George K to Replace Meg Crofton as WDW head in early 2013

WDW1974

Original Poster
When I called out their new Wdw lifestyler photographer for stealing a photo in his first column I got a beat down from the mods & was told I'm the reason we can't have nice things. And one things I do agree with Corless on is their park hopper guys can't write an article to save their lives. Still not sure why you need them, to me it dilutes Kevin's content & insight.

I don't like the whole look of the site with all that social networking crap attatched, cluttering up pages. I tend to only go there to read Al's infrequent ramblings and Kevin's more regular columns and see the amazing pics that my pal OCD Andy Castro (I think I unintentionally hurt his feelings when I stated what I believe to be a truth) takes. Beyond one post the other night, I have not taken regular part over there in years.

Of course, I also don't like the way they treated one of the greatest resources in Disney's international parks and resorts (likely the top one) and a great friend of mine, TDLFAN or helped prop up the Mousesteps/Jeff Lange IP thievery business, which I believe they have stopped.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I agree... but Pandora kinda fits being they are imaginary creatures would fit in the mission statement of course Dragons and Unicorns would be a better fit. I agree about DAK now if they could only get out the preachy MAN IS THE DEMON sermon...

They are 3D alien creatures. They can be forced into the park, but, no, they are not a natural fit by any stretch.

But I am seriously betting that it doesn't happen. ... No artwork even when they had to produce some. Delaying closing of TFotLK until at least next fall ... no major corporate backlash after plans were leaked. ... It all smells like Georgie K won't be opening Pandora on his watch.

SirLink

They are 3D alien creatures. They can be forced into the park, but, no, they are not a natural fit by any stretch.

But I am seriously betting that it doesn't happen. ... No artwork even when they had to produce some. Delaying closing of TFotLK until at least next fall ... no major corporate backlash after plans were leaked. ... It all smells like Georgie K won't be opening Pandora on his watch.

To be fair it sounds like Georgie K won't be opening anything apart from DVCs and new dining locations - especially if the DHS( don't know but sounds like it has been scaled back to death) and takes 5 years to put up some card board props. I think he will be retired...

KevinYee

all too common.. people read something on a forum/site and then say "i've heard" - and people take that to mean they are the source of the info.. instead of the person simply repeating what they've read elsewhere. If people simply say "I've read on other sites" or even say which.. the confusion would be gone.

Echo chamber commence..

Agree. If this were Usenet, I would do just that. However, various forums and mods have policies about naming names of other sites, and since I get confused about what is allowed where, I've stopped trying to say which site. What I should do is use the generic phrase you mentioned (I've read elsewhere) instead.

HMF

Agree. If this were Usenet, I would do just that. However, various forums and mods have policies about naming names of other sites, and since I get confused about what is allowed where, I've stopped trying to say which site. What I should do is use the generic phrase you mentioned (I've read elsewhere) instead.
In my experience, if it is not affiliated with Tom Corless, It will show up.

aladdin2007

Does he have that kind of power though to say no to it? I mean if thats what Burbank/Staggs/Iger etc want to go through with can he turn it down just like that? Def interesting.

MattM

This is a gross oversimplification on so many levels and I can get into it with you in everything from the impact of a national recession on tourism to the citrus freeze of 2010 - but this isn't the place to do it.

I understand all those things, and the same holds true on the national level. But again, as I stated in my past post, my only real point was to assert that Scott has done a good job promoting Florida tourism around the country, and on some international trips. That's all.

Again, not looking to start anything.

***Passes nytimez a mimosa***

Goofyernmost

WDW1974 said:
At the risk of tooting my own horn (and, as guys, we'd all do it if we could!)​
This was gross. And not appropriate for a family-friendly forum where children come. Surely you can express yourself without entendre like this.

Shows you how innocent a 65 year old man can be. I took that comment to mean that he was bragging about something (and really, when does he not do that) and he was tooting his own horn (bragging) and that we all wished we could do that. Silly me...I took it literally! And that's scary because I used to be king of the double entendre. I must be losing it, my mind used to always take the low road. I think I need a nap. :oops:

Cosmic Commando

This was gross. And not appropriate for a family-friendly forum where children come. Surely you can express yourself without entendre like this.
So then use the "report" button. Don't quote it, which duplicates the "offensive" sentence fragment and draws more attention to it! But reporting a post is private and you don't get to raise a stink. Hmm...

You're somewhat correct. But a couple with kids watching a Governor/Mayor/etc on evening news shows may hear that particular official promoting (advertising) something in their city/state/country and the idea of a trip is planted at that point. Very similar to a TV commercial. The reason that these officials do that on TV is because it works. Otherwise they wouldn't waste their time doing so.

We can discuss these things peacefully.
I'm sure they don't see it as wasting time; it's a free vacation! The reason they do it is because they can get away with it. It's the reason the board of directors "requires" the Ford CEO to fly on the company jet for private vacations. Or why Northrup Grumman paid to move one of its executives into a "more secure residence". Nobody knows if it works because you can't have a control group. You can never have "2012 tourism numbers with politican X visiting London in 2011 and 2012 tourism numbers without visiting London in 2011." At best, these trips are a snippet on the local news. In politics, business, married life, etc. the rule is very simple: if you get your intended result, take credit; if you get the opposite result, blame something/someone else.

Skyway

It all smells like Georgie K won't be opening Pandora on his watch.

That seems to explain Al Lutz's unusually WDW-centric article blasting Avatar. Seems GK might have been pulling some strings in CA in hopes of killing the aliens before he lands in O-Town?

tirian

I agree... but Pandora kinda fits being they are imaginary creatures would fit in the mission statement of course Dragons and Unicorns would be a better fit. I agree about DAK now if they could only get out the preachy MAN IS THE DEMON sermon...

I wish a certain Spirit would make a chart that demonstrates the Pandora project. First it was sprung on an unsuspecting company, then it was pushed heavily, then it was nearly canceled, then it was confirmed again, then Cameron took a tour of DAK and was not impressed with Disney's maintenance issues, then it was almost canceled, and now the PR machine makes sure we know it really is coming. FWIW, WDI is testing musical plants, special entertainment techniques, and bioluminescence; but those could be made to fit most anywhere, anyway.

Despite their many faults, Cars Land and Fantasyland Forest prove Disney can still build environments on the level of World Showcase or TDS. Let's see if George pushes to make WDW the company flagship again.

Malin

I usually don't post on this board. But due to my upcoming trip to Orlando and my continued frustrations towards WDW. I feel its time to get a little more active. Reading a recent column over on MiceChat from Jeff Heimbuch http://micechat.com/18766-a-great-big-broken-down-tomorrow/ on the continued decline at WDW has me feeling defeated. What is it going to take for them to change there ways. Meg Crofton and her Management structure are ruining this place. So something needs to happen. George K taking over can only improve the situation. He's done a good job out in Anaheim of keeping the standards high set previously by Matt and Ed. The decline has not deteriorated under his time at Disneyland. Despite Meg Crofton being his boss and all the One Disney nonsense. George has manage to keep both Resorts seperate and I know from previous reports he'll fight to keep it that way.

Of course, I also don't like the way they treated one of the greatest resources in Disney's international parks and resorts (likely the top one) and a great friend of mine, TDLFAN

I was under the impression TDLFAN requested to have his account closed due to personal reasons. Perhaps you can share more on the rough treatment he's received. Although I'd suspect he likely had it coming. Oh and he still does post over at MiceChat under the user name Aotphks.

I wonder why your pal Al has been so damn silent on the matter, other than ego perhaps.

Especially since he was so quick to slam down the discussion about Disney considering selling off the Parks.

Longhairbear

I usually don't post on this board. But due to my upcoming trip to Orlando and my continued frustrations towards WDW. I feel its time to get a little more active. Reading a recent column over on MiceChat from Jeff Heimbuch http://micechat.com/18766-a-great-big-broken-down-tomorrow/ on the continued decline at WDW has me feeling defeated. What is it going to take for them to change there ways. Meg Crofton and her Management structure are ruining this place. So something needs to happen. George K taking over can only improve the situation. He's done a good job out in Anaheim of keeping the standards high set previously by Matt and Ed. The decline has not deteriorated under his time at Disneyland. Despite Meg Crofton being his boss and all the One Disney nonsense. George has manage to keep both Resorts seperate and I know from previous reports he'll fight to keep it that way.

I was under the impression TDLFAN requested to have his account closed due to personal reasons. Perhaps you can share more on the rough treatment he's received. Although I'd suspect he likely had it coming. Oh and he still does post over at MiceChat under the user name Aotphks.

Especially since he was so quick to slam down the discussion about Disney considering selling off the Parks.
Since the old Newsgroup days on the internet, and the Disneyland discussions at the time, I have pro/con thoughts of Al Lutz. Since that time, we had Al, Jim Hill( and his ex wife), and Marcie (on Mouseinfo) etc. In the past 4 years or so, much changed in who had what info, and who one believed. For we West Coasters, Al is now the only game in town, no matter what our opinions of him are, and are glad to read any morsel he throws our way. If his chief source is George, then what happens when George goes to WDW? Does he still leak info to Al? Maybe, for whatever is going on at the FLA resort, but who becomes the source for Al for any DLR tidbits? Tony? Is Al scrambling for a new source?
The subject matter, and general tenor of Al's future posts should prove interesting once George has gone south.

Malin

If we are going by the assumption that Al is being fed information by George then how did Al survive all the years previously without his lead source ;)

Despite Al's flaws his updates are usually much more news worthy and entertaining then someone like a Jim Hill. Can you believe Jim is trying to defend Walt Disney World by praising the millions it's spent on Hotels, and interactive games for the parks. All money that could have been better spent on refurbishing existing attractions and new attractions. But I suspect Jim like a number of Disney Webmasters is playing nice with Disney. So he's not excluded from the next Media Event like the time he was refused entry to the Shareholders Meeting.

Longhairbear

If we are going by the assumption that Al is being fed information by George then how did Al survive all the years previously without his lead source ;)

Despite Al's flaws his updates are usually much more news worthy and entertaining then someone like a Jim Hill. Can you believe Jim is trying to defend Walt Disney World by praising the millions it's spent on Hotels, and interactive games for the parks. All money that could have been better spent on refurbishing existing attractions and new attractions. But I suspect Jim like a number of Disney Webmasters is playing nice with Disney. So he's not excluded from the next Media Event like the time he was refused entry to the Shareholders Meeting.
Al had sources, as did a few others that loved to spar with him online. Each one calling each other out on falsehoods, or false facts. I have no idea who he got his info from at the time. It's been intimidated here, and on other sites where his current source comes from. I used to have sources too that were extremely reliable, so I would read Al's posts knowing if he too knew something, or was making assumptions, and sometimes getting it correct. But my source left the country just when the Sub attraction at DLR was finalizing what was going into the lagoon. I'm not a rumor blogger, just a fanboi. I was lucky to be part of a group that had insider info at the time. That is no longer so for me. I am totally outside of the loop, and have been for quite while.
One of the popular posts at the time was that the guy on the pre show for Soarin' with the Mickey ears, and told to stow them, was a slap at Al, and an inside joke.

culturenthrills

I'm not Spirit, but I'll share what I have heard. It is now leaning back towards JP. And to be specific, I heard they are thinking of "going big" in JP. And by big, they mean at least 2 attractions with greatly expanded retail and Food & Beverage.

And the reason they choose JP over the single Lorax attraction is because Seuss Landing is already pretty fleshed out with attractions and retail. JP does already have a "land", but it is a poorly fleshed out land given its size. After the success of the WWOHP and Carsland, Uni believes to really make an impact you HAVE to "go big".

UniCreative's new mantra is "Go Big, or Go Home!"

And WDW that is why you fail. or insert some other clever variation of some other movie quote here

Cosmic Commando

And WDW that is why you fail. or insert some other clever variation of some other movie quote here
Nope, that works for me:
Uni: We've seen that by investing in quality additions to our parks, we can increase guest spending and make money hand over fist. We're going to take some of that money that we made from the parks and reinvest it there to attract even more visitors.
Disney: I don't believe it!
Yoda: That... is why you fail.

WDW1974

Original Poster

There is nothing at all generic about this Spirit, Kevin ... you know that!!!

Hope you and the family had great holidays!:)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Does he have that kind of power though to say no to it? I mean if thats what Burbank/Staggs/Iger etc want to go through with can he turn it down just like that? Def interesting.

Absolutely not.

Projects the size of Avatar get green-lit out west and, if they're meant to die (and this one has felt that way since the day it was announced), then they'll die out there. The head of WDW, no matter who it is, is always under the control of Burbank on the big stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom