Frozen Ever After opening day

Goofyernmost

hows its popularity make it break down all day? oh thats right its the ride system from the 80s.....silly me.
The problem with that theory is that to many of the folks here that was when everything worked perfectly and all was well with the world. Now is when they are making junk according to them. I suppose we should take into consideration how much more technically complex everything is in todays world, but, we won't. That would make it harder to be critical.

Matt_Black

The problem with that theory is that to many of the folks here that was when everything worked perfectly and all was well with the world. Now is when they are making junk according to them. I suppose we should take into consideration how much more technically complex everything is in todays world, but, we won't. That would make it harder to be critical.

Yes. For instance, 30 years ago, it was easy to get a job in, say, automotive repair. Now, however, with all the high tech bits and such, you need a LOT more training.

RSoxNo1

The answer is simple. Because the executives wanted a Frozen attraction up asap, they had no choice but to put the ride into an existing space. This is the knee jerk way TWDC has put a lot of plans into motion in recent years and I wouldn't blame the Imagineers for it.
You're right. It's probably not right to blame Imagineering for this, they did a good job with the crappy hand, but this was such a mistake there's plenty of blame to go around.

Donaldfan1934

You're right. It's probably not right to blame Imagineering for this, they did a good job with the crappy hand, but this was such a mistake there's plenty of blame to go around.
Totally agree. I actually think that the fact that they did such a good job with a crappy hand speaks volumes on Imagineering's expertise.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yes they expected crowds but do you think they expected the estimated 20 million people a year that crowd MK these days? That was my point.

The numbers are higher NOW... But not four times higher. They still built attractions in the sub 600 range when the park was built and they had peak days with higher guest counts than they even do now. They squeeze higher yearly attendance out of the park by having it churn year round... Not so much by stuffing more people in the parks by 50% or more.

the alternative I would've wanted was if Maelstrom got the same kind of update that FEA brought but fitting of the pavilion and that we would've gotten the same ride as TDS and DL in either MK or DHS.

The 'same ride' we know nothing about? :rolleyes:

RobotWolf

I also find it interesting how she is programmed to perform all of Let It Go, even though most times the next boat enters at "Light of Day"... so they can program her to continue, but the boat triggers the reset which happens so smoothly you'd never notice.

The AA programming for that whole sequence is really well done, too. It's a shame that it is only seen during break downs.

But at the same time, it seems like clever foresight. They know there will be break downs. So now the show systems are handling them more gracefully. Elsa is the best example so far; particularly the wave. You never see her break character and do very mechanical looking resets. But another is how the video system feeding the AA faces and eyes have appropriate hold frames during break down.

The AAs themselves have obviously gotten much better over time. But with regard to the animation playback, I can't say I've noticed a significant jump in show system complexity since Splash Mountain.

FEA had a huge price tag. I'm assuming a significant chunk of that was the AA budget. Do we know who the manufacturer was? Garner Holt?

matt9112

It was built to be a solid D ride? it was not the most popular IP Disney has? and as said before fat people make it worse. it deserved its own ride from tbe ground up i firmly believe disney will regret this choice.

StageFrenzy

Maelstrom was not designed to be high capacity. Your other examples were.

The big six:

Spaceship Earth 2400
Energy 1930
Horizons 2660
World of Motion 3240
Journey into Imagination 2240
Listen to the Land 2445

Maelstrom could just about do 1400 with all boats fully loaded. As we know 11 boats pushed the system too much and boats couldn't be fully loaded as time went on due to.... guest size. So its THRC dropped.

I do know that Martin, my point was that even back then they did indeed build low capacity rides. The puzzlement was how did they know that Maelstrom was going to be a less then highly popular ride. They actually built two on that side with Mexico and Norway were everything else in the park was huge.

Can you imagine the outcry today if one park had out of the 11 rides in Epcot there were 5 Omni-rides, counting Seas, 3 boat rides and the 1 oddball (Energy) I'm not sure what to call that. Now if everything isn't a brand new concept then they are just being lazy. Then came Seas with the saddest of all omni's, length wise, Wonders of Life with the simulator... that was pretty crowded when it first opened, but, I suspect that the capacity was fairly good. They had three or four simulators in that didn't they? And, of course the shows with pretty massive seating and, in the case of Canada, standing areas. France being the smallest, but still a pretty good size. Let's not forget Cranium Command and Kitchen Kabaret/Food Rocks both in small rooms. Especially CC. I often wonder how they made those decisions back then.

Omnimovers while not the most thrilling ride system was a very effective way of moving people through an attraction. I never remember thinking oh no another omnimover at Epcot. Each of the ride vehicles were different enough in design to not lump them together. Horizons you were sitting sideways, figment split off and had the turn table, WoM had the outside bit. UoE was a moving theater. The ride system is just a means to an end and should never be the focus of an attraction.

With Classic Epcot you had the Pavilion concept where the experience started at the entrance to every ride. Every Pavilion was its own plate with entrée and side, possibly also a dessert. Let's talk about WoL. Enter the dome and as you look down everything is bright and airy with lots of activity with kids running around the exercise areas and small little theaters in the center. There is the big mural with the body wars sign and the line is packed with people. Cranium Command looks to be a little less popular, but there are a lot of excited kids in line. Sure Cranium Command got busy but it had the big draw of body wars right next store. On either side of WoL was horizons and UoE both of which occupied at least an hour of a guest's time.

As far as the Seacabs they were never the star of the show, it was always the Hydrolators and the sea base alpha. During the theater portion of the seas I can still see the green outline of Seabase alpha being drawn transforming into the hydrolator area and being invited into SEABASE ALPHA!! It was stepping into the movie and the future, The sea cabs were just another way of pacing people into the aquarium area to manage crowds while giving an overview of the aquarium.

Mike S

The 'same ride' we know nothing about? :rolleyes:
The 'same ride' that all insiders who have talked about it said is on a much larger scale than what we got in Epcot. Since it was talked about on here from before the time of Tokyo's announcement I tend to believe it is still accurate. The ride we got is nice but knowing that Disney is making a better one elsewhere that includes Disneyland and not just another one of those amazing rides that will forever remain overseas you can see where these feelings come from.

Goofyernmost

It was built to be a solid D ride? it was not the most popular IP Disney has? and as said before fat people make it worse. it deserved its own ride from tbe ground up i firmly believe disney will regret this choice.
The thing is that by the time the Maelstrom was built categorized attractions no longer exited in a public sense. I made my very first visit to WDW 4 months after Epcot opened. There was no mention of "tickets" or "catagorys". It wasn't until years later when I started to go to Disney Discussion Sites that I even ever heard of it. It might have been built to be a solid "D" but the public didn't know that, so what kept them away?

Please don't fire up the fat people vs. "thin people are perfect" discussion again. People are heavier yes, but, they are not the reason why there is a problem now. They also didn't get heavier overnight. They were heavy two years ago when it was still Maelstrom. I don't recall many complaints about shut downs. Even if they did make a difference, if Disney didn't take advantage of the tear down to retool the ride to account for the change in weight, then lets not blame reality on something that Disney neglected if they didn't attempt to address it. Even if it were just training on placement in the boats.

Ginzuishou

Maelstrom at least seemed like an adventure. Frozen Ever After has no adventure to it. Yes, it has a story.............but it's not very interesting.

I haven't ridden it yet but have seen the video.

Look at past rides. Mine Train, Little Mermaid..........Have we been blown away? NO.

We have come to just expect something "acceptable" from Disney, but not mind blowing.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The 'same ride' that all insiders who have talked about it said is on a much larger scale than what we got in Epcot. Since it was talked about on here from before the time of Tokyo's announcement I tend to believe it is still accurate. The ride we got is nice but knowing that Disney is making a better one elsewhere that includes Disneyland and not just another one of those amazing rides that will forever remain overseas you can see where these feelings come from.
Another thing to consider is that the Asian parks seem to operate by the old (and much higher) Disney standard of creating and building new attractions that re absolutely amazing. WDW uses the "good enough" standard. Just take a look at Shanghai, everything is pretty amazing. Or if Tokyo DL, Disney Sea, or even Hong Kong announce a new ride, you can bet its going to be done the right away and on a large scale. Now lets look at WDW. Everything they build, (or shoehorn), we have to adopt a "lets wait and see" mindstate.

Goofyernmost

Omnimovers while not the most thrilling ride system was a very effective way of moving people through an attraction. I never remember thinking oh no another omnimover at Epcot. Each of the ride vehicles were different enough in design to not lump them together. Horizons you were sitting sideways, figment split off and had the turn table, WoM had the outside bit. UoE was a moving theater. The ride system is just a means to an end and should never be the focus of an attraction.
I personally never felt that there was anything wrong with omni-movers and I still don't. In fact, I wish all four parks were loaded with them. What my comment was about is that "todays expert" is expecting that Disney should create a whole new system of transport for every new attraction. They don't want to see a duplication of any past system otherwise it earns their disapproval. It wasn't the ride system in Epcot that was the problem it was that in many ways each attraction overlapped in story. Yes, it was FutureWorld and the only thing that addressed the future was Horizons. Everything else was a timeline from beginning to a few steps into the future and not much more. It was never the ride system that got old it was the story line. Let's face it even imagination, after the initial turn table show, was a snore fest. Creative yes, but, a lot less then interesting. All it had, in my opinion was that "one little spark of inspiration" in the imagining and creation of the opening scene with Dreamfinder and Figment. Without the song the ride would have been over right after that.

Goofyernmost

You don't think they could have built a whole new ride in the amount of time this took?
On average it takes at least 3 years to build from scratch. Some were quicker depending on whether or not the attractions was built around an existing, off the shelf base ride. So many people like to quote that "well they built all of Epcot in three years, so there is no excuse". That's ok if you take into account that all of Epcot was built simultaneously. In other words it took three years to build each individual attraction. Since it was all done at the same time, people don't realize that to have done, let's say, 10 attractions separately, one at a time, it would have taken 30 years to build it.

It is ridicules for people to demand high quality, massive detail, perfectly engineered and popular attractions with advanced AA's along with newly created ride systems to be done overnight. I guess that is why Disney is so popular with people that live in a world of fantasy.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
On average it takes at least 3 years to build from scratch. Some were quicker depending on whether or not the attractions was built around an existing, off the shelf base ride. So many people like to quote that "well they built all of Epcot in three years, so there is no excuse". That's ok if you take into account that all of Epcot was built simultaneously. In other words it took three years to build each individual attraction. Since it was all done at the same time, people don't realize that to have done, let's say, 10 attractions separately, one at a time, it would have taken 30 years to build it.

It is ridicules for people to demand high quality, massive detail, perfectly engineered and popular attractions with advanced AA's along with newly created ride systems to be done overnight. I guess that is why Disney is so popular with people that live in a world of fantasy.
I still think its a bit odd that with even with two years to refurb Maelstrom, FEA has more breakdowns per hour now than MAlestrom did. And people can blame it on the AA's all they want. That doesnt exactly excuse it considering that they did not have to build the ride from scratch which means a majority of the two years was most likely for interior construction and AA related projects. TWO YEARS and they have a myriad of issues. I can understand the jitters that come with a new attractio so if they fix them in the next month, thats great. IF a month from now they are still having major issues, then that will tell us alot about how shoddy the preperation was for this.

Bocabear

no one expected the project to be done overnight...a full two years later, I think we do expect the ride to be operational... I know things happen and there is a lot to it, but it is not ridiculous to expect high quality attractions from Disney...that was their hallmark...and if it too 3 years to build it, and it was a higher capacity ride built in the right place (Fantasyland) I am sure the complaints would be a lot less.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom