George K to Replace Meg Crofton as WDW head in early 2013

SJN1279

Why would you want to muddle up the best queue in WDW with TVs!? Ugh.
Broken down, old TV's may fit the queue okay. I just don't think the storyline of the attraction comes through very well. Maybe a tour guide would help? Any other suggestions?

GLaDOS

Broken down, old TV's may fit the queue okay. I just don't think the storyline of the attraction comes through very well. Maybe a tour guide would help? Any other suggestions?

Well, I'm someone who thinks the concept of "story" is too heavy handed and beating you over the head in the current Disney model. I don't need every detail.

That's the great thing about the classics. They let you fill in the blanks yourself, rather than adhering to a strict backstory. Which is also one of the positives of Everest

COProgressFan

Just...wow. If you can't figure out the backstory for Everest after walking through the most elaborate and detailed queue at WDW, then...I just don't know if you can be helped. :confused:

I mean really....Everyone knows the backstory is that the Yeti was an original member of the Bee-Gees but was thrown out by Robin Gibb after a tiff. He ran off to Asia and got lost somewhere on Mt. Everest, where, if you're lucky you'll still find him Stayin' Alive, disco strobe and all.

SJN1279

So the fact that the attraction takes place on "Forbidden Mountain" and not Everest is clear to most riders? Either way, the nothing happening track switch scene, the broken Yeti, and lack of a memorable soundtrack really hurt this attraction and keep it from beginning the WDW superheadliner that it should be.

SJN1279

C
So the fact that the attraction takes place on "Forbidden Mountain" and not Everest is clear to most riders? Either way, the nothing happening track switch scene, the broken Yeti, and lack of a memorable soundtrack really hurt this attraction and keep it from beginning the WDW superheadliner that it should be.

Come to think of it, a dramatic soundtrack and ripping out that stupid bird could fix the track-switch scene pretty easily. The soundtrack is key.

SirLink

Seen as the ride is called Expedition EVEREST: Legend of The Forbidden Mountain, this is on the guide map on and on the queue, hell even on merchandise!

Lee

Adventurer
I just hope he gives us Everest 2.0(complete with new Yeti, a killer soundtrack, an actual show scene at the track switch, and maybe some pre-show TV monitors to hammer home a good backstory). 50 million from the Avatar money should cover it.
Surely, GK is gonna have much more on his plate than worrying about my old pal, the yeti.

He's going to have to deal with some infrastructure problems, labor issues, a troubled nighttime entertainment district, completely shuttered attractions and dining locations, stale park offerings, potential NextGen backlash, etc.

Where there's a will, there's a way. Lets hope there is a will.

wannabeBelle

Surely, GK is gonna have much more on his plate than worrying about my old pal, the yeti.

He's going to have to deal with some infrastructure problems, labor issues, a troubled nighttime entertainment district, completely shuttered attractions and dining locations, stale park offerings, potential NextGen backlash, etc.

Well said Lee, Any thoughts on what direction, if any, he will take? Marie

janoimagine

Seen as the ride is called Expedition EVEREST: Legend of The Forbidden Mountain, this is on the guide map on and on the queue, hell even on merchandise!
Not to mention if you know anything about the actual Everest, it has a pretty distinctive shape and is very easy to isolate from the other mountains of the Himalaya's.
However their is one thing you can count on especially here in the US, and that is the idiocy of the consumer, and it's need for constant reimforcement.

Disneyhead'71

Concerning the Yeti. There is a website http://www.discoyeti.com selling T-Shirts. The direction G.K. takes with this issue will tell us a lot about the future of the resort. Will he take it as a knock on the "Brand" and make fixing the Yeti a priority? Or will he buy out the Disco Yeti people, add a mirror ball and flashing colored lights, and start hocking the T-Shirts in the Gift Shop?

Hmmm?

G00fyDad

Hey brotha, (see the LOST reference there)...

I appreciate the rumors you post on this site, but what do you expect Al to do in his article? Quote you? Reference you? You are a person posting on a rumor board. You are hidden behind the vail of secrecy that is your User Name. Quoting a rumor board post in an article would have discredited Al's article.

For someone who is CONSTANTly going all Locke on social media, you seem to have missed a big part of how it works. Though you have gained the trust of this board with your pretty accurate inside information, that doesn't mean that your rumors are worth quoting in a 'news' article. Social media is not really a solid reference, much in the same way you shouldn't use Wiki when writing a paper. Quit complaining about it and get back to providing why people (myself included) read your posts: your intelligent, insightful, insider information...

Sorry, it's late and I just needed to get that thought off of my chest.

I have seen soooooo many people do this very thing. o_O

G00fyDad

QFT^^

Lee

Adventurer
Concerning the Yeti. There is a website http://www.discoyeti.com selling T-Shirts. The direction G.K. takes with this issue will tell us a lot about the future of the resort. Will he take it as a knock on the "Brand" and make fixing the Yeti a priority? Or will he buy out the Disco Yeti people, add a mirror ball and flashing colored lights, and start hocking the T-Shirts in the Gift Shop?

Hmmm?
Yeah...I'll be interested to see how GK handles the yeti.
Of course, we're assuming its repair/replacement will be up to him. Certainly, he'll have some say...but I hate to think of his predecessor just blowing it off.

Cosmic Commando

Hmmm?
While I'd love for him to shut down Everest on 2/1/13 until the Yeti is fixed, it's not a make-or-break issue for me. It's possible that he could be a good WDW president to me even if the yeti doesn't get fixed; there are lots of problems to fix, though.

WDW1974

Original Poster
You know, I never doubted what you posted. Having read your posts since you appeared on this site I was pretty sure that if you post about it with that much certainty then it was more or less a done deal. However, I am still very impressed how 100% correct the subject line of this thread is - even after it turns out that Meg stays on. But not as head of WDW, that's the role where she is going to be replaced by Geaorge K.

Well, there always will be Spirited doubters. Frankly, I don't mind them (when they are fair and rational) as they help keep me on my game, on target.

Yes, Meg will remain ... but for how long is the question. And the exec shuffle seems far from over. 2013 is starting MAGICally ... for some.:)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Well, there always will be Spirited doubters. Frankly, I don't mind them (when they are fair and rational) as they help keep me on my game, on target.

Yes, Meg will remain ... but for how long is the question. And the exec shuffle seems far from over. 2013 is starting MAGICally ... for some.:)
Is this the beginning of the "BIG spirited" change we have been awaiting?

WDW1974

Original Poster
It doesn't happen often but I'll have to disagree with you there Spirit ;).

Look, Frank you're probably a better pilot than I am ... but I am most definitely the Jacob figure here.
Just ask my friends at TWDC.

Remember, it only ends once. Everything that happens in between ... is progress.

Do you know George's feelings on the projects in the pipeline at WDW? Could his relocation to Florida have any knock-on effect on those projects?

I can't say that I have a clue what George's feelings are regarding possible WDW projects. I do know George has spent the past decade moving from Orlando to Paris to Anaheim and now back to O-Town again, so he knows that WDW is offering a staler product and that SQS are practically non-existent in FL.

As to future projects, we'll have to wait and see. He knows the difference between quality projects and crap, but he also doesn't write the checks, either.

WDW1974

Original Poster
It's funny that you get a tad bit of ribbing here because of your style, but the information that you provide is generally first and so-to-speak, breaking. While Lutz has provided many nuggets over the years, it's always clear that there is some agenda from elsewhere in what he provides. He acts as though he's high and mighty and that all his breaking news stories are sourced from him directly, although we know that many times he's late to the party. He's not a real journalist (although the closest that fan sites seem to provide in a columnist), yet continues to pretend to be such more than a decade after he started this on his prior site. Not to mention his disdain for the Florida property, it gets old.

I've respected Al. But his site claiming to be on top of this (as well as other things I've had here ages ago, such as the MSEP not wanted back in Anaheim and Disney looking to turn the theme park business model into one based on a cruise-line one) is total and utter BS.

Today, he put out a short column to crow that he was on top of the changes after Todd/Dusty Sage put up a post yesterday saying that Al, @KevinYee and Dusty himself had been on top of this.

It's very disengenuous at best. I'd like to use stronger language, but was told I can be quite a potty mouth over coffee today. But my feelings toward Al and his crew would generally be they can ... all have MAGICal nights.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom