Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I also like the ignore list feature, as it makes rude comments instantly disappear making my overall outlook on the forums a happier one :)!

Welcome. And with all due respect you may as well just go ahead and put me on ignore before I waste any time responding to your extremely elementary view of what WS is/was/should be. If you favor a cartoon shoehorn to satiate your desire for an attraction update, then I fear any attempt to explain why quality 'edutainment' is more appropriate in ECPOT would be a lost cause.

acishere

A Danish fairy tale adapted by an American animation studio that used some Norwegian inspired imagery in the film does not seem like the proper IP to represent Norway.

TDO is not going to temporarily stick something in Norway until they are ready to make a more appropriate attraction to match the demand. This is and a snowman on a stick at DHS are what you are going to get. And this is much bigger issue than Gran Fiesta or a game that most people probably never notice. Once Maelstrom is overlayed, the only thing left in Norway that is about Norway will be a bakery.

Jeff456

Why are Disney not announcing anything? I thought they normally gave us some notice prior to refurbishing/updating attractions?

PlutoHasFleas

Welcome. And with all due respect you may as well just go ahead and put me on ignore before I waste any time responding to your extremely elementary view of what WS is/was/should be. If you favor a cartoon shoehorn to satiate your desire for an attraction update, then I fear any attempt to explain why quality 'edutainment' is more appropriate in ECPOT would be a lost cause.
You got it. Calling my views "extremely elementary" is already insulting enough. Good day.

FrankLapidus

Sorry, but when Kim Possible, Duffy, and the Caballeros invaded, they compromised the integrity of WS by the way you are describing it.

That doesn't excuse them from denegrating it any further and just illustrates how out of touch and uncaring those in charge today are of the legacy they have inherited and should look to build on through innovative, imaginative and original new creations. If they want to add quality attractions to World Showcase then it really wouldn't be difficult for them to look in their own archives at the projects developed by legends such as Herb Ryman and Sam McKim that did celebrate the rich cultures of each country.

Instead, they shoehorn in the latest cash cow and disregard what World Showcase was created to do. The fact they've done it before is no excuse, just a sad illustration of how out of touch TDO management continues to be.

I love WDW, I love Epcot and I love World Showcase but for me its been pretty clear that the current management simply have no love or respect for the park and what it was originally intended to be since I first experienced the pathetic mess that is Imagination!. This seemingly imminent overlay just further illustrates that point.

I really enjoyed Frozen but nothing will convince me that a very loose adatation of a story by a Danish author set in a fictional kingdom belongs in World Showcase, not when WDW's flagship park has a large area dedicated to the fairytales that Disney have already adapted for their animated features.

PlutoHasFleas

That doesn't excuse them from denegrating it any further and just illustrates how out of touch and uncaring those in charge today are of the legacy they have inherited and should look to build on through innovative, imaginative and original new creations. If they want to add quality attractions to World Showcase then it really wouldn't be difficult for them to look in their own archives at the projects developed by legends such as Herb Ryman and Sam McKim that did celebrate the rich cultures of each country.

Instead, they shoehorn in the latest cash cow and disregard what World Showcase was created to do. The fact they've done it before is no excuse, just a sad illustration of how out of touch TDO management continues to be.

I love WDW, I love Epcot and I love World Showcase but for me its been pretty clear that the current management simply have no love or respect for the park and what it was originally intended to be since I first experienced the pathetic mess that is Imagination!. This seemingly imminent overlay just further illustrates that point.
Very well put. It is nice to see such valid arguments.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Lol, well that's just because they aren't for you. You obviously are not in their target demographic :happy:

I can think for myself and dont soil my blue jeans when Disney announces cutbacks or completes lackluster "expansions" that pale in comparison to anything the company did when ran by people who had a clue of how a theme park should be operated, so I guess I am no longer in the demographic either

ryan1

Original Poster
The issue I have with the overlay is that it ISN'T doing the Frozen phenomenon justice. I'm not a big fan of the movie to begin with, I like Tangled more, but I can see the popularity of it and the opportunity that Disney has to hit a home run with it.

From a business stand point, they would be missing out on a fantastic opportunity if they simply 'Let it Go'. Frozen is a cash cow with a "if you build it they will come" kind of draw to it, so it makes sense to add it to every park as they have been doing so far. The Maelstrom update is a quick, cheap way to satisfy the Frozen thirst, make tons of money in the process, all the while leaving the possibility of a return of the classic attraction. It really seems like the best move for them right now.

If Frozen doesn't 'thaw', then they will be around when TDO is ready to expand MK again, and in that case, a trackless ride would be a perfect fit.

Frozen is a cash cow, yes, and that cash cow is being milked at MGM as we speak with the Frozen Summer stuff. The best way in my mind to do the Frozen phenom justice AND improve a park would be to build a Frozen ride at MGM. Extend the Frozen Summer for however long it takes to build the ride. This keeps the Frozen presence, which is already established in a park that desperately needs new rides, fresh.

Quick and cheap is NOT what Disney should be doing, especially after the Potter expansions, to please guests and especially the fans of the movie. A quick overlay is going to leave fans of the movie disappointed more than entertained.

PlutoHasFleas

If you put everybody here on ignore you would have a .....PODCAST...oh wait....you already do!
Excuse me?!? Why such an incredible amount of disdain for podcasting? Why are you discouraging someone from doing what they enjoy? I haven't even mentioned my podcasts, you investigated me on your own accord in attempt to insult me. Farewell to you too, pal.

Mike S

If you put everybody here on ignore you would have a .....PODCAST...oh wait....you already do!
image.jpg

lazyboy97o

But Disney doesn't want to pay for it. The money either comes from Norway or Frozen, and Norway said 'Let it Go'.
Where did you get the idea that the Studio would be paying for the new attraction?

Explanations are not necessary, Elsa is magic and her castle isn't stationary. There goes the idea of fictional Arendale, leaving the setting strictly in Norway.
No, you're just suggesting that the Queen has again run off from her country after a foreign aristocrat tried to seize control by initiating a succession crisis.

A popular character overlay is hardly equivalent to a snack counter.
Never said it was. The snack counter is all that would be left of anything having to do with Norway.

Umm, so keep the parks the way they are? I was lambasted for thinking those kind of opinions are out there...
Never said anything close to that.

Which is why I agree with the Frozen overlay of Maelstrom. If it ever goes "meh", they can take it out and have a resurgence of nostalgiaphiles in the park. Imagine "The FURY of The Maelstrom is back!" lol.
What would be a precedent for such an idea?

Sorry, but when Kim Possible, Duffy, and the Caballeros invaded, they compromised the integrity of WS by the way you are describing it.
So? Previous bad ideas don't justify more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom