Future of the Hollywood Tower of Terror

Kirby86

While not impossible, highly unlikely given the IP mandate.
Yeah I think Disney wants out of the Twilight Zone theme since they don't want to have to pay CBS a licensing fee. I think they are hoping that the movie (again if it's still in development) will be successful enough to drop Twilight Zone. Disney knows they will have to tread very carefully if the decide to retheme it. DCAs retheme worked out but it was around for only 10 years Hollywood Studios has been around for 30.

Bocabear

TOT is one of the Imagineering masterpieces like Haunted Mansion and POTC. No way does it need to be changed or remodeled....and the Twilight Zaone licensing I am sure is not much... beyond that why hasnt Disney just purchased the IP ? they seem to have bought just about everything else... a little used IP like Twilight Zone can't be a problem for them... and they could really expand on it once they own it... A whole new Disney Channel Twilight Zone series would be amazing... I am bored with Star Wars and Super Heroes...

Kirby86

CBS has to want to sell the IP for Disney to buy it. Every few years they like to reboot the franchise and plus I would think that they make some money off of the syndication of the original series. I'm pretty sure the license fee isn't outrageous for Disney at least in the grand scheme of things, however Disney seems to want to limit outside IP in their parks. So if they drop Twilight Zone the take care of not paying CBS and the park icon isn't tied to another company's IP. Just to be clear I want them to keep the Twilight Zone theme.

JustInTime

That's the best case scenario for me. If TZ has to go, then why not just do what Tokyo did and make an original story about a haunted mask or artifact possessing the tower. All they'd have to change is the music and the fifth dimension room, which could easily be done by filling that space with some new effects or an animatronic to go with the new storyline.

While Paris's new version still has the TZ branding, the new story focuses more on the little ghost girl being the main antagonist of the tower. The tower is so iconic at WDW, and it could still be called "Tower of Terror" without retheming it to Doctor Strange or some other IP.
Exactly!!

Bocabear

Under the IP mandate, all non-IP attractions are possible targets for a retheme. Conjecture is warranted.
Well of course the more everyone keeps asking for a re-theme the more likely at somepoint it will happen....and badly. So I would just prefer to not put the attraction inn the crosshairs for being ruined permanently. It's a great attraction....any retheme will be much less so.....

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well of course the more everyone keeps asking for a re-theme the more likely at somepoint it will happen....and badly. So I would just prefer to not put the attraction inn the crosshairs for being ruined permanently. It's a great attraction....any retheme will be much less so.....
Thanks for your concern.

But, I'll continue to conjecture.

Doctor Strange.

Ice Gator

Thanks for your concern.

Doctor Strange.
Let’s not give them any more ideas, though I do believe this would be the easiest (and cheapest) way to retheme it if they were going to. Screens, screens, a big Sanctum symbol to replace the HTH sign, and more screens.

Kirby86

I don't think anyone is begging Disney to change the theme of the ride. It's just with the way the company is going its one of those what ifs? Just pure speculation.

Rodj

Let’s not give them any more ideas, though I do believe this would be the easiest (and cheapest) way to retheme it if they were going to. Screens, screens, a big Sanctum symbol to replace the HTH sign, and more screens.
You have to remember, the DHS ToT ride system is very different. The show shafts are only capable of moving at “normal” speeds as they have more standard elevator motors in them, and there is no room in the drop shaft except at the bottom for a screen(which there already is).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The IP mandate exists.

Almost all non-IP attractions are targets for an IP retheme.

So, I'll not only conjecture, but suggest an IP I'd like to see if the mandate is applied.

SpectreJordan

Thanks for your concern.

Doctor Strange.
Man, that'd be a waste of that IP. Dr Strange should be more like Haunted Mansion or Mystic Manor.

I think if Disney wanted to fully retheme ToT, they would've done it at the same time as DCA. If we get any changes, I think it'll just be to remove the TZ theming. Like others have said, they can use this supposed movie to justify it. Or the Tower is kind of just a park IP like Figment or Haunted at this point, it could stand on its own under the IP mandate that way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom