George K to Replace Meg Crofton as WDW head in early 2013

WDW1974

Original Poster
Shows you how innocent a 65 year old man can be. I took that comment to mean that he was bragging about something (and really, when does he not do that) and he was tooting his own horn (bragging) and that we all wished we could do that. Silly me...I took it literally! And that's scary because I used to be king of the double entendre. I must be losing it, my mind used to always take the low road. I think I need a nap. :oops:

Oh you're just an old fart now, Goof. I think all those years in the LP pond softened up the brain matter. Or maybe it was all that Vermont snow freezing your brain.

I am many things, but innocent wouldn't be one and I thought that was a rather fun and innocuous statement that would fly over the head of any eight-year-old who happened to be reading here (really not enough sarcastic smileys exist for me here!) and would be found funny by the very few teens we have here (who have heard/seen/likely particpated in far worse).

I think I'm going to have some candy!

WDW1974

Original Poster
That seems to explain Al Lutz's unusually WDW-centric article blasting Avatar. Seems GK might have been pulling some strings in CA in hopes of killing the aliens before he lands in O-Town?

An interesting theory. I have no idea what his feelings are.

I wouldn't want to come into the WDW mess as it now exists. Plenty of projects on the table with no money allocated and no firm plans to start building anything while the two competitors across town keep spending on actual park products and get more $$$ from guests and raves of satisfaction from fans.

WDW may well have some great new stuff opened by 2020. Who in their right mind, after watching the stagnation and neglect since the late 90s, wants to give TDO another six or seven years to open something of consequence?

WDW1974

Original Poster
I wish a certain Spirit would make a chart that demonstrates the Pandora project. First it was sprung on an unsuspecting company, then it was pushed heavily, then it was nearly canceled, then it was confirmed again, then Cameron took a tour of DAK and was not impressed with Disney's maintenance issues, then it was almost canceled, and now the PR machine makes sure we know it really is coming. FWIW, WDI is testing musical plants, special entertainment techniques, and bioluminescence; but those could be made to fit most anywhere, anyway.

I am so tired of the whole Avatar soap opera, and that's what it has been (just not written nearly as well as General Hospital), that I would like to see it quietly die and see better ideas move forward. ... And the PR machine hasn't exactly made it seem like it's coming. Showing one seven-month old photo of the braintrust looking bored out of their minds at what looked less impressive than elementary school science fair project models isn't a glowing endorsement that the project is moving forward anymore than Iger angry response to a fanboi at the Shareholders meeting last spring.

And, yes, the above items being tested by WDI could work in areas related to anything from Alice in Wonderland to Oz to Star Wars.

Despite their many faults, Cars Land and Fantasyland Forest prove Disney can still build environments on the level of World Showcase or TDS. Let's see if George pushes to make WDW the company flagship again.

Oh no, Tirian goes away and Pixie Dust invades his brain!!!:eek: Cars Land and Buena Vista Street are comparable to some of what I have seen in TDS, no doubt. But the Fantasyland project really isn't impressive beyond one attraction's QUEUE and one dining locale (allegedly, as I wasn't able to actually make it in the door). I wouldn't put it on par with WDI's best work at all. It may be pretty, but that's in relation to how bare and concrete-filled the MK has become.

As for George, I'm quite sure he'll do whatever it takes to ensure his final contract with the company is a fruitful and, hopefully, trouble-free one.;)

WDW1974

Original Poster
I usually don't post on this board. But due to my upcoming trip to Orlando and my continued frustrations towards WDW. I feel its time to get a little more active. Reading a recent column over on MiceChat from Jeff Heimbuch http://micechat.com/18766-a-great-big-broken-down-tomorrow/ on the continued decline at WDW has me feeling defeated. What is it going to take for them to change there ways. Meg Crofton and her Management structure are ruining this place. So something needs to happen. George K taking over can only improve the situation. He's done a good job out in Anaheim of keeping the standards high set previously by Matt and Ed. The decline has not deteriorated under his time at Disneyland. Despite Meg Crofton being his boss and all the One Disney nonsense. George has manage to keep both Resorts seperate and I know from previous reports he'll fight to keep it that way.

Ah, Malin, another LP regular finds himself in MAGICal waters. Interesting. Maybe you could invite Lee MacDonald to come and post here. I miss his British pretension and his often great insight. ... I have had people in the company tell me that One Disney exists largely in name only when it comes to Meg's oversight over DL and DLP. But I wonder if George wouldn't be the perfect person to keep it going since he has ops experience at all three resorts (the only guy). But a source I generally find reliable has said there will be another restructuring and George will slide into Al Weiss's old position.

I was under the impression TDLFAN requested to have his account closed due to personal reasons. Perhaps you can share more on the rough treatment he's received. Although I'd suspect he likely had it coming. Oh and he still does post over at MiceChat under the user name Aotphks.

No, I don't like to talk about my friends online when they aren't here. He was just treated poorly by some (not all) of the folks who run the place and that's all I care to say about it. I'd love it if he posted here (and have talked to him) but if they wanted to burn me at the stake when I joined in '08, I can only imagine the reception he'd get here.

WDW1974

Original Poster
If we are going by the assumption that Al is being fed information by George then how did Al survive all the years previously without his lead source ;)

Despite Al's flaws his updates are usually much more news worthy and entertaining then someone like a Jim Hill. Can you believe Jim is trying to defend Walt Disney World by praising the millions it's spent on Hotels, and interactive games for the parks. All money that could have been better spent on refurbishing existing attractions and new attractions. But I suspect Jim like a number of Disney Webmasters is playing nice with Disney. So he's not excluded from the next Media Event like the time he was refused entry to the Shareholders Meeting.

Al survived before George and he'll be just fine without him ... and that's if George stops filtering info to him (this isn't a direct deal where they meet for lunch at the Santa Ana Olive Garden in a booth near the back).

And I really don't want to talk about Jim Hill at all.

Cody5242

They are 3D alien creatures. They can be forced into the park, but, no, they are not a natural fit by any stretch.

But I am seriously betting that it doesn't happen. ... No artwork even when they had to produce some. Delaying closing of TFotLK until at least next fall ... no major corporate backlash after plans were leaked. ... It all smells like Georgie K won't be opening Pandora on his watch.
Am I the only one that still wants Avatar to happen? I think it would be a really cool land but if there is something else better on the table then I guess I would take that but it seems like its avatarland or nothing for AK

doctornick

Am I the only one that still wants Avatar to happen? I think it would be a really cool land but if there is something else better on the table then I guess I would take that but it seems like its avatarland or nothing for AK

I think Pandora would be a great addition to DAK. As long as they make the land about Pandora and the flora/fauna there (and not about the characters and specific plot of the movie Avatar itself), it could be fantastic. It's not my first choice for a new land at DAK, but if they do it right, I think it would be a great addition.

RandySavage

You're not alone. While I can imagine many additions to AK I'd like to see more than an Avatarland (all original, non-toon concepts), I can also imagine many things I'd like to see less than Avatarland (nothing; anything Pixar or toon-related; any acquired IP that is less animal/nature-focused - and thus even more shoe-horned - than Avatar).

Personally, I found more cinematic value and enjoyment in the final 25 minutes of Avatar (Imax 3-D, in the theater) than in the combined Potter films. At the end of Avatar, I wasn't rooting for the specific characters (Sully), but for the tree/animals of Pandora (which came to the rescue) - which makes me think Avatar could work in the context of AK.

The sequels will likely be decent movies as well as huge B.O. successes... It could all work out.

culturenthrills

Nope, that works for me:
Uni: We've seen that by investing in quality additions to our parks, we can increase guest spending and make money hand over fist. We're going to take some of that money that we made from the parks and reinvest it there to attract even more visitors.
Disney: I don't believe it!
Yoda: That... is why you fail.

And they have done that without jacking prices thru the roof

tirian

I am so tired of the whole Avatar soap opera, and that's what it has been (just not written nearly as well as General Hospital), that I would like to see it quietly die and see better ideas move forward. ... And the PR machine hasn't exactly made it seem like it's coming. Showing one seven-month old photo of the braintrust looking bored out of their minds at what looked less impressive than elementary school science fair project models isn't a glowing endorsement that the project is moving forward anymore than Iger angry response to a fanboi at the Shareholders meeting last spring.

And, yes, the above items being tested by WDI could work in areas related to anything from Alice in Wonderland to Oz to Star Wars.

Oh no, Tirian goes away and Pixie Dust invades his brain!!!:eek: Cars Land and Buena Vista Street are comparable to some of what I have seen in TDS, no doubt. But the Fantasyland project really isn't impressive beyond one attraction's QUEUE and one dining locale (allegedly, as I wasn't able to actually make it in the door). I wouldn't put it on par with WDI's best work at all. It may be pretty, but that's in relation to how bare and concrete-filled the MK has become.

As for George, I'm quite sure he'll do whatever it takes to ensure his final contract with the company is a fruitful and, hopefully, trouble-free one.;)

Don't worry, I know better than to snort Pixie Dust. That stuff scrambles your mind, like cracking an egg and frying it in a skillet.

The interior of BOGuest is on the level of something OLC would have financed. The faux stonework and period-appropriate glass (thinner on top, thicker on bottom) in Belle's Village are impressive for Fantasyland. I'm willing to give them credit for the details.

tirian

WDW may well have some great new stuff opened by 2020. Who in their right mind, after watching the stagnation and neglect since the late 90s, wants to give TDO another six or seven years to open something of consequence?

Yet corporate has allowed it to remain this way for over a decade.

Even the FLE has already begun to exhibit signs of neglect.

***And the musical plants have been exhibited behind DAK for a few weeks now. If those things are ever installed anywhere, how long do you give it before people start plucking leaves to take home as souvenirs?***

HMF

Don't worry, I know better than to snort Pixie Dust. That stuff scrambles your mind, like cracking an egg and frying it in a skillet.

The interior of BOGuest is on the level of something OLC would have financed. The faux stonework and period-appropriate glass (thinner on top, thicker on bottom) in Belle's Village are impressive for Fantasyland. I'm willing to give them credit for the details.
The way I would describe New Fantasyland is very little actual substance wrapped in a pretty package.

SirLink

Yet corporate has allowed it to remain this way for over a decade.

Even the FLE has already begun to exhibit signs of neglect.

***And the musical plants have been exhibited behind DAK for a few weeks now. If those things are ever installed anywhere, how long do you give it before people start plucking leaves to take home as souvenirs?***

Hour zero?

Honestly shouldn't Disney have those cameras that can track people based on faces? Shouldn't they have the security removing guests who are stealing Plush from Main Street and destroying the rest of the parks? Make them pay for what they broke/stole and kick them from the parks.

SirLink

Ah, Malin, another LP regular finds himself in MAGICal waters. Interesting. Maybe you could invite Lee MacDonald to come and post here. I miss his British pretension and his often great insight. ... I have had people in the company tell me that One Disney exists largely in name only when it comes to Meg's oversight over DL and DLP. But I wonder if George wouldn't be the perfect person to keep it going since he has ops experience at all three resorts (the only guy). But a source I generally find reliable has said there will be another restructuring and George will slide into Al Weiss's old position.

Is that the jack of all trades master of non role he had before Al retired? Just a feeling ... but I take it this role won't give George the power to recommend who should have a Golden parachute out the company and that is what TDO and WDW needs ... a purge!

TinkerBell9988

I am so tired of the whole Avatar soap opera, and that's what it has been (just not written nearly as well as General Hospital), that I would like to see it quietly die and see better ideas move forward. ...

A shoutout to General Hospital? I think you've just earned a new fan... :p

But yes, I second that statement. Avatarland from the beginning has been the worst soap opera I've ever experienced, and I've been watching soaps for years!

Disneyhead'71

Well, new rumors of that soap opera being cancelled and being replaced by even worse shoe horning have once again reared their ugly head. If true, the imagineers are going to really have to earn that name.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom