Frozen complainers are finally making headlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike S

Exactly. Granted, I'm sure there are some kids and possibly teenagers who are bored to tears but to me I've never believed the argument/excuse used that it's boring.

I people watch, I talk to people (and friends, and friends of friends), etc. I go solo enough to the parks, read enough trip reports, etc. to just not buy the argument it's boring.

And again, kids aren't exactly clamoring for Gran Fiesta. The Nemo craze died down ... yet guess what kids love? Spaceship Earth. Universe of Energy.

It's like folks going into Animal Kingdom with the mindset that it's "just a zoo" and they overlook the fact that it's incredibly well-themed, kids LOVE animals, the cast members are actually very engaging and knowledgable (much like World Showcase cast members). Parents who don't do their own research and don't have the history with the parks go with what other people tell them. If their friends tell them "Epcot will be boring for kids or Animal Kingdom is just a zoo" don't tell me that doesn't play a factor.
Those Imagineers who originally designed Epcot really knew what they were doing. I wonder if Horizons would've been more popular than Mission: SPACE is if it still existed and got the refurb it needed. Also, you know, Imagination. That one can still be saved though if Disney would just approve the redo already. I remember how long I had to wait for Nemo when it first opened. It was TORTURE. Now look at it, nearly always a walk on (when I'm there anyway).

Kman101

Those Imagineers who originally designed Epcot really knew what they were doing. I wonder if Horizons would've been more popular than Mission: SPACE is if it still existed and got the refurb it needed. Also, you know, Imagination. That one can still be saved though if Disney would just approve the redo already. I remember how long I had to wait for Nemo when it first opened. It was TORTURE. Now look at it, nearly always a walk on (when I'm there anyway).

Exactly.

I think Horizons and Imagination should have been considered untouchable. They along with Spaceship Earth and Universe of Energy should be what the Disneyland dark rides are to them. "Grandfathered in".

I'm fine with Test Track (I like the style of the makeover but prefer the other version and don't really care about making a car, it actually makes me LESS interested in going through the queue). I think they could have kept World of Motion to a degree, maybe as part of the queue to show the evolution of transportation, and Soarin' should have been built in a separate building with the queue showing the evolution of flight.

I actually have little issue with Nemo in the Seas, actually, but they should have done an original ride (Mr. Ray taking the "kids" on a journey through the sea and teaching them about it) instead of just an abridged version of the movie.

I'm torn on Mission: Space. They could have done better, but maybe something like that should have been put into Tomorrowland.

THAT would be an *amazing* EPCOT

Anywho, enough armchair imagineering, lol ... back to ... sigh ... Frozen

Mike S

Exactly.

I think Horizons and Imagination should have been considered untouchable. They along with Spaceship Earth and Universe of Energy should be what the Disneyland dark rides are to them. "Grandfathered in".

I'm fine with Test Track (I like the style of the makeover but prefer the other version and don't really care about making a car, it actually makes me LESS interested in going through the queue). I think they could have kept World of Motion to a degree, maybe as part of the queue to show the evolution of transportation, and Soarin' should have been built in a separate building with the queue showing the evolution of flight.

I actually have little issue with Nemo in the Seas, actually, but they should have done an original ride (Mr. Ray taking the "kids" on a journey through the sea and teaching them about it) instead of just an abridged version of the movie.

I'm torn on Mission: Space. They could have done better, but maybe something like that should have been put into Tomorrowland.

I have actually had an idea for Test Track for a while based on its siblings JttCotE and RSR. Both of those rides are basically dark rides on the interior with the thrilling outside portion correct? Now apply that to Test Track by essentially bringing back World of Motion (a new version) for the inside of the building and still keeping the thrilling outside portion. The name of the ride would also change back to World of Motion. But yes this is getting into imagineering a little too much so maybe further ideas should be brought over there.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It's funny when people say that Frozen makes no sense at Epcot. To me, it makes perfect sense for Epcot because when people plan their vacations, the people with small kids can easily not go to Epcot because they feel it doesn't have enough to do for their kids. Building a Frozen ride there basically guarantees that they are going to go to Epcot when otherwise they may not have.

They may feel Epcot doesnt have enough for their kids but the reality is that Epcot lays excellent groundwork for children to be educated and entertained simultaneously but it does require the proper encouragement on the parents behalf. If a parent assumes there is nothing at Epcot for their kids due to lack of characters or rides, then they are denying their children a wonderful experience.

Even if a parent is just looking for the park to keep the kiddies entertained, Epcot in many ways does a better job than MK. Kidcot can eat up a majority of the day and doesnt cost a dime. Agent P's Adventure is fun for everyone and even allows enough stops for mom and dad to relax, snack, drink, etc.

As much as some people think Epcot needs major help, it really doesnt. Whether your young or old, it is well rounded and offers a wonderful chance to enjoy time with your family. If Disney wants to throw Frozen in the mix to satiate the people demanding a Frozen ride, fine, but it chips away at the very soul of the park while also denying Frozen fans a proper attraction...unless they go to Japan.

(please note my post is not in reference towards you, just the general opinion that Epcot needs help)
Edited for spelling

Last edited:

doctornick

As much as some people think Epcot needs major help, it really doesnt. Whether your young or old, it is well rounded and offers a wonderful chance to enjoy time with your family.

I think this is very true. People like to slam the park -- and I understand the issues with increasingly disjointed theme and moving away from the "mission statement" -- but the reality is that there is a ton of stuff to do in the park, for people of all ages and interests. That's why I don't understand why people feel that Epcot should be a priority for investment over DAK and DHS, which both desperately need expansion/updating far more.

Mike S

I think this is very true. People like to slam the park -- and I understand the issues with increasingly disjointed theme and moving away from the "mission statement" -- but the reality is that there is a ton of stuff to do in the park, for people of all ages and interests. That's why I don't understand why people feel that Epcot should be a priority for investment over DAK and DHS, which both desperately need expansion/updating far more.
Epcot definitely does not need more help than DHS and DAK but things can still be done in steps to improve the place while the big work goes on at the other parks. While all this work is going on at DHS and DAK surely they can finally refresh Imagination too right? At least Soarin' will receive an upgrade at some point after it debuts in Shanghai. Also, *sigh* Frozen. But that's not really an improvement imo. DHS and DAK do need the most help but Epcot still needs some too.

Phil12

While they're waiting for production to ramp up on the three new Frozen feature films, I'm sure they'll create several direct to video releases featuring Olaf. Cross promotion stuff for the cruise line would be my guess with such titles as "Olaf's Caribbean Adventure", "Olaf Meets Captain Jack" and "Olaf Does Jamaica".

misterID

Exactly.

I would love to see what they could have done with a Horizons refurb and those IMAX screens.

Really, they're short changing frozen with squeezing it into Norway. You have that horrible polluted stank fest (take a guess what I'm talking about) in MK that's just begging to be utilized and Frozen, imo, is a great IP to use there.

lazyboy97o

Fixing the EPCOT Center means fixing so much more than just an amusement park.

prberk

Exactly.

I was thinking the other day: You know EPCOT Center opened October 1, 1982 -- a mere 11 years after Walt Disney World itself opened, with only the Magic Kingdom, three hotels, and a campground.

They researched, planned, designed, and built the park (including infrastructure and the longest monorail line they have ever built), all in shorter time than than it seems anything would get done today.

They took huge risks back then, but they also believed in what they were doing, even with some huge discussions and differences in opinion about how to do it. (Remember that it also evolved in that time from Walt's original "city" plan, with residents.)

It just reminds me how cumbersome the bureaucracy has become today. And just exactly how much vision and perseverance they had back then.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It just reminds me how cumbersome the bureaucracy has become today. And just exactly how much vision and perseverance they had back then.
And the lack of cohones anybody in the company has today. Seriously, when will Disney build something so grand and awe inspiring again that it defies belief in what a theme park is capable of? Look at their latest creation. 7DMT is not bad, but its nothing amazing especially considering how long it took to build. They seem ok with just playing it safe and not taking any major leaps forward to rewrite the playbook.

Siren

Original Poster
At this point, no one can argue that Frozen is a cultural phenomenon. It's been over a year since the movie debuted and the Frozen soundtrack is the top selling album of 2014. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...-billboard-top-album-2014-20141209-story.html

"Frozen" is better than Beyonce, Taylor Swift and One Direction, according to the year-end Billboard charts. The soundtrack for the Disney animated blockbuster movie has landed in the No. 1 spot of the Hot 200 Albums chart for 2014.

On March 13th, 2015 - Disney's Cinderella will feature an animated short titled Disney's "Frozen Fever" that will feature Anna, Elsa, Kristoff & Olaf.

frozen_fever_logo.jpg

"Directed by Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee, and produced by Peter Del Vecho and Aimee Scribner, with an all-new original song by Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez, “Frozen Fever” marks the first project reuniting the Oscar-winning original team from Disney’s Frozen.

In Frozen Fever, it’s Anna’s birthday and Elsa and Kristoff are determined to give her the best celebration ever, but Elsa’s icy powers may put more than just the party at risk."

I don't know, but I kind of have mixed feelings about this. Obviously, the Frozen short is going to attract huge crowds who would not otherwise be drawn to go and see the Cinderella feature. And, people loved all of the Toy Story shorts.

I just wish Queen Elsa was not in the film -- Disney should just leave this down to earth, relatable to everyone thing to Anna and the supporting cast.

I know I am reading into this too much, but the idea of Elsa planning a birthday party makes me cringe, she is the freaking queen with a royal court. She's not supposed to be in yoga pants blowing up balloons and hanging up birthday banners. Kristoff and Olaf can handle this.

And, then this "Elsa's icy powers may put more than just the party at risk" thing -- not again. Disney is making Elsa sound goofy and clumsy when Elsa should have this well under control by now.

Not to mention, it appears that Elsa will continue to be the boring third wheel to Anna and Kristoff's love life again. Where on earth are Elsa's boyfriends? Disney just seems to be intent on dumbing Elsa's image right down. I so hope I am wrong about this.

Anyway, it would be criminal if I didn't take a moment to gush about the gorgeous costumes from Cinderella!!!

Cinderella-Ella-and-Prince_poster.jpg

Cinderella-The-Wicked-Stepmother_poster.jpg

Cinderella-Fairy-Godmother_poster.jpg

Disney commissioned Oscar award winning costume designer Sandy Powell to design the costumes for Cinderella. The pieces presented here reflect an integrated myriad of distinctive layers and textures bursting with a vibrant infusion of color. :happy: It is my hope, that none of this will be overlooked or upstaged by "Frozen Fever." I understand that Disney just wants the film to be very successful and the Frozen short could possibly double or even triple the box office figures.

Matt_Black

Actually, I LOVE the premise. We didn't get to see much of Elsa and what she does not being queen or hiding her powers. It would be fun to see her try to interract with people she's get at arms' length or further for over a decade.

jakeman

At this point, no one can argue that Frozen is a cultural phenomenon. It's been over a year since the movie debuted and the Frozen soundtrack is the top selling album of 2014. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...-billboard-top-album-2014-20141209-story.html
Here some other top selling albums that might debunk your cultural phenomenon premise:

1982: Asia: Asia
1993: Whitney Houston: The Bodyguard Soundtrack
2004: Usher: Confessions
2011 and 12: Adele: 21

Popular doesn't necessarily mean cultural phenomenon. Many of the best selling albums of the year do fall into that and even have much more significances: Thriller, The Lion King Soundtrack. Some are just a reflection of the time and were insanely popular and culturally relevant but I would stop short of calling it a phenomenon: NSYNC, Billy Ray Cyrus...

Frozen might be a cultural phenomenon, or it might just be insanely popular.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Where on earth are Elsa's boyfriends?

So, her having her own romantic interests would improve her story how? I'm just curious how you'd see that playing out? (genuine question)

Disney just seems to be intent on dumbing Elsa's image right down.

Not really. In the only movie she's ever appeared in she's not much more than a plot convenience, throws a temper tantrum and storms off (like a teenager), lashing out (granted through her powers) to the entire world (like a teenager), is consistantly, with rare exceptions, weak and taken advantage of by other characters, and it's only through her own sisters bravery / heroism / self-sacrifice that the story has any depth at all. Hard to say they set her up with a very "intelligent" or deep character to begin with...so, I'm not sure why you'd be surprised for them to do that?

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

"Frozen" is better than Beyonce, Taylor Swift and One Direction, according to the year-end Billboard charts. The soundtrack for the Disney animated blockbuster movie has landed in the No. 1 spot of the Hot 200 Albums chart for 2014.

On March 13th, 2015 - Disney's Cinderella will feature an animated short titled Disney's "Frozen Fever" that will feature Anna, Elsa, Kristoff & Olaf.

frozen_fever_logo.jpg

"Directed by Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee, and produced by Peter Del Vecho and Aimee Scribner, with an all-new original song by Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez, “Frozen Fever” marks the first project reuniting the Oscar-winning original team from Disney’s Frozen.

In Frozen Fever, it’s Anna’s birthday and Elsa and Kristoff are determined to give her the best celebration ever, but Elsa’s icy powers may put more than just the party at risk."

I don't know, but I kind of have mixed feelings about this. Obviously, the Frozen short is going to attract huge crowds who would not otherwise be drawn to go and see the Cinderella feature. And, people loved all of the Toy Story shorts.

I just wish Queen Elsa was not in the film -- Disney should just leave this down to earth, relatable to everyone thing to Anna and the supporting cast.

I know I am reading into this too much, but the idea of Elsa planning a birthday party makes me cringe, she is the freaking queen with a royal court. She's not supposed to be in yoga pants blowing up balloons and hanging up birthday banners. Kristoff and Olaf can handle this.

And, then this "Elsa's icy powers may put more than just the party at risk" thing -- not again. Disney is making Elsa sound goofy and clumsy when Elsa should have this well under control by now.

Not to mention, it appears that Elsa will continue to be the boring third wheel to Anna and Kristoff's love life again. Where on earth are Elsa's boyfriends? Disney just seems to be intent on dumbing Elsa's image right down. I so hope I am wrong about this.

Anyway, it would be criminal if I didn't take a moment to gush about the gorgeous costumes from Cinderella!!!

Cinderella-Ella-and-Prince_poster.jpg

Cinderella-The-Wicked-Stepmother_poster.jpg

Cinderella-Fairy-Godmother_poster.jpg

Disney commissioned Oscar award winning costume designer Sandy Powell to design the costumes for Cinderella. The pieces presented here reflect an integrated myriad of distinctive layers and textures bursting with a vibrant infusion of color. :happy: It is my hope, that none of this will be overlooked or upstaged by "Frozen Fever." I understand that Disney just wants the film to be very successful and the Frozen short could possibly double or even triple the box office figures.

And MOST refreshingly, in this movie Cinderella is still the "good guy" and the Stepmother isn't some poor misunderstood anti-villain. What a freaking relief. :D

It's also interesting that the stepsisters aren't ugly. They're cute. And I like the Fairy Godmother already. I'll def be seeing this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom