Frozen Ever After opening day

G00fyDad

What I would love (love, love, love) to see is an upgrade in the WS because of this. Mexico and Norway are the only countries with rides. I don't think it will happen anytime soon, but I would love to see the boat ride in Germany actually become a reality, as well as something in Japan. Something new would give Frozen/Norway a bit of a breather; maybe the waiting time would go down a bit. I can see this having longer wait times than Soarin' for the next couple of years. I know people are saying that Frozen's a has-been, but it's clearly still very popular.

It's clearly still popular because of day one lines? Wait a few weeks and we will see if the popularity is still up. It may be but don't base that on these lines on day one.

Bocabear

Well a Mulan ride could work in China...since Mulan actually takes place in China...not a mythical country... Also it would be hard to place a Mulan ride in the Magic Kingdom...no land feels thematically correct for it...World Showcase would work...Likewise Ratatouille, not so sure about any other character though as most are not based in a specific time and place...

DisneyOutsider

The thing is though, as great as the animatronics are on opening day, this is Disney, not exactly known for keeping things in good working order over the long term.

Over at Animal Kingdom, there's a lonely yeti watching all this and saying 'yeah you say the AAs are great now, but give it a few months...'

There's a darn good reason that the industry trend has moved further and further away from AAs: They are difficult/expensive to maintain in both the short and the long run. I believe KUDOS are in order to Disney for not abandoning them, but continuing to push forward with new AA technology while continuing to maintain their massive fleet of still functioning AAs across the resorts.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

Mixed feelings. Still a failure that this isn't in Fantasyland of course, it's placement at EPCOT will always be a big glaring problem. The new scenes at the beginning (around the new S-bend) are quite good. Animatronics are also great in general (as one would hope). The ending scenes after the drop are also good as well. The scenes at the top level however are actually disappointing and feel very empty and too screen-heavy. In these scenes I feel like it's actually a step down from Maelstrom in detail. Didn't like the Marshmallow either, who seems very awkwardly crammed into his little area. Even with the small S-bend added, the ride still feels too short and ends abruptly.

Not a bad ride when judged in a vacuum (ignoring that it's in a highly inappropriate place), but still not a great one either when judged in that same vacuum. Decent to good, better i'd say than Mermaid at least (which isn't a difficult standard to achieve). If it had been built in Fantasyland, it would have been a pretty nice and cute little addition, though I would still stand by my opinions (both the good parts and the flaws) even there. Still feel like Frozen deserves better, will be interesting to watch what happens with Tokyo's variant of the ride.

As stated, the imagineer who worked on this was apparently Tony Baxter's apprentice. And you can tell they did the best they could within the limitations imposed by execs. They clearly have a lot of talent and I hope they get some better projects in the future.

Last edited:

ProjectXBlog

this entire ride is technically impressive but seriously lacking in the storytelling department. it looks like they did the bare minimum as far as set-pieces go, and the environments around the AAs give off that "spaceship earth finale" vibe of nothingness. it almost reminds me of six flags' "monster mansion" or something like that. the AAs themselves look good in motion, but the face tech needs more work. the way that the face projections stretch over the heads makes everyone look off. overall a disappointing, cheap, fast overlay that doesn't do either the original pavilion or the movie much justice

G00fyDad

Well a Mulan ride could work in China...since Mulan actually takes place in China...not a mythical country... Likewise Ratatouille, not so sure about any other character though as most are not based in a specific time and place...

They actually are, but based on that rationale neither is Frozen.

CrescentLake

Maelstrom was a short ride to begin with. The fact that they were able to add some time to it to add in some scenes is a good thing. It looks like an upgrade, and the technology is great. My only complaint is the EPCOT tier system will make it impossible to do the park in one day without missing one of: Soarin, Test Track, Frozen.

Disagree. FP+ for Soarin and Frozen, head to TT at open or ride single rider.

CastleBound

Maybe this opens up other pavilions for IP's? China - Mulan, Morocco - Alladin (?), UK - The Rescuers, Germany - Snow White, France - Ratatouille, Italy - Pinocchio, Canada - Brother Bear.

Stop it! Put down the pitchforks! o_O
Honestly, I think this is the only way to make it feel "right..ish". Adding more IP around the pavilions would make it fit in better for sure. If they were to do this, they'd have to revamp Future World to make it more like the world of EPCOT we've always imagined. I think if they did that, it would settle us all a bit.

All that aside, this ride looks really great. I'm actually shocked they made this space look so good. Aside from a few small features, the attraction is unrecognizable from it's past. Those AA's. I actually really don't mind the screens in the backwards section, as I think it would have been tough to pull off that "Frozen" effect any other way. Also...Snowgies.

jensenrick

Maelstrom was a short ride to begin with. The fact that they were able to add some time to it to add in some scenes is a good thing. It looks like an upgrade, and the technology is great. My only complaint is the EPCOT tier system will make it impossible to do the park in one day without missing one of: Soarin, Test Track, Frozen.

That's an easy pick for me, don't need to ride TT again.

DisneyOutsider

Also a good time to remind everyone that a ride should be expected to have more-than-typical downtime/issues when it first opens. The same was the case with 7DMT.

Instead of our reaction being 'Uh Oh it's 101 already?? Doesn't bode well for the future', we should be more or less expecting unexpected downtimes frequently in the coming weeks, becoming less and less frequent as time goes on.

Bocabear

Does it have to tell a story? I don't miss a storyline.. Just an enchanting romp with the characters from the film... doesn't need to retell the movie, and actually glad it doesn't... That was the mistake of Mermaid... Not enough time to tell a complete story, so it feels unfinished... It could have likewise been just a delightful journey under the sea with Ariel and friends... but the storyline mires it...
Pirates doesn't tell a story, neither does Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, Small World... a complete story in unnecessary...

Bocabear

Best AA was yeti without a doubt. Until it died years ago. Let's hope they keep up with these.
Ride looks meh.I just don't like everything going to screens anymore. Screens everywhere.
I think the screens are integrated nicely...and the backwards portion of the ride before didn't really have much going on except the polar bear and a few birds... Overall though I will say it is a vast improvement to the old ride...and feels new and fresh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom