Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike S

Used to? What about the enormous expansion that was just completed in MK. Another expansion specifically for one film doesn't make sense and would be impractical.
You mean the one that was built on land that used to be 20,000 leagues before it closed nearly 20 years ago and the removal of another ride for a M&G? -2+2=0 according to my math. It is pretty though I'll give it that.

PlutoHasFleas

You mean the one that was built on land that used to be 20,000 leagues before it closed nearly 20 years ago and the removal of another ride for a M&G? -2+2=0 according to my math. It is pretty though I'll give it that.
No, in fact there was an actual expansion of the park. 7DMT currently rests in the area of the former 20K lagoon.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No, in fact there was an actual expansion of the park. 7DMT currently rests in the area of the former 20K lagoon.
The entire NFL is within the original park attraction boundary. So it wasn't an expansion. Unlike say Tomorrowland 74-5. Infact, the park has been expanded numerous times since 1971. NFL wasn't one of these occasions. It has a new pathway to relieve some congestion in Fantasyland but the boundary pushed nothing outwards.

PlutoHasFleas

The entire NFL is within the original park attraction boundary. So it wasn't an expansion. Unlike say Tomorrowland 74-5. Infact, the park has been expanded numerous times since 1971. NFL wasn't one of these occasions. It has a new pathway to relieve some congestion in Fantasyland but the boundary pushed nothing outwards.
I remember seeing satellite of the utilidor entrance before the NFL construction began, and the FL boundary didn't extend past the utilidor entrance.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I remember seeing satellite of the utilidor entrance before the NFL construction began, and the FL boundary didn't extend past the utilidor entrance.
Indeed. And still doesn't.

It extends as far as it used to when the 20k dry dock and designated maintainence storage was in place.

In lieu of me pulling blueprints out, the north wall of the Mermaid show building is identical to the north wall of the 20k show building. And both ran due west.

Put another way, Magic Kingdom Drive is still where it was in 1971.

Last edited:

PlutoHasFleas

BUT.... Since this is about Maelstrom and a misguided overlay and the NFL debate has been discussed ad nauseum on these boards for five years now, why not get back on topic?
I understand. The only reason I brought it up was to combat the idea of another expansion in MK, this time solely dedicated to Frozen.

PlutoHasFleas

Now that's a good idea.

That or DHS. The latter could use it more.
No, no, I would be against another expansion for a single film released not even a year ago. And DHS is the most ridiculous placement option for a permanent Frozen attraction because IMO Frozen has nothing to do with the Hollywood that never was. (Nor does TSMM, but lets not go there...)

Mike S

No, no, I would be against another expansion for a single film released not even a year ago. And DHS is the most ridiculous placement option for a permanent Frozen attraction because IMO Frozen has nothing to do with the Hollywood that never was. (Nor does TSMM, but lets not go there...)
It has nothing to do with the real country of Norway either except for some artistic design choices. We have officially come full circle now :)

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Why, because it has nothing to do with the movies?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
In all fairness, DHS lost its cohesive theme years ago. With another makeover on the horizon and an empty Pixar Place looking for another anchor it'd be a better fit than the culturally led (in theory) World Showcase. Plus DHS is crying out for capacity and draw.

Better yet stick it in Fantasyland. It'll match the other attractions and would be perfectly placed for its intended demographic. There's a large tent and some ancillary space that a cute D Ticket dark ride could fit into. They designed and built Pirates and Caribbean Plaza in 20 months back in the day. A simple Omni to please the kids and satisfy the Frozen movement could be done in a year if they wanted to (and be quicker than the protracted Norway proposal).

Personally I don't see what the fuss is about with the film but guests say otherwise. Give it at least something fitting and of such scale to match the mania. The suits think it needs more presence but at least they could do it properly. Thus ends my armchair imagineering since it's just MHO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom