Frozen complainers are finally making headlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magenta Panther

So, her having her own romantic interests would improve her story how? I'm just curious how you'd see that playing out? (genuine question)

Not really. In the only movie she's ever appeared in she's not much more than a plot convenience, throws a temper tantrum and storms off (like a teenager), lashing out (granted through her powers) to the entire world (like a teenager), is consistantly, with rare exceptions, weak and taken advantage of by other characters, and it's only through her own sisters bravery / heroism / self-sacrifice that the story has any depth at all. Hard to say they set her up with a very "intelligent" or deep character to begin with...so, I'm not sure why you'd be surprised for them to do that?

I still say Disney ought to give Anna powers - that could be the point of the sequel. Anna's a late bloomer, y'see, and suddenly displays the power to control fire (hey, her sister's a blonde, and has ice powers, right? So Anna's a redhead, and has fire powers. Synergy!) Then maybe Anna dolls would sell better. Iger would love that. Ka-ching!

Cesar R M

I still say Disney ought to give Anna powers - that could be the point of the sequel. Anna's a late bloomer, y'see, and suddenly displays the power to control fire (hey, her sister's a blonde, and has ice powers, right? So Anna's a redhead, and has fire powers. Synergy!) Then maybe Anna dolls would sell better. Iger would love that. Ka-ching!
m23e97L.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Not a bad idea, Sort of riff's off The Incredibles where Jack-Jack is thought NOT to have powers except that he can float through walls and change shape/mass as Syndrome found to his dismay.

Siren

Original Poster
Actually, I LOVE the premise. We didn't get to see much of Elsa and what she does not being queen or hiding her powers. It would be fun to see her try to interract with people she's get at arms' length or further for over a decade.
I understand your point and I hope you're right about it.

Here some other top selling albums that might debunk your cultural phenomenon premise:

1982: Asia: Asia
1993: Whitney Houston: The Bodyguard Soundtrack
2004: Usher: Confessions
2011 and 12: Adele: 21

Popular doesn't necessarily mean cultural phenomenon. Many of the best selling albums of the year do fall into that and even have much more significances: Thriller, The Lion King Soundtrack. Some are just a reflection of the time and were insanely popular and culturally relevant but I would stop short of calling it a phenomenon: NSYNC, Billy Ray Cyrus...

Frozen might be a cultural phenomenon, or it might just be insanely popular.
But, Frozen is so much more than just a soundtrack. I'm really surprised that you would present an argument from such a weak angle -- especially, after beating another poster over significance of Frozen in another thread a while back. Did you forget about that? You were the winner!

Anyway, Frozen is basically everywhere and no one can escape it. Princess Kate went to visit a group of children in New York recently and they were expecting one of the Frozen Princesses. And, they went on to discuss Frozen with the real princess, lol.

Kids Expect Princess Elsa, must settle for Princess Kate - http://www.newsy.com/videos/kids-expect-princess-elsa-must-settle-for-princess-kate/

Frozen Baby Names on the Rise in Popularity - http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/frozen-baby-names-rise-popularity/story?id=24160391

Elsa dethrones Barbie - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...arbie-most-popular-holiday-toy_n_6225430.html

Frozen is basically everywhere and no one can explain why. People just like it.

So, her having her own romantic interests would improve her story how? I'm just curious how you'd see that playing out? (genuine question)
I don't believe Elsa "needs" a romantic interest to improve her story. But, Elsa certainly does not need to be the third wheel, tagging along behind Anna and Kristoff, that's so annoying to me.

With that said, I would like for Elsa to meet a nice guy. Perhaps, the best guys from each Kingdom can try to woo her and she falls for someone unlikely -- but that story line is so cliche, as has been done with Anna and Princess Jasmine in Aladdin. Brave was somewhat similar too, except Merida gets out of the arrangement and remains single -- also, cliche.

Not really. In the only movie she's ever appeared in she's not much more than a plot convenience, throws a temper tantrum and storms off (like a teenager), lashing out (granted through her powers) to the entire world (like a teenager), is consistantly, with rare exceptions, weak and taken advantage of by other characters, and it's only through her own sisters bravery / heroism / self-sacrifice that the story has any depth at all. Hard to say they set her up with a very "intelligent" or deep character to begin with...so, I'm not sure why you'd be surprised for them to do that?
I totally disagree with this. Elsa's sister was very annoying and ruined Elsa's coronation ball. That was pure selfishness, Anna turned on her sister over a silly guy that wanted to kill her anyway. Plus, Anna wanted to move all of Hans brothers in the castle that night. When Elsa gracefully told her no -- Anna became loud, aggressive and physical. She also refused to give Elsa her glove -- everything else was a snowball effect that stemmed from that incident. I felt sorry for Elsa -- everyone I know felt bad for her.

Anna is predictable, quite lovable and down to earth, she's the quintessential girl next door that everyone is supposed to love. Elsa's character is far more rich and complex, which is why I was surprised that she is a million times more popular than Anna. Queen Elsa doesn't need to be in this short at all -- she's just a third wheel and won't add anything to the story -- one of the servants can plan the party and no one would notice the difference.

And MOST refreshingly, in this movie Cinderella is still the "good guy" and the Stepmother isn't some poor misunderstood anti-villain. What a freaking relief. :D

It's also interesting that the stepsisters aren't ugly. They're cute. And I like the Fairy Godmother already. I'll def be seeing this one.
Great post! I totally agree with you -- everyone is so beautiful in this movie. And, even though I can't stand the wicked stepmother and stepsisters -- I'm glad they don't have over exaggerated features to make them look artificially hideous and they're also quite stylish. I can't wait to see it!

LOL!!!

Kman101

I definitely find Anna to be the more annoying one overall, though I don't disagree about Elsa either. I'd rather they focus on Olaf at this point LOL

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I definitely find Anna to be the more annoying one overall, though I don't disagree about Elsa either. I'd rather they focus on Olaf at this point LOL

Bite thy tongue, I know I'm in the minority here but I found Olaf to be on the order of Jar-Jar Binks. Second most annoying character in the Disney extended universe (Jar-Jar still holds the title).

Please Disney give the comedic sidekick a REST.

Siren

Original Poster
Frozen might be a cultural phenomenon, or it might just be insanely popular.
As each day goes by, it's looking more and more like a cultural phenomenon.

I've got a few more....

Frozen is being used to teach children how to write code in schools and online all across the world. The POTUS help to launch the www.Code.org effort just a few days ago -- "in the UK, kids are taught coding from age 5." Wow! http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30393234

The POTUS wrote a line of code that enabled Elsa to move 100 pixels. http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2...id-obama-write-to-kick-off-hour-of-code-2014/

Code with Anna & Elsa. Check it out, it's so cute!!!
http://studio.code.org/s/frozen/stage/1/puzzle/1

The POTUS unveils $1 billion in public and private funding for US preschool programs and makes a funny joke about Frozen mania, specifically Elsa at the end. LOL.

And, finally this gem - "Frozen in Dagenham: Christmas lights display paying homage to Disney film is switched on across five terraced homes in Essex" http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-film-switched-five-terraced-homes-Essex.html

The guy that did this used 15,000 lights and he admits to never seeing Frozen, lol.
23F1396D00000578-2868380-image-a-7_1418219800853.jpg

23F0311400000578-2868380-image-a-2_1418213422589.jpg

There just aren't enough hours in the day (more like a year) for me to write about everything Frozen. All of these events transpired, just in the past few days and I am worn reading about Frozen. So....

euewlk.jpg

LOL. I totally agree! I'd rather Disney lock Elsa in the vault until they can figure out a suitable story line for a young, beautiful, stylish and powerful queen. Until then, just focus on Olaf and rest of the characters.

Bite thy tongue, I know I'm in the minority here but I found Olaf to be on the order of Jar-Jar Binks. Second most annoying character in the Disney extended universe (Jar-Jar still holds the title).

Please Disney give the comedic sidekick a REST.
Awww, I love Olaf. He is so cute and adorable. And, he is nothing like Jar Jar Binks! Ugh... that's so mean.

Last edited:

momof3girls

We saw Frozen in December 2013. My girls thought it was meh. They haven't spoken about it and we haven't watched it since. It's not a big deal here.

Phil12

The popularity of Frozen is absolutely ubiquitous. Wal-mart and other stores have a whole line of Frozen products including Frozen Dinners & Meals, Frozen Seafood, Frozen Vegetables, Frozen Pizza, Frozen Sandwiches, Frozen Pasta & Noodles, Frozen Juice, Frozen Soups, Frozen Breakfast Food, Frozen Fruit, Frozen Rolls & Wraps, Frozen Appetizers, Frozen Deserts & Bakery and Frozen Ice Cream & Novelties. I know it's hard to believe so I included a link to prove it:
http://www.walmart.com/cp/Frozen-Foods/976791

Brian

The popularity of Frozen is absolutely ubiquitous. Wal-mart and other stores have a whole line of Frozen products including Frozen Dinners & Meals, Frozen Seafood, Frozen Vegetables, Frozen Pizza, Frozen Sandwiches, Frozen Pasta & Noodles, Frozen Juice, Frozen Soups, Frozen Breakfast Food, Frozen Fruit, Frozen Rolls & Wraps, Frozen Appetizers, Frozen Deserts & Bakery and Frozen Ice Cream & Novelties. I know it's hard to believe so I included a link to prove it:

You got me!

Doh.jpg

Cesar R M

DIXt42l.gif

wedway71

This is just my opinion..I am sick of Frozen. Don't hate people who like it and not upset with Disney for pushing it. It does suck for a Disney fan who likes to frequent Disney parks, sites, etc who would like to see/enjoy the many other treasures that Disney offers. It is hard to do that without a Frozen infusion. Since the inception of the WDW Xmas parade, I have always watched it.... this year I did not... since I could live without yet another marketing vehicle devoted to Frozen.

AEfx

Gotta love paywall-loving Orlando Sentinel.

To answer the question of the park goer (I assume they actually went to the parks and asked folks? Or did they simply do the "social media" journalism they so often rely on?) as to why Brave wasn't represented like this: Brave cost 185M to make and ended up grossing just over 500M. Frozen cost 150M to make and has made almost 1.25 BILLION dollars...so far.

While I'm the first to say that grosses are not an indicator of overall quality (Avaturd), it does indicate demand. A year ago, folks here were chiding Disney for not exploiting Frozen enough, using it as an example of how "out of touch" they were for not realizing what a massive hit it would be.

I'm sure some folks are sick of Frozen, but we know that it brought up attendance at the studios, and even though Disney is churning out the toys now in quantity, they were the hottest thing this year for Christmas. I visit my local Toys R Us at least once or twice a week, and that section was stripped as soon as they could stock it. A Frozen toy (something to do with Olaf? I never saw it) was one of like 3 toys this season to be so demanded, TRU was sending out email blasts in the middle of the night guaranteeing that the first 20 folks in line would get one (it's a great strategy they are using now to at least try to thwart scalpers).

All that said - yes, a lot of what Disney did for Frozen at the last minute in the parks like they did was cheap, yes, it's cheap of them to re-do a ride instead of building a big impressive one by scratch, etc. - but there is no more "Frozen" backlash in the general public than any other thing that kids make their parents watch over and over to annoyance.

The issues Frozen has in the parks (if you can call them that, since even the garbage stuff is insanely popular), are simply indicative of the overall issue of the parks - not anything to do with Frozen itself. It's simply becoming this symbol within the community (especially post-Maelstrom) due to circumstance, when it's just the latest recipient of the garbage way Disney is treating the Orlando parks.

(And before anyone assumes I'm a "Frozen" fan gone wild, I've seen it once - finally a few months ago - I thought it was very good, but that was all. I have no special affinity for it whatsoever.)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This is just my opinion..I am sick of Frozen. Don't hate people who like it and not upset with Disney for pushing it. It does suck for a Disney fan who likes to frequent Disney parks, sites, etc who would like to see/enjoy the many other treasures that Disney offers. It is hard to do that without a Frozen infusion. Since the inception of the WDW Xmas parade, I have always watched it.... this year I did not... since I could live without yet another marketing vehicle devoted to Frozen.

Re Parade, This year you did not miss any parade by not watching This year it was Aulani, Radio Disney and ESPN Promotions, Santa and the parades were seen for about 90 seconds. And the whole thing was outsourced to D--k Clark Productions. There was some gloss of Frozen but this years promo was 'anything but the parks'

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Maybe if they were to focus on one or two HIGH BUDGET/QUALITY Frozen offerings (without the offensively long build times Disney enjoys) instead of just throwing the characters wherever it won't break the bank.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom