Frozen at Disney's Hollywood Studios for the summer?

doctornick

I got what he was saying and I didn't think he discounted what the performers did. Yes, it's harder than what the average person can/can't do but on the same hand they aren't close to the level of Olympic pairs skater.

Yeah, I remember seeing "Disney on Ice" caliber mentioned and that seems like a reasonable assessment. The BatB show is not on par with a Broadway show, but that doesn't mean it isn't quality.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I have seen a video of the show and I think you do a disservice to the cast members performing. I don't know about you, but I (and I'm willing to bet about 90% of the members on this board) have trouble just skating forward without falling on my face. Much less skating backwards, skating with speed, turning into spins, jumps and partnering. Not to mention the rink size/ space limitations.
Just because they make it look easy doesn't mean it is actually easy. It is a great little show.

Me saying its nice and professional but not Olympic means its a disservice? There isn't a quad or a death spiral to be had out there. What Olympics are you watching, because if you're seriously going to compare the Olympics to that, I know some angry figure skating fans that will take insult to your insinuation.

Me thinks thou doth protest too much. Its Disney on Ice.

Last edited:

John Case

I know people were complaining about this in earlier message boards but I looked at some of the photos and videos for the ice skating rink especially... Seems a little undecorated to say the least.

Marc Gil

I went to "Frozen Studios" today... As expected, there were banners at every corner of the park promoting Frozen Summer Fun. Disney is really milking every cent of this film.

The actual Frozen themed area was pretty dull... Well, as a native Floridian, I wouldn't be caught dead ice skating, but that's not entirely the point.

It looked like they assembled it in a few days... Well that's exactly what happened. I only spend 10 minutes tops in the area.

The fireworks, however, I must say were pretty top notch!

Another side note... DHS was swarmed with Argentinian and Brazilian tour groups!! Be prepared for the obnoxious chanting if you're heading out there any time soon!

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Reading through this thread, I have seen the phrase "thrown together at the last minute" (or some variation thereof) a lot, mostly by people speculating about what they think this event will be like. Just something to keep in mind...

Things at WDW that were "thrown together at the last minute":

The Hoop Dee Doo Revue
Festival of the Lion King
Voices of Liberty
Dream Along With Mickey

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I went to "Frozen Studios" today... As expected, there were banners at every corner of the park promoting Frozen Summer Fun. Disney is really milking every cent of this film.

The actual Frozen themed area was pretty dull... Well, as a native Floridian, I wouldn't be caught dead ice skating, but that's not entirely the point.

It looked like they assembled it in a few days... Well that's exactly what happened. I only spend 10 minutes tops in the area.

The fireworks, however, I must say were pretty top notch!

Another side note... DHS was swarmed with Argentinian and Brazilian tour groups!! Be prepared for the obnoxious chanting if you're heading out there any time soon!

Good post. I would agree that the rink looks good for what I would expect an upscale shopping mall to have, not anything on the level of what I think Disney is capable of, but I blame the fans for accepting such mediocre crap as much as I blame TWDC for producing it. We are in a viscous circle of non-stop sh*t offerings right now. But eh, HS needed something, so I guess...that'll do pig...

Marc Gil

Reading through this thread, I have seen the phrase "thrown together at the last minute" (or some variation thereof) a lot, mostly by people speculating about what they think this event will be like. Just something to keep in mind...

The Hoop Dee Doo Revue
Voices of Liberty
Dream Along With Mickey
It indeed looks "thrown together". If you go in person, you'll see.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

The Hoop Dee Doo Revue
Voices of Liberty
Dream Along With Mickey
You make an excellent point, but I think (keep in mind I said, "I think") the difference is that none of what you listed was "thrown together at the last minute" to compete with another theme park up the street. Disney may be in uncharted territory here, having to actually realize that they are no longer the big fish in the little pond. Yes, they are still by far the most large fish in the pond and will be for some time, but they now have to consider the fact that they have serious competition. Uni is the "Bad News Bears" of Orlando.

cw1982

stupid question alert..
i know i know....:rolleyes:

is the skating rink for guests or performers?
i havnt really taken the time to investigate this quality..ermmm this attraction ,uhm this frozen thing they just threw together..

It's both. 30-minute public sessions with 5-minute performances that occur after the ice gets resurfaced.

Next Big Thing

Two WEEKS. Two months ago, you had Darth's Mall
Talk about waiting until the least minute, honestly. Tech week is known as hell week in theater and I imagine every one of those days was exactly that. A full scale, park wide event being installed in 2-weeks just sounds disastrous, but from all accounts (and personal experience), they seem to have pulled it off fairly well.

Next Big Thing

I'm about 12 pages behind, so this may have already been brought up, talked about or not at all.

The ice show that happenes in between half hours on the ice after the zamboni goes over the ice... where did they get those performers from?

I'm just curious as this seems to be a good way to promote Disney on Ice and the Frozen version of Disney on Ice begins in September of this year in Orlando... So i'm just wondering are performers who are going to be in that show? It would be an easy stage to help them practice certain routines for the show, see how audiences respond.

Again, just a thought. Could all just be a coincidence though.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

The Hoop Dee Doo Revue
Voices of Liberty
Dream Along With Mickey
In all fairness, a few months vs 10 days is not a great comparison.

Next Big Thing

"Elsa and Anna are busy traveling betweens kingdoms today. You could meet them at the Magic Kingdom. Please visit our many other offerings such as ice skating, sing a long show and fireworks."

Or translated for truth:

"We never really planned very well for anything Frozen. We originally planned to put Elsa and Anna only for a couple months inside the Puffin's Roost. The huge demand was something that totally caught us off guard. We didn't think we'd ever see the day that grown men were running through Epcot to gain a position in the 11am set. We didn't know what to do. Seeing our guests waiting 4 hours in line to meet characters has never happened before and was totally unprecedented. We were clueless. Flash forward to today and we now know how Frozen has taken a life of its own. We should've had Olaf and Kristoff from the start. It took our Parks chairman laying down the law to make this event happen. We should have planned better and had more characters out. This will probably end up on wdwmagic.com but most of us in Guest Relations have our hands tied. The soccer moms come in and request Kristoff and Olaf but there's nothing we can do. If management would have planned better this would have never happened and the entire Frozen unit would be in daily ops. We are sorry and wish there was something we could do. Oh, and one more thing- Asianway speaks truth. Have a magical day and don't forget to book your fast passes via your magicband."
Dude, I get being down on management for things, but you don't need to keep repeating it over and over again that they were only supposed to be out for a few months. That was paid for by the Studio and they didn't know how big the movie would be then. When it turned out that there was 5 hour lines, there was no going back.

I'll give you they should have planned for this event better as they have known since the beginning of the year how big of a smash it is. But no need to keep rehashing the same thing over and over.

DisneyFan 2000

Thank you posters for sharing pictures and your experience! From best I can tell it all looks pretty lousy (and no - this is regardless of the attraction-that-shall-not-be-named the neighbors are opening up). I truly hope this is just a temporary summer thing and not a "temporary" BAH / Mickey's wand scenario. But what I find most discouraging is reading fans say "well, at least it's something". Truly, I hope we all realize soon how short we're selling ourselves in the name of a brand that clearly intends on showing us next to no respect with it's upcoming offerings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom