George K to Replace Meg Crofton as WDW head in early 2013

wdwfan22

Hey brotha, (see the LOST reference there)...

I appreciate the rumors you post on this site, but what do you expect Al to do in his article? Quote you? Reference you? You are a person posting on a rumor board. You are hidden behind the vail of secrecy that is your User Name. Quoting a rumor board post in an article would have discredited Al's article.

For someone who is CONSTANTly going all Locke on social media, you seem to have missed a big part of how it works. Though you have gained the trust of this board with your pretty accurate inside information, that doesn't mean that your rumors are worth quoting in a 'news' article. Social media is not really a solid reference, much in the same way you shouldn't use Wiki when writing a paper. Quit complaining about it and get back to providing why people (myself included) read your posts: your intelligent, insightful, insider information...

Sorry, it's late and I just needed to get that thought off of my chest.

You beat me to it, i was getting ready to say the same thing. However Al did mention over a year ago there would be changes to Meg's title. So I believe it's fair to say that everyone knew it was coming.

tirian

Michael Colglazier becoming DLR Prez is borderline shocking on the face. While many of his CMs seem to like the guy, there's no doubting he also ran DAK as it fell apart. It's three signature attractions have all had major show issues since he has been in charge. And let's not forget that Legal made them put up netting when a small piece of the ToL fell off. We still don't know why this happened or if they'll ever remove the eyesores they put up.

HA. I talked to three people who worked with him personally for their opinions. The consensus was that he pretty much snorts pixie dust and lives in the magical Disney Parks® land of pin lanyards and knee-jerking "magical" reactions. CMs like him because he legitimately likes the parks and spends time there, but he doesn't seem to understand simple things like maintenance and continued investment. He also doesn't seem to realize the deep legacy of Disney extends beyond princesses. Disneylanders should expect to see more foamheads and less classic, elegant, understated magic*.

George K is reportedly a great guy who understand and believes in the classic Disney way, but he can't be credited for anything at DL. He just happened to be in the right place at the right time to reap his predecessor's benefits. Let's hope the first thing he does at WDW is fight for a property-wide restoration.

*Can you imagine Walt's reaction to his company's modern identity? Can you imagine seeing your empire of cartoon characters, stunning animated movies, live-action films, True-Life Adventures, Davy Crockett and Zorro, technological breakthroughs, and city planning reduced to princess meet and greets?

the.dreamfinder

*Can you imagine Walt's reaction to his company's modern identity? Can you imagine seeing your empire of cartoon characters, stunning animated movies, live-action films, True-Life Adventures, Davy Crockett and Zorro, technological breakthroughs, and city planning reduced to princess meet and greets?
Everything but WDAS and Pixar would be completely obliterated and rebuilt from the ground up.

SeaCastle

I appreciate the rumors you post on this site, but what do you expect Al to do in his article? Quote you? Reference you? You are a person posting on a rumor board. You are hidden behind the vail of secrecy that is your User Name. Quoting a rumor board post in an article would have discredited Al's article.

For someone who is CONSTANTly going all Locke on social media, you seem to have missed a big part of how it works. Though you have gained the trust of this board with your pretty accurate inside information, that doesn't mean that your rumors are worth quoting in a 'news' article. Social media is not really a solid reference, much in the same way you shouldn't use Wiki when writing a paper. Quit complaining about it and get back to providing why people (myself included) read your posts: your intelligent, insightful, insider information...

Those things had to happen to him. That was his destiny. But you'll understand soon enough that there are consequences to being chosen.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I know it may be too much to ask but for once I want a person in charge that makes decisions based on being the right thing to do. The Disney way. Someone that asks if Walt was unfrozen today and toured this park, what would he think??? Would he say its ok to lower standards to save money or would he rip off his own mustache in anger that we let his legacy go to crap???

I understand that people get scared to rock the boat and go against the grain... Wish someone would just grow a pair and fix it. It takes money to make money. Disney is more than a brand-it is a culture and legacy. As a person in executive leadership, I have angered my peers and superiors by taking the side of the customer. My stance is EVERY DECISION made needs to have only the customers best interest in mind. If I get fired, I can sleep at night knowing I did what was right.

I respect that viewpoint, but it is one that is not shared by 98% of execs out there, most especially at huge corps like TWDC.

WDW is the way it is now because of decisions made in boardrooms dating back to the 1990s -- back when Georgie K had that way kewl office built for himself backstage.

I have no doubt that if George could run WDW in a manner more akin to the quality when he was working his way up from being a busboy (they'll play on that story in PR, but he spent about as much time doing that as I'd spend talking to Lou Mongello), he would. But he isn't going to be given unlimited resources. I'd say he'll get very limited ones.

It will be interesting to see if he is allowed to reallocate the funds from Avatar if the project heads to the trash pile of bad ideas (looking more likely yet again).

I just can't wait to see the old lug back on home turf!:D

WDW1974

Original Poster
She was not promoted.
She is in what is largely a figurehead role, where she will serve quietly before stepping down.

As for a replacement. I kinda expect to see that job go away when Meg leaves. It's superfluous.

Yep. Disney is spinning it that she is permanently moving into a job that was simply temporary since she has held it. That means from July 2011 to January 2013, Meg had a temp job. Who knew?

And there seems to be some contradictory info floating around about her relocating to Burbank. While I believe she will be spending more time out there and even possibly have weekly commutes, I don't believe she will be leaving O-Town.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Do you have the LOST Encyclopedia? I got it for Christmas! I might give you a run for your money on the LOST front, I was pretty addicted.

No. I never got that. A writer I knew was going to send me a copy, but that never happened and I never followed up.

But while you may give me a run in Lost trivia (tonight during a fanboi phone call I couldn't recall the character names for Kate and Claire, which freaked me out a bit ... too much stress, not enough sleep), well, let's just say I am very close to some members of the cast and crew and it has afforded me some incredible experiences.

I just wish the ending had been a bit better (BUT PLEASE let's not turn this into a Lost thread). feel free to PM about said subject.

WDW1974

Original Poster

Late?!?! I live on west coast time on the east coast. I really miss living in LA.

You can't be serious. Yes, I do expect Al to acknowledge when others have beat him to a story and not simply pretend he had it first. That's the ethical thing to do. And, no, quoting a message board poster (let alone one with a VERY long history and VERY good track record) wouldn't have discredited Al's article. You must have missed that Brooks Barnes of the New York Times (pretty much the USA's newspaper of record) quoted online posters from some site called Stitch Kingdom in his NEXT GEN piece and in a recent CBJ-redo story quoted many anonymous posters from sites, including this one. And he is a REAL journalist working for a highly respected news organization.

Oh, and I like my veil, it makes me look oh so sexy. I do let the fanbois remove it during foreplay if they've been nice.

While I appreciate all feedback, I think yours is misplaced here. You probably just have hatch fever and need to get up and out a bit.

But thanks for the compliment.

WDW1974

Original Poster
You beat me to it, i was getting ready to say the same thing. However Al did mention over a year ago there would be changes to Meg's title. So I believe it's fair to say that everyone knew it was coming.

Yes. Except that there was no actual change to her title or responsibilities.

And never once did Al or anyone else suggest that George was replacing Meg even after he was seen here at the Fantasyland opening. I truly wonder why none of the folks who read what I write ever thought that might just be the smoking gun.

So, no, everyone didn't know it was coming. A very few of us did ... and I don't believe Al knew it until this weekend.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Those things had to happen to him. That was his destiny. But you'll understand soon enough that there are consequences to being chosen.

This is sooooo true.

I just hope George is wiser this time around.

No need for the Spirit to turn into the Smoke Monster. @Lee has seen that and it ain't pretty (sorta like the morning after an Imagineer/fanboi mixer).

Bolna

Yes. Except that there was no actual change to her title or responsibilities.

And never once did Al or anyone else suggest that George was replacing Meg even after he was seen here at the Fantasyland opening. I truly wonder why none of the folks who read what I write ever thought that might just be the smoking gun.

So, no, everyone didn't know it was coming. A very few of us did ... and I don't believe Al knew it until this weekend.

You know, I never doubted what you posted. Having read your posts since you appeared on this site I was pretty sure that if you post about it with that much certainty then it was more or less a done deal. However, I am still very impressed how 100% correct the subject line of this thread is - even after it turns out that Meg stays on. But not as head of WDW, that's the role where she is going to be replaced by Geaorge K.

PeterAlt

You're right. It was TDO that tore it down. ;)
Good thing there wasn't a busted sewer pipe there, or it would have been a "stink" hole!

(Corny joke drum roll, please...)

Edit addition: "Ain't I a stinker!"

(Sorry, that's Toon Town Spin, wrong park)

FrankLapidus

Um ... as like the biggest Lost fan out there (I once tried to steal Michael Emerson's Emmy! REALLY!), those numbers will always be my lucky ones.

It doesn't happen often but I'll have to disagree with you there Spirit ;).

Do you know George's feelings on the projects in the pipeline at WDW? Could his relocation to Florida have any knock-on effect on those projects?

alphac2005

I think Al has the skill set to be a professional journalist, by NO means, is that to be construed that he is one now or has ever played that role. Doesn't mean that he hasn't broken more Disney stories than the LA Times and OC Register combined in the last 15 years. And he should be respected for that.

Now, do I have issues him? Hell yeah, not the least of which is his site passed off his column yesterday and George K's new job as 'news' when I broke that here last month (and much of his column is a patch-work of what I've been writing online for a long time). And he has a long history of this.

It's sorta classless. Miceage/Micechat didn't break anything. They put up a crazy rumour about LoTR. But when it comes to WDW and these moves, they 'borrowed' to put it kindly. And I don't appreciate it.

It's funny that you get a tad bit of ribbing here because of your style, but the information that you provide is generally first and so-to-speak, breaking. While Lutz has provided many nuggets over the years, it's always clear that there is some agenda from elsewhere in what he provides. He acts as though he's high and mighty and that all his breaking news stories are sourced from him directly, although we know that many times he's late to the party. He's not a real journalist (although the closest that fan sites seem to provide in a columnist), yet continues to pretend to be such more than a decade after he started this on his prior site. Not to mention his disdain for the Florida property, it gets old.

SJN1279

I just hope he gives us Everest 2.0(complete with new Yeti, a killer soundtrack, an actual show scene at the track switch, and maybe some pre-show TV monitors to hammer home a good backstory). 50 million from the Avatar money should cover it.

MattM

DCA is certainly an example of the latter. All he had to do was show up and not screw anything up and he did that to perfection.

There's a lot to be said for that. All too often people get in their own (or their company's) way and mess up what should be an easy project.

menamechris

I am anxious for George to be back in Orlando. I think it will be VERY interesting to see how this affects potential projects being discussed for WDW. I hope that we can expect more under his leadership. Poor Meg never seemed to understand the theme park business.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom