GF DVC Site Plan?

MissMorrow

Seven stories is going to make this thing significantly (awkwardly?) taller than the existing GF buildings. Shopped this lower version:
6479536343_cf12a75e8c_b.jpg

Money vs. aesthetics. We know which wins.

Much better. That looks like it could actually blend in!

On another note, I guess this means the GF will now offer "monorail" (parking lot) views. Yippee! :rolleyes:

Pioneer Hall

I think the art looks nice. I know that some people are never going to approve of this project, but I for one am looking forward to it. That building looks like it fits in with everything else at the resort. The interior art looks awesome in my opinion.

Scuttle

I think the art looks nice. I know that some people are never going to approve of this project, but I for one am looking forward to it. That building looks like it fits in with everything else at the resort. The interior art looks awesome in my opinion.

I agree with you that it will blend in well. It definetly looks better then BLT in comparison. It might actually work. The two things I am worried about the DVC towering over the main lobby building and Wedding pavilion being ruined.

NoChesterHester

So much more could have been done with the architecture. Cut and paste...

If an artists rendering doesnt make it look good... yikes.

I was hopeful.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So much more could have been done with the architecture. Cut and paste...

If an artists rendering doesnt make it look good... yikes.

I was hopeful.
Cutting and pasting was kind of a necessity. If they did something drastically different it would not look like the same resort.

COProgressFan

Cutting and pasting was kind of a necessity. If they did something drastically different it would not look like the same resort.

It should look like the rest of the resort, but the height makes it look really box-y, even in the concept art. The photoshopped smaller building looks better than what the height proposed in the original concept.

COProgressFan

Lots of us thought the same about BLT as construction started. We thought it was going to detract from the exisiting atmosphere or views. It turned out pretty good once all was done (IMHO). So perhaps we should just wait and see on GF DVC.

Of course this will detract from the existing atmosphere and views. Have you ever been to an event at the Wedding Pavilion? Having a large building looming 7 stories tall next door will certainly have a significant impact on the setting there, which was one of the main benefits of that secluded location.

Or have you ever taken a stroll down that area of beach?

It will never be the same as what was there, because a giant building will be in its place!

Scuttle

Of course this will detract from the existing atmosphere and views. Have you ever been to an event at the Wedding Pavilion? Having a large building looming 7 stories tall next door will certainly have a significant impact on the setting there, which was one of the main benefits of that secluded location.

Or have you ever taken a stroll down that area of beach?

It will never be the same as what was there, because a giant building will be in its place!

Think this will ruin the wedding pavilion? Wait until the Poly island house DVC is under construction.

NoChesterHester

Cutting and pasting is never ever necessary. Plenty of things they could have done to make it not only mesh perfectly with the existing resort, but improve on the victorian aesthetics. I argue they had to do something slightly different because of the change in scale of the buildings.

I am not a complainer, but I am calling junk on this one. Poorly done in my opinion from what I have seen so far.

bstiles

What would be cool is in universal somehow got in on the timeshare gig and had some harrry potter elaborlatly themed vacation club. Could possilbly go faster than any other time share in the area.

CDavid

Which Disney would of course never do. I mean, they would never build a tower next to, for instance, the Contemporary which...........Oh.....never mind... :veryconfu

Pioneer Hall

Cutting and pasting is never ever necessary. Plenty of things they could have done to make it not only mesh perfectly with the existing resort, but improve on the victorian aesthetics. I argue they had to do something slightly different because of the change in scale of the buildings.

I am not a complainer, but I am calling junk on this one. Poorly done in my opinion from what I have seen so far.

But none of us have actually seen anything yet. Decisions about this project were formed when a permit came out...long before even this first piece of art was seen. I don't see how you can fairly judge the quality of design on something that doesn't have anything built.

NoChesterHester

But none of us have actually seen anything yet. Decisions about this project were formed when a permit came out...long before even this first piece of art was seen. I don't see how you can fairly judge the quality of design on something that doesn't have anything built.

Look up^^^^

Concept art posted.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Which Disney would of course never do. I mean, they would never build a tower next to, for instance, the Contemporary which...........Oh.....never mind... :veryconfu
When did I every say that they would never do it? No matter what they do someone will complain about it. They built a different looking tower next to the Contemporary and people freaked. They are now building an expansion the the GF that looks nearly identical to the original and people are still freaking.

Pioneer Hall

Look up^^^^

Concept art posted.

I got that, but have we not seen something in art and then it either not look like it when finished. People have been damning this project since the rumor started and it really had nothing to do with the design of the place. It seems the loss of a beach people used to do nothing more than really walk past is what is getting people the most upset.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I got that, but have we not seen something in art and then it either not look like it when finished. People have been damning this project since the rumor started and it really had nothing to do with the design of the place. It seems the loss of a beach people used to do nothing more than really walk past is what is getting people the most upset.
And the beach will not really even be lost. According to the site plan the beach will be extended. I doubt that it will be as deep but the actual length of the shoreline will increase. About the only legit complaint about expansion might be its effects on the wedding pavilion and even that is yet to be determined. I have very little doubt that this effect will be near zero considering they would loose out on the boat loads of cash the wedding pavilion generates.

DonaldDoleWhip

It wasn't simply walk past. That beach wasn't someone you ever had to walk by. People chose to stroll there, relax, and enjoy some serenity and seclusion in the middle of the bustling Seven Seas Lagoon area. It wasn't like people just walked by and looked at it. It was an escape and a huge part of what made the GF's atmosphere so special to me. I get that the resort is no longer called the Grand Floridian Beach Resort. Still, to me replacing that beach with an oversized building (whether it matches the existing architecture or not) takes away a lot of the intangible value of GF and the Wedding Pavilion.

And the beach will not really even be lost. According to the site plan the beach will be extended. I doubt that it will be as deep but the actual length of the shoreline will increase. About the only legit complaint about expansion might be its effects on the wedding pavilion and even that is yet to be determined. I have very little doubt that this effect will be near zero considering they would loose out on the boat loads of cash the wedding pavilion generates.
While your opinion seems to differ from mine, please don't tell me that my opinion isn't legit. Yes, there will still be a beach as shown in the concept art (although the shore directly in front of the building appears to consist of rocks). No, that beach doesn't have the serenity or impressive scale of the previous long stretch of beach. I was excited about the idea of a GF expansion until I saw where the building was being placed. I'm simply not okay with it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It wasn't simply walk past. That beach wasn't someone you ever had to walk by. People chose to stroll there, relax, and enjoy some serenity and seclusion in the middle of the bustling Seven Seas Lagoon area. It wasn't like people just walked by and looked at it. It was an escape and a huge part of what made the GF's atmosphere so special to me. I get that the resort is no longer called the Grand Floridian Beach Resort. Still, to me replacing that beach with an oversized building (whether it matches the existing architecture or not) takes away a lot of the intangible value of GF and the Wedding Pavilion.

While your opinion seems to differ from mine, please don't tell me that my opinion isn't legit. Yes, there will still be a beach as shown in the concept art (although the shore directly in front of the building appears to consist of rocks). No, that beach doesn't have the serenity or impressive scale of the previous long stretch of beach. I was excited about the idea of a GF expansion until I saw where the building was being placed. I'm simply not okay with it.
How do you know this? It has not even been built yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom