Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

the masses cease to realize this due to their indoctrination by the current regime. I will give Disney credit for brainwashing people faster than a cult leader awaiting the mothership.
Given how much Disney has courted the obsessive planners and lifestylers, it is not too surprising. They're groups that crave the overly familiar. What confounds me is why films are still somewhat of an exception.

Next Big Thing

Tell that to Florida Feature Animation.

DCA failed for a lot of reasons. Characters weren't one of them.

No, people want the park that was mean to be different and possibly even more adult to stay that way. Shock horror. Many find the late 80s and early 90s to be EPCOT Centers best years. Mickey and co were there too.

They found the perfect balance. Now they're way past that. The wrong way.
When Florida Feature Animation died, so did any cohesive theme at DHS.

And yes, there were a lot of reasons for DCA's failure, but there were definitely a lot of complaints about lack of DISNEY characters anywhere around the park.

And I agree. This is what I mean. I think there should be a balance. Not just throw everything into one land and call it a day just because animation = Fantasyland. There's room for things in other places, but when you oversaturate, that's when people begin to have a problem with it.

minsmk

I hope that i'm not bothering anyone with my posts lol.

Again, I don't like Frozen but I would be okay with a trackless (Trackless is amazing btw.) Frozen ride in Mk or DHS (Even a friend of mine said "Why don't they use the AIE building area? It's huge and close to the front of the park.) both parks can handle some crowds (Not as much as Epcot or AK but 1. there is not enough room for a big queue and 2. doesn't fit any of the themes.) and would make the perfect place for something Frozen/Frozenland.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I hope that i'm not bothering anyone with my posts lol.

Again, I don't like Frozen but I would be okay with a trackless (Trackless is amazing btw.) Frozen ride in Mk or DHS (Even a friend of mine said "Why don't they use the AIE building area? It's huge and close to the front of the park.) both parks can handle some crowds (Not as much as Epcot or AK but 1. there is not enough room for a big queue and 2. doesn't fit any of the themes.) and would make the perfect place for something Frozen/Frozenland.
Just out of curiosity, what does being close to the front of the park have to do with anything?

Next Big Thing

You must agree to some point since you claimed it a stale idea to oppose inclusion of the animated films.
To a point yes, I agree. I don't think Frozen should be taking over Norway or Ratatouille taking over France. However, a character here or there isn't hurting much imo. As long as things are kept fairly low-key and not being over-saturated as I said in another post, than I think it's ok.

But when you take over an entire pavilion, that's taking it too far. My point was, not all animation needs to be kept to Fantasyland. I personally don't think Frozen would be too bad of a fit for DHS if they actually did it right (but of course the way I have it pictured would change the park fairly drastically).

spacemt354

Chili's
You got it. Calling my views "extremely elementary" is already insulting enough. Good day.

First off, welcome.

Second off, you had said earlier you enjoy people's strong opinions on this site, yet when those strong opinions clash with your views, it's insulting?

Nobody is insulting you, it's just opinions like these....
The Maelstrom update is a quick, cheap way to satisfy the Frozen thirst, make tons of money in the process, all the while leaving the possibility of a return of the classic attraction. It really seems like the best move for them right now.

If Frozen doesn't 'thaw', then they will be around when TDO is ready to expand MK again, and in that case, a trackless ride would be a perfect fit.

Sorry, but when Kim Possible, Duffy, and the Caballeros invaded, they compromised the integrity of WS by the way you are describing it.

...will clash with a lot of opinions on this board.

"Quick, cheap" additions to the parks was not what Disney used to be about. They are a world-class resort, not a side-show carnival. Does everything have to be an E-ticket? No. But quality and novelty is expected when your prices are as high as Disney's. In addition, World Showcase is no place for characters. That was never the intention of WS, and just because other decisions have been made to include characters, doesn't make it "right" to insert more characters. This is especially true when Frozen has two more suitable locations in WDW to be included.

Hopefully you don't take offense to my assertions, but maybe it will shed some light as to why people responded the way that they did to your opinions.

cw1982

I was repeatedly being told to read once I had already stated that I have done my fair share of reading, and I found that to be rude. I never called anyone rude for taking the opposing side.

But your questions and statements demonstrated that you had not read at all. You made comments about those who disagree with you based on their position without understanding their positions, even though their positions were clearly stated. You also asked questions that had already been answered numerous times by numerous people in the very thread you insist you have read. I'm generally very patient with newcomers, but when you're telling me you have read the thread and then turn around and say things that indicate otherwise, I can't help but recommend that you look over the thread again so we're not repeating the same conversation over and over. To me, if you have really read the thread and are just insisting that we repeat all of this for your entertainment, that notion is just as rude as the inaccurate blanket statements you were making, and yet you call me rude because I point out the lack of logic in your posts.

Sorry, but people around here are not shy about disagreeing with others, and if someone is saying something that doesn't make sense, they tend to get called on it. If it hadn't been me, someone else would have done it.

I'm not going to comment on anything else you say, since you seem to hate my replies so much. But don't be surprised the next time you post something of the same caliber and another member replies similarly to what I have done.

Anyway, back on topic...

Anyone heard any updates on fastpass availability? I'm curious to know what the real closing date will be.

jdmdisney99

The entire NFL is within the original park attraction boundary. So it wasn't an expansion. Unlike say Tomorrowland 74-5. Infact, the park has been expanded numerous times since 1971. NFL wasn't one of these occasions. It has a new pathway to relieve some congestion in Fantasyland but the boundary pushed nothing outwards.
I remember seeing satellite of the utilidor entrance before the NFL construction began, and the FL boundary didn't extend past the utilidor entrance.
Made this a while ago...
Let's compare...
TL '75
View attachment 40654

FL '09
View attachment 40653
Compared to...
View attachment 40652

The FL expansion was really only as big as Space Mountain alone.

(Note: All above images are at same distance)

minsmk

Just out of curiosity, what does being close to the front of the park have to do with anything?

Makes it easier for guests to access/get to. If they put A&E's M&G in town hall (Which they should have anyway.) there would be less people hurting themselves and their children to meet characters. Town hall theme wise isn't a great choice but there are 3 rooms there rather than 2. But they still went for PFH..

RSoxNo1

No, no, I would be against another expansion for a single film released not even a year ago. And DHS is the most ridiculous placement option for a permanent Frozen attraction because IMO Frozen has nothing to do with the Hollywood that never was. (Nor does TSMM, but lets not go there...)
The expansion areas of Fantasyland would be more than enough for Frozen, and 1 or 2 other properties. You know what also be a great spot? Right behind Cinderella's Castle where Princess Fairytale Hall currently sits. Why haven't they put a ride in there before?

RSoxNo1

Agreed. I don't think A&E will be around very long, they have terrible attitudes in the film when you break it down.

I also agree with you about DHS, which makes the placement of a permanent Frozen attraction there seems like seem like the most absurd to me. Throwing in another E ticket ride while disregarding the theme of the theme park is like putting a band aid on a gunshot wound.

I guess that's why minimally invasive Frozen overlay of Maelstrom makes the most sense to me. It is geographically acceptable to see Frozen characters in the Norway pavilion, and maybe in some way, little kids that are fans of Frozen will learn about Norway, which is what WS is all about anyways. Plus, it's going to make Disney MEGA bucks, and that is something I can not hate.
One thing they CANNOT do in Norway is a book report type attraction (stealing a term from Tony Baxter). If the ride uses the characters to tell the story of Norway it wouldn't be perfect, but it would be a more reasonable fit.

Regarding the fit in DHS - I could see the sing along show finding a permanent home at DHS and I think that has some value. My preference however would be a D-ticket Frozen attraction, a C-ticket Rapunzel attraction and a new Princess meet and greet location that's not in such prime real estate.

RSoxNo1

Which is why I agree with the Frozen overlay of Maelstrom. If it ever goes "meh", they can take it out and have a resurgence of nostalgiaphiles in the park. Imagine "The FURY of The Maelstrom is back!" lol.

I couldn't agree more. The fabled Mt. Fuji coaster would be an incredibly exiting addition to WS.
Here's the thing with Maelstrom - it's not a great attraction. Like El Rio Del Tiempo or even (gasp!) the Sea Cabs. They each had/have their own appeal but we're not talking about the likes of Horizons, Imagination or even Alien Encounter. The problem is the replacements represent additional steps away from Epcot's original approach. They represent "easy" solutions that are dumbed down versions of what was there.

I understand that not every attraction can educate and entertain. I'm not going to look for the quote, but there is a Walt Disney quote that emphasizes the entertainment aspect over education. But like many on here, I do think Epcot was a better place before characters found their way into rides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom