and the monorail hour change, we won't be staying at GF very much in the future (it used to be our favorite resort).

Ugh...why couldn't they have expanded north of the existing resort? I would've been fine with that.

Scuttle

I would be upset about this even if it wasn't DVC. That concept art is supposed to make the new development look good. Instead it highlights the fact that the beach will be losing its length and the Wedding Pavilion will be losing its intimacy. I can say that between this and the monorail hour change, we won't be staying at GF very much in the future (it used to be our favorite resort).

Ugh...why couldn't they have expanded north of the existing resort? I would've been fine with that.

Agreed. I just stayed at the GF and don't get me wrong I had an amazing time and loved the resort, but it's kind of a one and done resort for me. I'll always want to stay at the Contemporary and Poly again, but I don't have the same feeling about the GF.

DonaldDoleWhip

Agreed. I just stayed at the GF and don't get me wrong I had an amazing time and loved the resort, but it's kind of a one and done resort for me. I'll always want to stay at the Contemporary and Poly again, but I don't have the same feeling about the GF.
We did have that special feeling at the GF, but a huge part of that feeling was the beauty of the grounds, strolling on the long stretch of beach, and the ability to feel secluded even while the monorail passed by. The resort is losing a lot of that now, and it makes me sad. At least Poly still has multiple lengthy beaches. Too bad we hate the dark, tacky rooms.

LolzMagic

Not sure if this was posted already, but here's a picture of the lobby:

Disney_s+Grand+Floridian+Resort+Expansion+-+Interior.jpg

tecowdw

Lots of us thought the same about BLT as construction started. We thought it was going to detract from the exisiting atmosphere or views. It turned out pretty good once all was done (IMHO). So perhaps we should just wait and see on GF DVC.

DonaldDoleWhip

Lots of us thought the same about BLT as construction started. We thought it was going to detract from the exisiting atmosphere or views. It turned out pretty good once all was done (IMHO). So perhaps we should just wait and see on GF DVC.
BLT destroys the symmetry of the original Contemporary Resort, but I guess I see your point. Still, I'll miss that long beach, and I don't think we'll want to be at GF during construction.

RandySavage

Seven stories is going to make this thing significantly (awkwardly?) taller than the existing GF buildings. Shopped this lower version:
6479536343_cf12a75e8c_b.jpg

Scuttle

I have to disagree with you about BLT. I cant stand what it did to the Contemporary, but maybe this will look better. I'm not very optimistic.

RandySavage

I have to disagree with you about BLT. I cant stand what it did to the Contemporary, but maybe this will look better. I'm not very optimistic.

This GF DVC is like The Royal Poinciana compared to the BLT. What appalls me most about the BLT is it that while providing great views to everyone staying there, it mucks them up for everyone else (much like the Wild Africa Trek). From within MK, from the "secluded" beaches of the GF & Poly, from the monorail or ferries, there is now this view of a mediocre, post-modernist mid-rise condo plopped next to the Contemporary. It damages the remote, unique Seven Seas Lagoon/Bay Lake/MK ambiance.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia

I agree. To me the area looks very cluttered with the addition of BLT. I used to love the view of the Contemporary from the GF or being out on a boat on Bay Lake coming from WL or FW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom