George K to Replace Meg Crofton as WDW head in early 2013

ThemeParks4Life

Adventures by Disney may go.

3QN

SirLink

Adventures by Disney may go.

Actually have they announced an executive to take over it over when their exec goes to head up AK...would be a shame seen as DCL and ABD are the only P&R which overall have a quite high reputation...on the other hand I would love OLC to be the management company for WDW...

HMF

How about spinning off ESPN for a pipe dream? Hold onto some shares for the money, but stop having so much of The Walt Disney Company revolve around it.
They can't sell ESPN, It would be insane it generates too much money and I am resigned to that, Even if Walt would have never bought it but they really need to Jettison ABC, Marvel and a few of their other network holdings (Disney Channel needs to actually be about Disney, again rather than Tweeny-type shows) and focus on the Film Studios and Theme Parks which should be their primary businesses.

Disneyhead'71

They can't sell ESPN, It would be insane it generates too much money and I am resigned to that, Even if Walt would have never bought it but they really need to Jettison ABC, Marvel and a few of their other network holdings (Disney Channel needs to actually be about Disney, again rather than Tweeny-type shows) and focus on the Film Studios and Theme Parks which should be their primary businesses.
Hahahaha, yeah right. Like that's gonna happen!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Does it get better? We've only had the first ten episodes of S1 over here so far, and it seems a bit slow...

Yes. But Season 2 is much better overall. Thing is, you sorta need some of the first season's backstory to appreciate the second. But the show gets better.

WDW1974

Original Poster
But, is he the type of person who will tell Staggs and Iger what he thinks and will fight for improvement? Further, do Staggs and Iger respect him and his opinion?

Honestly, at this point I think George is just looking to put the coda on his career with Disney. This contract will be his last with his age and his history has always been to play good soldier. I do think he likely has the respect of Staggs ... as to Iger ... well, I'm not totally sure he knows George even exists -- at least that's how he would act as he's so self-absorbed.

I don't think George will fight for anything (although he may have NO choice with NEXT GEN), but if you change the wording around to more of a ''will George push as much as he can for improvement?'' I would say the answer is yes. He just knows not to push too much and I fear that isn't enough.

Next Big Thing

Yep. ESPN is the cash cow of the company. And it finally seems like they are slowly starting to move headquarters out to LA from Bristol. I wouldn't be surprised within the next few years to see Bristol studios completely shut down.

Captain Neo

Universal just announced Jurassic Park IV for Summer 2014. Word is Universal is getting serious about revitalizing that franchise and it makes sense to reinvest in the Jurassic Park island in Orlando. Could a new attraction be on the way??

djlaosc

Yes. But Season 2 is much better overall. Thing is, you sorta need some of the first season's backstory to appreciate the second. But the show gets better.

I'm going to stick with it, because I have heard that the second part of S1 does get better than the first part - just have to wait for it to come back in the Spring now.

djlaosc

Universal just announced Jurassic Park IV for Summer 2014. Word is Universal is getting serious about revitalizing that franchise and it makes sense to reinvest in the Jurassic Park island in Orlando. Could a new attraction be on the way??

Rumoured possibly 2 Jurassic Park attractions!

John

Ahhhhhh how I do love all the Spirited admiration going on here at the Magic. So much like it when the Spirit in south Florida is walking around with a smile. He is probably celebrateing with his favorite food....PIZZA! Its got to be funny around the Spirit compound these days. The wife probably is wondering why he hasnt kicked the dog lately. All is right in the Spirit kingdom. Kudos to our one of our own! Spirit when you talk to Georgie....would you mind asking him to do something about the burgers on property?

tirian

I think Meg gets ripped for the wrong reasons really. Want to rip her? Rip the forces of corporate America that reward someone like her (and I am sure she is talented in many ways) by placing her in a position she is ill-equipped for and then doesn't allow her to do much.

I certainly don't want to paint Meg as a victim, but she isn't nearly the cause of WDW's malaise, she is simply a symptom of a much larger issue.

She was a superb HR director who pushed for many backstage improvements for CMs.

The Company's biggest problem is that it runs itself like most corporations in America: they sell widgets and marketing schemes, not passion and purpose. Why wouldn't an entertainment company properly invest in its theme parks to keep paying customers entertained? Because it's too busy implementing shiny tech toys that track data.

Let's hope Carsland gets fully approved and that George signals a renaissance of leadership that actually understands its own product.

djlaosc

And an expanded Camp Jurassic and of course more retail and food and beverage options.

The last thing I read on here suggested "one additional attraction, and an expanded Camp Jurassic" - now we're possibly getting 2 additional attractions and an expanded Camp Jurassic and retail/food/beverage options - this could be a really great expansion, instead of just the addition of a great attraction!

wedway71

I hope as George walks the parks thoroughly, which I feel he will, he makes note of issues. I hear a lot that despite being a VP of a park or President of WDW, they may not have control of issues like upkeep due to specific budgetary guidelines. I do not work for Disney, but wonder how that works. I am in executive leadership with my company and if a VP walks a store or sees something wrong, IT IS FIXED.Like George I have come up through the ranks in Operations, then Human Resources, and now in Marketing. I have dealt with finance people for many years. The bean counter's power goes only so far. The buck should stop with George. Regardless of who is in charge of finance or other departments, as the President of the Walt Disney World Resort, if he sees something wrong, it should stop with him-PERIOD.

Quick side note- I do not bash people with their MBA. To be honest, they are doing exactly what that they learned to do in business school. I work with some great people with theirs. They are not these robotic lifeless people that we tend to think they are. I think the problem does not lie with MBA's, but rather with too much emphasis placed on their feedback via models etc. They can be a valued asset but with all decisions made in business a good business can't simply rely on numbers-Customer Service, Brand Quality, and Culture need to be thought of as well.

Magenta Panther

Ahhhhhh how I do love all the Spirited admiration going on here at the Magic. So much like it when the Spirit in south Florida is walking around with a smile. He is probably celebrateing with his favorite food....PIZZA! Its got to be funny around the Spirit compound these days. The wife probably is wondering why he hasnt kicked the dog lately. All is right in the Spirit kingdom. Kudos to our one of our own! Spirit when you talk to Georgie....would you mind asking him to do something about the burgers on property?

I second that. With the exception of the burgers at the Plaza on Main Street. Those are very yummy. But the ones in DHS are Alpo!!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom