George K to Replace Meg Crofton as WDW head in early 2013

WDW1974

Original Poster
I am anxious for George to be back in Orlando. I think it will be VERY interesting to see how this affects potential projects being discussed for WDW. I hope that we can expect more under his leadership. Poor Meg never seemed to understand the theme park business.

I think Meg gets ripped for the wrong reasons really. Want to rip her? Rip the forces of corporate America that reward someone like her (and I am sure she is talented in many ways) by placing her in a position she is ill-equipped for and then doesn't allow her to do much.

I certainly don't want to paint Meg as a victim, but she isn't nearly the cause of WDW's malaise, she is simply a symptom of a much larger issue.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Surely, GK is gonna have much more on his plate than worrying about my old pal, the yeti.

Yep, especially with you 'on hand' to lubricate him as needed (the yeti, not Georgie!)

He's going to have to deal with some infrastructure problems, labor issues, a troubled nighttime entertainment district, completely shuttered attractions and dining locations, stale park offerings, potential NextGen backlash, etc.

Where there's a will, there's a way. Lets hope there is a will.

Suffice to say, GK will have plenty to deal with. But, perhaps, he'll figure out a way to solve a few issues before they get even worse. He's a smart one. And sometimes a solution is right under your nose.

spaceghost

Yep, especially with you 'on hand' to lubricate him as needed (the yeti, not Georgie!)

Suffice to say, GK will have plenty to deal with. But, perhaps, he'll figure out a way to solve a few issues before they get even worse. He's a smart one. And sometimes a solution is right under your nose.

Is that a bit of spirited foreshadowing? ;)

yeti

I think Meg gets ripped for the wrong reasons really. Want to rip her? Rip the forces of corporate America that reward someone like her (and I am sure she is talented in many ways) by placing her in a position she is ill-equipped for and then doesn't allow her to do much.

I certainly don't want to paint Meg as a victim, but she isn't nearly the cause of WDW's malaise, she is simply a symptom of a much larger issue.

Yup. It's kind of cringeworthy really, reading the ridiculous victory speech being heralded by tool and the gang (ie Dusty and the micechatters) underneath Al's article this afternoon. So over the top....so hilarious. You may recall that petition he drew up last time there was a little shuffling in the house of mouse, when Crofton was promoted to president? Those guys are a laugh sometimes, I've gotta say.

WDW1974

Original Poster
He should totally be your avatar photo. Or Ben....he kinda fits, too.

I could see that. ... As for Ben ... I'm starting to enjoy Michael on Person of Interest a lot, but that took a while as last year the show didn't grab me at first. Fun show tonight.

Longhairbear

I've respected Al. But his site claiming to be on top of this (as well as other things I've had here ages ago, such as the MSEP not wanted back in Anaheim and Disney looking to turn the theme park business model into one based on a cruise-line one) is total and utter BS.

Today, he put out a short column to crow that he was on top of the changes after Todd/Dusty Sage put up a post yesterday saying that Al, @KevinYee and Dusty himself had been on top of this.

It's very disengenuous at best. I'd like to use stronger language, but was told I can be quite a potty mouth over coffee today. But my feelings toward Al and his crew would generally be they can ... all have MAGICal nights.
Al hinted at Disney selling off a division or two. What would Disney want to sell off?

djlaosc

I could see that. ... As for Ben ... I'm starting to enjoy Michael on Person of Interest a lot, but that took a while as last year the show didn't grab me at first. Fun show tonight.

Does it get better? We've only had the first ten episodes of S1 over here so far, and it seems a bit slow...

dreamscometrue

As to future projects, we'll have to wait and see. He knows the difference between quality projects and crap, but he also doesn't write the checks, either.

But, is he the type of person who will tell Staggs and Iger what he thinks and will fight for improvement? Further, do Staggs and Iger respect him and his opinion?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom