Galaxys Edge "camping out"

Patcheslee

Soooo are there any live feeds going to be connected other than the opening ceremony? I honestly wonder how crazy packed it could get with such early parking access.

WhatJaneSays

The official word will ALWAYS be that there will be no camping. No public facing Disney source will indicate that camping was ever on the table. Now that being said ... what the official info is and what happens on the ground can turn out very differently. (And the kind of Star Wars fans camping will attract particularly are well aware of this.) Disney can very much prevent a line if they want, and I'm 100% sure that is their intention. They do not want a line, it rarely ends well.

To re-state my assumptions from the other thread, based on both my experience as a Star Wars fan waiting in lines and also as a professional that has to deal with special events, these are my realistic expectations if that intent does not survive first contact with the enemy ... er ... fans:

• 2½-2 Weeks to open: Early Passholders/locals will start scoping out the entrance, front of park, and any available staging space in park for changes indicating the likely locations of a line on a daily basis. A few bolder individuals will make an attempt to stealth-line and will be shoo'ed away.
  • 1½-1 Weeks to open: The attempts to make a stealth-line will reach critical annoyance mass. Disney will take official action and announce their line plan (this will likely be between "there will be no line" and "you may line up when the park closes the previous day")
  • 7-5 Days to open: People will abide by the "no line" and return to scoping out the area for changes. Some car camping will be attempted (they WILL be towed if they try) and early line hopefuls will try to band together for round the clock checking.
  • 5-4 Days to open: The situation will again reach critical annoyance mass and Disney will either "ignore" the pre-line line that has started to form or take direct action and start trespassing people. The official word will remain as stated before (but any plans arranged for a line will start to go into play at this point).
  • 4-2 Days to open: If Disney let the unofficial line survives it will become the "official" unofficial line. Word will get out at about the 48-hour mark and people afraid of being disbursed out of an unofficial line will join the line.
  • 2 Days to open: All pretense of not allowing a line will be gone. There are 2 paths: the line stays and becomes the actual official line OR everyone is dispersed. (If the line is dispersed hard-core round the clock stalking begins.)

DisneyGigi

It's tradition, helps build anticipation (not that they need to, lol) and part of the fun/experience at this point. Sort of like tailgating before a football game.
I guess I may kinda get it, but not really. Seems like setting yourself up for a bad time with crowds, if you are not local. I get tailgating but only when my son played football in high school and we made the most food. It was more about the parents getting together beforehand, we all knew each other anyway. Small towns, I guess. 😂

DisneyCane

Why did people stand in line for 6 hours in City Walk for the chance to see HP on day one?

Because fans are dumb.*

* Which is why evil will always triumph over good.
It's a little different with a movie. Being among the first to see it eliminates the chance of spoilers.

Also, once seated it doesn't really matter how crowded it is for comfort. I wouldn't want any part of wall to wall people pushing and shoving just to walk to the restroom.

It's never going to be empty but after a few months hopefully it will be bearable.

imarc

It's a little different with a movie. Being among the first to see it eliminates the chance of spoilers.

Also, once seated it doesn't really matter how crowded it is for comfort. I wouldn't want any part of wall to wall people pushing and shoving just to walk to the restroom.

It's never going to be empty but after a few months hopefully it will be bearable.

You make a good point about why you'd want to get in among the first for a movie, but...

I was referring to the opening of Harry Potter at Islands of Adventure, not a line at the City Walk AMC.

wizarding-world-opening-day-crowds-2010-2.jpg

Mikey73181

It may be that DLR absorbs the initial Star Wars, gotta be first to see crowds, and DHS just deals with new land mega crowds.

I’m surprised that especially with the earlier than originally planned openings for each parks lands, that they didn’t try and open up both on the same day. Slow down DLR and speed up WDW to line them both up. Then maybe that would split the crowds between the two instead of people traveling across the country for one or the other. You know there are going to be crazy people that want to be there the first day on both coasts.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I’m surprised that especially with the earlier than originally planned openings for each parks lands, that they didn’t try and open up both on the same day. Slow down DLR and speed up WDW to line them both up. Then maybe that would split the crowds between the two instead of people traveling across the country for one or the other. You know there are going to be crazy people that want to be there the first day on both coasts.

I think they could have had them done at the same time, but I also believe they had a reason for opening DL first.

the_rich

Well DLR is definitely going to be packed but I can't see people camping out. Once they announced that Disney hotel guests would be guaranteed a reservation for the land I switched to paradise pier for my trip June 7-11. I got a call today that they oversold the hotel and they upgraded me to the Grand Californian for free. I'm hoping it won't be too crazy and people without a reservation stay away. Wishful thinking I think.

lazyboy97o

Given how other Orlando projects have slowed down just to get GE at DHS open by August, I'm not sure they could have gotten it open any sooner.
Disney doesn’t serve as their own general contractor. They can’t force one contractor to lend their staff and subcontractors to another, competing firm.

imarc

Disney doesn’t serve as their own general contractor. They can’t force one contractor to lend their staff and subcontractors to another, competing firm.

OK. I was basing this on Jim Hill talking about how MRR fell behind because labor was shifted to GE.

I didn't realize that each of these projects were being done by different contractors.

DisneyCane

You make a good point about why you'd want to get in among the first for a movie, but...

I was referring to the opening of Harry Potter at Islands of Adventure, not a line at the City Walk AMC.

wizarding-world-opening-day-crowds-2010-2.jpg
Sorry I misunderstood. In that case, I don't understand that either. I wouldn't go to the opening day of one of these lands if in return I got an all expense paid trip. I can't think of anything more miserable for less return (except maybe times square on new year's eve).

HauntedMansionFLA

I assume the line to get into DHS parking lot will start here. People will have to wait for cast members to come on duty to collect the guest parking fees.
DD8AEE32-9D2D-4299-85FB-DC9FA8C6240E.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom