George K to Replace Meg Crofton as WDW head in early 2013

erider

Well, new rumors of that soap opera being cancelled and being replaced by even worse shoe horning have once again reared their ugly head. If true, the imagineers are going to really have to earn that name.

Hmm, if the imagineers have to start the creative process for a new project from scratch, I don't want to know how long it will be before it finally opens... Another 7-8 years for a new E-ticket in AK? Maybe they can hire the construction crew from Universal's Transformers to speed things up ;)

SirLink

Hmm, if the imagineers have to start the creative process for a new project from scratch, I don't want to know how long it will be before it finally opens... Another 7-8 years for a new E-ticket in AK? Maybe they can hire the construction crew from Universal's Transformers to speed things up ;)

You would have to fix WDI first - from what I can gather - it always seems that everybody wants to have decision it takes years to actually get to point where projects are agreed upon before being sent to wait on a shelf for funding.

erider

You would have to fix WDI first - from what I can gather - it always seems that everybody wants to have decision it takes years to actually get to point where projects are agreed upon before being sent to wait on a shelf for funding.

With these IP properties, you want to strike the iron when it's still hot. So if Disney want to replace Avatar with something Star Wars, then they shouldn't take years going through the design process. The best moment for a new land/attraction to debute, would be right after the next Star Wars movie, so maybe in 2015/2016. Then you can use that synergy the best, especially with 2 more Star Wars movies coming out after that. Merchandise will sell like crazy too then.

That's the one thing I don't like so much about Potter phase 2 at Universal. By the time it opens, the last Potter movie came out a couple of years ago so maybe it's not as hot as when Potter phase 1 opened up.

NoChesterHester

I wouldn't expect anything more than Mos Eisley Cantina, Jedi Training Academy, and some major placemaking around Star Tours.

And I would be fine with that. The Studios needs a lot and that would help that side of the park to leave cash for other areas.

Oh my... My future bar tab at the Cantina... Shudder...

SirLink

With these IP properties, you want to strike the iron when it's still hot. So if Disney want to replace Avatar with something Star Wars, then they shouldn't take years going through the design process. The best moment for a new land/attraction to debute, would be right after the next Star Wars movie, so maybe in 2015/2016. Then you can use that synergy the best, especially with 2 more Star Wars movies coming out after that. Merchandise will sell like crazy too then.

That's the one thing I don't like so much about Potter phase 2 at Universal. By the time it opens, the last Potter movie came out a couple of years ago so maybe it's not as hot as when Potter phase 1 opened up.

It takes WDI about 7 years design and build the "____" though and that won't change.

Harry Potter has entered the zeitgeist long ago. If any thing it has joined the ranks of timeless children's fiction like BFG, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc. Doesn't matter when it opens it will be popular.

Cosmic Commando

It wasn't just a "bland, nondescript model" as you suggest.

It was a legit model made of green Styrofoam, with obvious contours in the Styrofoam that evoked a gentle rise in elevation akin to a good mini golf course on I-Drive. And there was at least one small tan building about the size of a decent snack bar near Tom Staggs elbow in that picture.

It was green Styrofoam! And there was a snack bar! The Styrofoam had contours! Avatarland lives! :rolleyes:
Cameron's not used to working in theme parks. He insisted on building a blank green screen model and then CGI-ing in an interesting theme park land later.

Admiral01

Premium Member
If it's Naboo or Dagobah, I will laugh so hard.

I still have my money on the ever popular Isle of Naboombu. It has everything you would want in an AK land: nature (above and below the sea), lots of wildlife, David Tomlinson. Everything! WDI is just sitting there waiting to spring this on us. Just waiting...40+ years...to hit the ultimate hight of popularity...

gonnichi

I still have my money on the ever popular Isle of Naboombu. It has everything you would want in an AK land: nature (above and below the sea), lots of wildlife, David Tomlinson. Everything! WDI is just sitting there waiting to spring this on us. Just waiting...40+ years...to hit the ultimate hight of popularity...

I love the Isle of Naboombu! lol. I think my brother started playing soccer because of that Movie.

erider

It takes WDI about 7 years design and build the "____" though and that won't change.

Harry Potter has entered the zeitgeist long ago. If any thing it has joined the ranks of timeless children's fiction like BFG, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc. Doesn't matter when it opens it will be popular.

Yes, I'm sure Harry Potter is a lasting IP property. It's just that with the movies still coming out during the first Potter expansion, merchandise sales went through the roof. I don't know if they can replicate that with phase 2. It would be better timing if Universal would have build middle earth now, while The Hobbit films are being released. Although middle earth is of course also timeless.

The best example of opening an attraction that I can think of based on an IP property that has long past it's prime, is Armageddon at the Walt Disney Studios. Then you are better off not using the IP at all.

RSoxNo1

It wasn't just a "bland, nondescript model" as you suggest.

It was a legit model made of green Styrofoam, with obvious contours in the Styrofoam that evoked a gentle rise in elevation akin to a good mini golf course on I-Drive. And there was at least one small tan building about the size of a decent snack bar near Tom Staggs elbow in that picture.

It was green Styrofoam! And there was a snack bar! The Styrofoam had contours! Avatarland lives! :rolleyes:
There were also blueprints that leaked for a non-descript simulator attraction and boat ride on the Camp Minnie Mickey plot.

menamechris

You mean the ones that went over with the online community in a collective thud?

Yep. Would have helped if there had been something of actual interest in the blueprints, as opposed to The Land 2.0 and Soarin' 2.0. If anything, the leak made me even a little less interested in the Avatar project. These ideas would have been exciting in the 1980's....not 2013.

BigThunderMatt

Star Wars has already proven itself to stand the test of time. I'm not sure what the holdup is. Disney will make a ride based on A movie that came out 24 years ago, but on a franchise of six, soon to be nine films, three of which are significantly more recent than Mermaid, they've barely scratched the surface of the IP's potential.

juniorthomas

Star Wars has already proven itself to stand the test of time. I'm not sure what the holdup is. Disney will make a ride based on Amovie that came out 24 years ago, but on a franchise of six, soon to be nine films, three of which are significantly more recent than Mermaid, they've barely scratched the surface of the IP's potential.

Truth. Far more opportunities to squeeze property out of the six existing SW films and the three upcoming ones than the HP series which is, barring anything ridiculously Rowlingish, over.

Animaniac93-98

In all seriousness, I would go nuts over a Bedknobs and Broomsticks dark ride. Which makes it highly unlikely I'll go nuts anytime soon.

RSoxNo1

I'm interested to know the source of the leak. Was it done on purpose to gauge interest? Or was it done by someone in WDI to prove how boring the plans were/how little interest there is in the project.
At this point, I think it was "intentional" in as much as I don't think they really cared that the info got out. They didn't go to great lengths to protect it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom