George K to Replace Meg Crofton as WDW head in early 2013

Captain Neo

The last thing I read on here suggested "one additional attraction, and an expanded Camp Jurassic" - now we're possibly getting 2 additional attractions and an expanded Camp Jurassic and retail/food/beverage options - this could be a really great expansion, instead of just the addition of a great attraction!

That sounds really blue sky to me.

Also, does anyone else think the fact that George K. and Kathy Magnum were moved to FL signals that either Cars Land or a big project like it is coming to WDW in the next few years? Those 2 were heavily involved in the DCA redo and can bring experience to any new projects for florida.

SirLink

That sounds really blue sky to me.

Also, does anyone else think the fact that George K. and Kathy Magnum were moved to FL signals that either Cars Land or a big project like it is coming to WDW in the next few years? Those 2 were heavily involved in the DCA redo and can bring experience to any new projects for florida.

Nope Kathy would be involved with all projects and George K stood back and didn't mess up the plans. But wasn't the main trust of the plans either.

lazyboy97o

Cars Land was announced in 2007. Kalogridis took his position at the Disneyland Resort in 2009. The President of the Disneyland Resort when Cars Land was announced was Ed Grier.

alphac2005

Aww...first they lose their Ponderosa...now this? What's next? Lake Compounce hitches up the wagon and heads off to Delaware?

Ha, ha! Growing up in CT, once I got out, friends wanted to know about awesome Bristol where ESPN resides. I would tell them that problem number one would be describing Bristol as awesome, cool, or anything in-between. More along the lines of hole in the wall with nothing to do. :)

Captain Neo

Cars Land was announced in 2007. Kalogridis took his position at the Disneyland Resort in 2009. The President of the Disneyland Resort when Cars Land was announced was Ed Grier.

What does the announcement have to do with anything?? Kalogridis was responsible for the day to day operation while the major projects were being constructed in the middle of an operating park so he is the one with the experience not Grier.

SirLink

What does the announcement have to do with anything?? Kalogridis was responsible for the day to day operation while the major projects were being constructed in the middle of an operating park so he is the one with the experience not Grier.

Any executive worth his salt can do that and no just because he is here don't mean a damn think I'd feel if he would tell Danny boy to stop value engineering or if George was at the resort until he was 65.

Disneyhead'71

Any executive worth his salt can do that and no just because he is here don't mean a damn think I'd feel if he would tell Danny boy to stop value engineering or if George was at the resort until he was 65.
I think the fact Burbank sees enough of a problem in the swamp to shake up the executive ranks is promising. The fact that Geaorge K. stays out of the way is good when Burbank gets involved.

SirLink

I think the fact Burbank sees enough of a problem in the swamp to shake up the executive ranks is promising. The fact that Geaorge K. stays out of the way is good when Burbank gets involved.

Yes in some ways but grooming Danny boy is not the way to go either a potential 1 step forward and 3 steps back ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
She was a superb HR director who pushed for many backstage improvements for CMs.

The Company's biggest problem is that it runs itself like most corporations in America: they sell widgets and marketing schemes, not passion and purpose. Why wouldn't an entertainment company properly invest in its theme parks to keep paying customers entertained? Because it's too busy implementing shiny tech toys that track data.

Let's hope Carsland gets fully approved and that George signals a renaissance of leadership that actually understands its own product.

Agreed ... I just hope George understands a lot of things better than he did when he left O-Town for Paris in 2006.
That could mean good times ahead ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I hope as George walks the parks thoroughly, which I feel he will, he makes note of issues. I hear a lot that despite being a VP of a park or President of WDW, they may not have control of issues like upkeep due to specific budgetary guidelines. I do not work for Disney, but wonder how that works. I am in executive leadership with my company and if a VP walks a store or sees something wrong, IT IS FIXED.Like George I have come up through the ranks in Operations, then Human Resources, and now in Marketing. I have dealt with finance people for many years. The bean counter's power goes only so far. The buck should stop with George. Regardless of who is in charge of finance or other departments, as the President of the Walt Disney World Resort, if he sees something wrong, it should stop with him-PERIOD.

I can't disagree with that at all ... and George isn't afraid to get his hands dirty. I have been with him when he has reached down to pick trash off the ground and put it in a trash can. He wants things to be done right. Whether or not that happens, though, well ... that is a very complicated thing.

I want to see him doing ... I don't want to see him appearing in the parks ... or having Tommy, Blondie or Crazy Gary arrange for him to be talking to Lou Mongello or Ricky Brigante or even Deb Wills. That's PR work and WDW needs a lot more than that done.

He'll definitely be more hands-on than Meg was ... but it depends on what his hands are on that will determine how he is viewed three years from now.

mightynine

icecreamrules

Yep. ESPN is the cash cow of the company. And it finally seems like they are slowly starting to move headquarters out to LA from Bristol. I wouldn't be surprised within the next few years to see Bristol studios completely shut down.
I don't see that happening, they started moving there since before 2009 and nothing changed here. ESPN is still growing, and putting roots in LA is like having Disney parks on both coasts.

lazyboy97o

It's not like they made an announcement and then did nothing for two years. The coordination and start of the whole project occurred during that time. Cars Land even broke ground shortly before Kalogridis arrived.

Captain Neo

Wait so where is Meg going?

It's not like they made an announcement and then did nothing for two years. The coordination and start of the whole project occurred during that time. Cars Land even broke ground shortly before Kalogridis arrived.
Real construction on Cars Land began in 2009 around the time of Kalogridis arrival. At the time Grier was there they were only doing work on the Paradise Pier area and building Midway Mania. If you want to keep going back the attraction was actually designed when Matt Ouimet was still with the company.

misterID

The last thing I read on here suggested "one additional attraction, and an expanded Camp Jurassic" - now we're possibly getting 2 additional attractions and an expanded Camp Jurassic and retail/food/beverage options - this could be a really great expansion, instead of just the addition of a great attraction!

I also believe the existing attraction will get an upgrade.

Really, I'm really happy about the change. I know nothing about George other than Spirit's knowledge and observations that he kindly posts here :) But I reckon he can't do any worse, so that's cause for celebration considering the dark cloud that's been hanging over WDW for years.

Is it right to think Kathy will be just as important addition as Geroge?

flynnibus

Premium Member

Ok, you're right.. his big contribution was ensuring they didn't screw up the park entrance during the BVS reconstruction. Ooops.. forgot about that Mary N... All of carsland was outside the guest areas all the time. Paradise Pier was a much bigger impact on guests.. but keeping the walls up in a dead corner of the park isn't rocket science. We see just how well they repurposed the mailboomer area :rolleyes:

All he had to do was not screw it up. All the heavy decisions on what to build, where, and when were all done. What was still up was how the front of the park would be handled, the only real late changes were the street party additions for World of Color, and someone allowing the reworking of TLM after it opened... which I doubt TDA paid for.

George was handed a bentley.. and basically just had to keep from running it off the road.

SirLink

Ok, you're right.. his big contribution was ensuring they didn't screw up the park entrance during the BVS reconstruction. Ooops.. forgot about that Mary N... All of carsland was outside the guest areas all the time. Paradise Pier was a much bigger impact on guests.. but keeping the walls up in a dead corner of the park isn't rocket science. We see just how well they repurposed the mailboomer area :rolleyes:

All he had to do was not screw it up. All the heavy decisions on what to build, where, and when were all done. What was still up was how the front of the park would be handled, the only real late changes were the street party additions for World of Color, and someone allowing the reworking of TLM after it opened... which I doubt TDA paid for.

George was handed a bentley.. and basically just had to keep from running it off the road.

However George as far as I know GlowFest was his idea, and from little seeds grow acorns - look at how well Mad T Party is doing...but to be fair... ya look at TDO and even if they were given an Aston Martin they would want to take the engine out ... put a drawing of engine inside the bonnet... and complain when the car wouldn't move ... oh wait they have done it and are continuing to do it on the makeover plans oh well! :rolleyes:

flynnibus

Premium Member
However George as far as I know GlowFest was his idea, and from little seeds grow acorns - look at how well Mad T Party is doing...but to be fair... ya look at TDO and even if they were given an Aston Martin they would want to take the engine out ... put a drawing of engine inside the bonnet... and complain when the car wouldn't move ... oh wait they have done it and are continuing to do it on the makeover plans oh well! :rolleyes:

comparsions to TDO are just diversions from the subject at hand. George K had timing in his favor and if Glow with the Show is his biggest contribution.. bleh. As much as everyone here cries about TDO being greedy and only interested in money.. what in world do we consider putting up a dance club in the middle of a theme park that inexcusably clutters an entire land every day of the week.. just because you have highly successful BARS at night? Its out of place, it destroys the park during the day, and the motivation is all about the bar tils. At least with Mad T Party they finally kicked it back to the corner and off the main drag.

Don't get me wrong.. I would have loved the elements they built for Electronica - but not at the expense of the theme park. Disney should have clued in and realized they had highly desirable concept they could have put elsewhere on property. It doesn't serve as a WoC holding area anymore.. it's just crapping on Hollywoodland because the bar tils are more important than the theme park itself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom