News Future World confirmed to be split into 3 neighborhoods

mikejs78

Premium Member
Disagree wholeheartedly. Rides solve the problem! Epcot needs rides. DAK needs rides. DHS (for the love of god) needs rides. Rides make everything better. Its why you go to a theme park: To ride rides with some theming around it. Rides should be the main focus!

And no, Disney cannot easily add rides. They can easily add restaurants and shopping...it’s what they do for breakfast. But for rides, they apparently must must acquire a congressional resolution, hire consultants from another dimension, perform twelve focus groups, drive pilings in the earth for at least 18 months and extend the budget across 46 different fiscal quarters.
I agree completely...the new spine and names for existing areas do absolutely nothing to fix EPCOT's problems....Rides do...not a diaper wash water play area, but an actual ride... Adding a giant building as a festival center with a uncharge viewing area on the roof for fireworks os also not going to fix EPCOT...Rides will... Fix Imagination, update the Living Seas.. Finish Up GOTG , Mary Poppins whatever it is, and Rat...Now add an attraction to Italy, Germany and Japan... and amazing the park would be fixed without spending a billion dollars on demolition and landscape rebuilding... Move the "Festival Center " into Innoventions...OMG they have more room in there than they were going to build in the tabletop!
Rides and refurbishments will fix the park more than any of this meaningless Billion dollar spine rebuild will. The park was amazing until they allowed it to become dated... Finish out the park the way it was intended and imagined before chucking out the whole concept...

Rides are important but they are hardly the only element. Otherwise, I'd just go to six flags.

Consider DAK. It has few rides, yet is the #2 park in attendance in Orlando and #3 in the US, and it ranks very high in guest satisfaction. Yes, it and every park could use more rides, and they are important, but they are hardly the only thing.

Based on what others have said, this is only the beginning. Updates to Imagination, Land, and Seas are being planned, for example... But the general atmosphere and theming needed an update. I may have preferred a different approach, but to say that all they needed to do was to focus on rides misses the point of a theme park.

eddie104

Rides are important but they are hardly the only element. Otherwise, I'd just go to six flags.

Consider DAK. It has few rides, yet is the #2 park in attendance in Orlando and #3 in the US, and it ranks very high in guest satisfaction. Yes, it and every park could use more rides, and they are important, but they are hardly the only thing.

Based on what others have said, this is only the beginning. Updates to Imagination, Land, and Seas are being planned, for example... But the general atmosphere and theming needed an update. I may have preferred a different approach, but to say that all they needed to do was to focus on rides misses the point of a theme park.
Rides were not going to fix Future World's problems and Disney can build rides anytime they want and people should be more grateful they even cared enough to do redo Epcot the way they are.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Rides were not going to fix Future World's problems and Disney can build rides anytime they want and people should be more grateful they even cared enough to do redo Epcot the way they are.
Good rides designed around a central idea, a theme if you will, very much would have fixed Future World. Disney didn’t because they don’t understand why people are so focused on rides.

eddie104

Good rides designed around a central idea, a theme if you will, very much would have fixed Future World. Disney didn’t because they don’t understand why people are so focused on rides.
You of all people should know that is not how Disney works and honestly the existing rides need help first before they start adding some more.

lazyboy97o

You of all people should know that is not how Disney works and honestly the existing rides need help first before they start adding some more.
What is not how Disney works? They’re not fixing the existing rides. They’re tearing stuff down because they don’t have ideas on how to actually fill the park. Any ride changes are still pending and slated for the future.

eddie104

What is not how Disney works? They’re not fixing the existing rides. They’re tearing stuff down because they don’t have ideas on how to actually fill the park. Any ride changes are still pending and slated for the future.
Apply for a job at WDI already since your such an expert on everything Disney because at this rate getting rid of a trash can at the parks would bother you. Some fans care about more than just rides and want to see things actually improve and develop more cohesive themes.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Apply for a job at WDI already since your such an expert on everything Disney because at this rate getting rid of a trash can at the parks would bother you. Some fans care about more than just rides and want to see things actually improve and develop a more cohesive theme in my opinion.
That's not much of an answer. What cohesive theme? It's a lot of the same stuff.

lazyboy97o

If you don't like the new direction that's fine but I don't understand why your questioning me for liking it so otherwise please move on from this discussion.
I never questioned you for liking it. I questioned your conclusion that good rides would not fix Future World, that fewer buildings and different names does fix it.

eddie104

I never questioned you for liking it. I questioned your conclusion that good rides would not fix Future World.
They would have helped but wouldn't have solved Future World's identity crisis. These new neighborhoods allow them more flexibility to build new rides to fit the respective themes. If you don't see that or choose to ignore it that is fine with me but I totally understood the predicament they were in trying to come up with something that wouldn't be outdated in five years. Sometimes our personal desires get in the way of seeing the bigger picture and I'm not saying what WDI came up with is perfect but it is a start.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
They would have helped but wouldn't have solved Future World's identity crisis. These new neighborhoods allow them more flexibility to build new rides to fit the respective themes. If you don't see that or choose to ignore it that is fine with me but I totally understood the predicament they were in trying to come up with something that wouldn't be outdated in five years. Sometimes our personal desires get in the way of seeing the bigger picture and I'm not saying what WDI came up with is perfect but it is a start.

The corporate sponsored edutainment has been on life support for a few decades. Time to try something else.

UNCgolf

Its why you go to a theme park: To ride rides with some theming around it. Rides should be the main focus!

For some people; not for everyone. I know several people who love Disney World and barely ever ride rides (one of them was there for 5 days recently and rode three rides total during the trip) because they don't really like them.

I'd agree that the majority care the most about rides, though, and that's what will bring more people to the parks.

lazyboy97o

My personal desire is not to keep the name Future World or the mess that exists now. The future is much bigger than just next years gadget models. Future World's problem was that it was based on ideas, ideas expressed in the new names, and the Company has long stopped caring about themes. The new neighborhoods don't create focus, but are after the fact explanations for the lack of focus. What doesn't fit in with Discovery or Celebration?

The corporate sponsored edutainment has been on life support for a few decades. Time to try something else.
So? They're not trying something else. They're renaming what they have been doing for some time.

Thelazer

Well, I lost all hope at the naming conventions change and it appears there is no "real' plan for the imag pavilon at this point, so you can bet it will go "seasonal" shortly after this whole deal gets done. I dunno, seems like they missed the mark on this one pretty bad.

Phicinfan

Disagree wholeheartedly. Rides solve the problem! Epcot needs rides. DAK needs rides. DHS (for the love of god) needs rides. Rides make everything better. Its why you go to a theme park: To ride rides with some theming around it. Rides should be the main focus!

And no, Disney cannot easily add rides. They can easily add restaurants and shopping...it’s what they do for breakfast. But for rides, they apparently must must acquire a congressional resolution, hire consultants from another dimension, perform twelve focus groups, drive pilings in the earth for at least 18 months and extend the budget across 46 different fiscal quarters.
I will disagree with you here some.
I agree that DAK and DHS needs more rides, DAK could really use one more big E ticket.
But EPCOT to me was not meant to be a MK or big ride center, they focus on more. A new Pavilion that has some kind of draw(not necessarily a ride) and updating more of what exists - Seas and Imagination come to mind can really do more.
I love that they have small attractions and rides in WS and hope if they DO add a new pavilion it has one, but to me rides is not the draw of Epcot.

tparris

I was thinking, and on that poster at d23 that they based on the 21st century poster with SSE, it said “on the brink of a new age, October 1, 2019.” We know that Oct 1 is the premier of Epcot Forever, but is it possible that maybe the new names and logos will be going into effect then as well?

Missing20K

LOL.

Dr. Sherwood Washburn of Berkeley would laugh at your assertion.
Would he? Primatology and Paleoanthropology may or may not be classified as Anthropology, depending on to whom one speaks. But, the study of each, Anthropolgically speaking, is done comparatively to determine what biology, behaviors and language humans have in common with species (or pre-historic humans and hominids) that share large amounts of DNA. Studying primates without a corresponding reference to human behavior and/or biology is absolutely not an Anthropological study.
Apply for a job at WDI already since your such an expert on everything Disney because at this rate getting rid of a trash can at the parks would bother you. Some fans care about more than just rides and want to see things actually improve and develop more cohesive themes.
Ahhh, the old "well just go get a job at WDI if you think you know so much" trope. Come on, @eddie104 we all know you're a better forum member than to stoop to such low brow attacks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom