Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlutoHasFleas

Thank you all for your warm welcome. I look forward to continuing to discuss hot topics like this with everyone in the future.

I really like this forum! Members are active and have very strong opinions. I also like the ignore list feature, as it makes rude comments instantly disappear making my overall outlook on the forums a happier one :)!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thank you all for your warm welcome. I look forward to continuing to discuss hot topics like this with everyone in the future.

I really like this forum! Members are active and have very strong opinions. I also like the ignore list feature, as it makes rude comments instantly disappear making my overall outlook on the forums a happier one :)!
Oh its a great place.

Just follow the house rules and don't step on too many toes. Treat people as you'd want to be treated and it can be a very nice home.

minsmk

I guess this frozen idea really doesn't appeal to me because my reaction to the movie was "Meh, good music but the story and characters were boring. Beautiful sights and colors but just sort of meh.." . IMO It was okay.. Not the best (Hunchback, BATB ect.) not the worst (Chicken little, Home on the range ect.) it was just plain "Okay"

So turning an Okay movie into a ride that replaces a childhood favorite.. Not a good mix :/

MotherOfBirds

If they built a Frozen ride now, I imagine that it would be about on the same scale and level of quality of LM, which (besides the pretty facade) is pretty "meh". They could probably cash in on whatever is left of the mania at that point, and then afterwards it would be just another "meh" ride with a theme that people are sick of.

I'd like to see another Everest happen in the net decade (disco yeti notwithstanding): an interesting, well-themed attraction that need only rely on said interesting concept to sell. It wouldn't even need to be as thrilling or on the same scale necessarily.

PlutoHasFleas

Personally I don't see what the fuss is about with the film but guests say otherwise.
Agreed. I don't think A&E will be around very long, they have terrible attitudes in the film when you break it down.

I also agree with you about DHS, which makes the placement of a permanent Frozen attraction there seems like seem like the most absurd to me. Throwing in another E ticket ride while disregarding the theme of the theme park is like putting a band aid on a gunshot wound.

I guess that's why minimally invasive Frozen overlay of Maelstrom makes the most sense to me. It is geographically acceptable to see Frozen characters in the Norway pavilion, and maybe in some way, little kids that are fans of Frozen will learn about Norway, which is what WS is all about anyways. Plus, it's going to make Disney MEGA bucks, and that is something I can not hate.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Personally I find more cartoons in world showcase - or Epcot - to be reprehensible but that's just my opinion. It's not like they have a custom built area for cartoon characters and fantasy. Oh wait....

Good job I don't run the place huh?

PlutoHasFleas

They could probably cash in on whatever is left of the mania at that point, and then afterwards it would be just another "meh" ride with a theme that people are sick of.
Which is why I agree with the Frozen overlay of Maelstrom. If it ever goes "meh", they can take it out and have a resurgence of nostalgiaphiles in the park. Imagine "The FURY of The Maelstrom is back!" lol.

I'd like to see another Everest happen in the net decade (disco yeti notwithstanding): an interesting, well-themed attraction that need only rely on said interesting concept to sell. It wouldn't even need to be as thrilling or on the same scale necessarily.
I couldn't agree more. The fabled Mt. Fuji coaster would be an incredibly exiting addition to WS.

PlutoHasFleas

Personally I find more cartoons in world showcase - or Epcot - to be reprehensible but that's just my opinion. It's not like they have a custom built area for cartoon characters and fantasy. Oh wait....

Good job I don't run the place huh?
Lol, well that's just because they aren't for you. You obviously are not in their target demographic :happy:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Agreed. I don't think A&E will be around very long, they have terrible attitudes in the film when you break it down.

I also agree with you about DHS, which makes the placement of a permanent Frozen attraction there seems like seem like the most absurd to me. Throwing in another E ticket ride while disregarding the theme of the theme park is like putting a band aid on a gunshot wound.

I guess that's why minimally invasive Frozen overlay of Maelstrom makes the most sense to me. It is geographically acceptable to see Frozen characters in the Norway pavilion, and maybe in some way, little kids that are fans of Frozen will learn about Norway, which is what WS is all about anyways. Plus, it's going to make Disney MEGA bucks, and that is something I can not hate.

Or the other options is do to nothing more with Frozen, I would rather see proper use of the IP then just cramming it someplace where it's cheap where it doesn't belong. It's not like there is no Frozen representation in the parks. There is plenty of merch, the M&G in MK, it's in the MK parade, and we have the things going on in DHS until at least the end of September and maybe longer.

Mike S

In all fairness, DHS lost its cohesive theme years ago. With another makeover on the horizon and an empty Pixar Place looking for another anchor it'd be a better fit than the culturally led (in theory) World Showcase. Plus DHS is crying out for capacity and draw.

Better yet stick it in Fantasyland. It'll match the other attractions and would be perfectly placed for its intended demographic. There's a large tent and some ancillary space that a cute D Ticket dark ride could fit into. They designed and built Pirates and Caribbean Plaza in 20 months back in the day. A simple Omni to please the kids and satisfy the Frozen movement could be done in a year if they wanted to (and be quicker than the protracted Norway proposal).

Personally I don't see what the fuss is about with the film but guests say otherwise. Give it at least something fitting and of such scale to match the mania. The suits think it needs more presence but at least they could do it properly. Thus ends my armchair imagineering since it's just MHO.
Simple Omni? No no no........ This property is just screaming for a trackless ride. Sled ride vehicles that glide as if they were on ice. It almost makes too much sense.

PlutoHasFleas

Or the other options is do to nothing more with Frozen, I would rather see proper use of the IP then just cramming it someplace where it's cheap where it doesn't belong. It's not like there is no Frozen representation in the parks. There is plenty of merch, the M&G in MK, it's in the MK parade, and we have the things going on in DHS until at least the end of September and maybe longer.
From a business stand point, they would be missing out on a fantastic opportunity if they simply 'Let it Go'. Frozen is a cash cow with a "if you build it they will come" kind of draw to it, so it makes sense to add it to every park as they have been doing so far. The Maelstrom update is a quick, cheap way to satisfy the Frozen thirst, make tons of money in the process, all the while leaving the possibility of a return of the classic attraction. It really seems like the best move for them right now.

If Frozen doesn't 'thaw', then they will be around when TDO is ready to expand MK again, and in that case, a trackless ride would be a perfect fit.

Jeff456

Changing the topic somewhat and I'm sure this has been answered but going back over the last few pages I can't see anything.. Is this refurbishment actually happening? My trip is between 27th September and 11th of October and I love maelstrom in its current form!

PlutoHasFleas

No, its because the animated films and characters were not intended for World Showcase which is supposed to be a celebration of each individual country's history and culture.
Sorry, but when Kim Possible, Duffy, and the Caballeros invaded, they compromised the integrity of WS by the way you are describing it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
From a business stand point, they would be missing out on a fantastic opportunity if they simply 'Let it Go'. Frozen is a cash cow with a "if you build it they will come" kind of draw to it, so it makes sense to add it to every park as they have been doing so far. The Maelstrom update is a quick, cheap way to satisfy the Frozen thirst, make tons of money in the process, all the while leaving the possibility of a return of the classic attraction. It really seems like the best move for them right now.

If Frozen doesn't 'thaw', then they will be around when TDO is ready to expand MK again, and in that case, a trackless ride would be a perfect fit.

Disney parks did not get where they are by doing things quick and cheap just to satisfy the flavor of the day.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Changing the topic somewhat and I'm sure this has been answered but going back over the last few pages I can't see anything.. Is this refurbishment actually happening? My trip is between 27th September and 11th of October and I love maelstrom in its current form!

There is nothing official, although Fastpass is not available for the ride after 10/3 I believe.

PlutoHasFleas

I am only able to reserve FP+ for Maelstrom up until 9/30. As of 10/1, Maelstrom goes on stand-by only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom