Frozen at Disney's Hollywood Studios for the summer?

Matt_Black

That's not very fair. The budget had already been set, so they did need to take time on this one and carefully set things up. If money were no object, then yeah, it's a valid point.

xstech25

I just watched the videos on youtube of the event and the offerings and thought "that all looks really nice."...then came on here and see everyone destroying it, as usual. I think everything looks fine for something that is going to be there for a few months and is the quality I would expect from Disney.

Amazing some people can't accept the fact that Disney is a business and is going to do what they have to do to make money. Universal would do the same thing if they had such a popular movie, hence why they are building clones of Harry Potter Land (minus Dragons) in Japan and California right now...and how they are milking potter for every cent they can by making people buy a park hopper to see the whole thing.

Extreme amount of over reaction here, if you don't like then here's an idea: don't go and let the hundreds of thousands of people that enjoy it, enjoy it.
Does anyone remember the Donald's Birthday event back in the 80s? You know, back before Disney was ruined, and the quality was great etc etc...this event is way better than that and that lasted for months also. It's sad that some people fixate their lives on scrutinizing everything Disney does and trying to justify to themselves that it's bad.

Last edited:

DisneyFan 2000

I just watched the videos on youtube of the event and the offerings and thought "that all looks really nice."...then came on here and see everyone destroying it, as usual. I think everything looks fine for something that is going to be there for a few months and is the quality I would expect from Disney.

Amazing some people can't accept the fact that Disney is a business and is going to do what they have to do to make money. Universal would do the same thing if they had such a popular movie, hence why they are building clones of Harry Potter Land (minus Dragons) in Japan and California right now...and how they are milking potter for every cent they can by making people buy a park hopper to see the whole thing.

Extreme amount of over reaction here, if you don't like then here's an idea: don't go and let the hundreds of thousands of people that enjoy it, enjoy it.
Does anyone remember the Donald's Birthday event back in the 80s? You know, back before Disney was ruined, and the quality was great etc etc...this event is way better than that and that lasted for months also. It's sad that some people fixate their lives on scrutinizing everything Disney does and trying to justify to themselves that it's bad.
A. We're all expressing opinions, I appreciate that you have a positive one, I really do. But there's room for the less-than-positive too. And a little side tip, don't tell people to do or not do something. It doesn't usually rub off well - and for the record, this little Frozen event definitely hasn't urged me to book a flight so don't worry about me not showing up. :)
B. Personally I get that Disney is a company and personally I'm a huge fan of Frozen. Saw it opening weekend before all the hype turned up to 11 and have loved it since and regardless of exploding hoopala. Moreover, I would love Disney to do and clone what Uni is cloning right now and to milk this franchise in such a manner. Unfortunately the best they have under their belt is a semi-decent, at best, firework show.
C. Since we're on the topic of giving advise on what not to do if you don't like something - I recommend something other than a message board if you have issues with varying opinions. I'm a long time poster here, I've expressed the negative, positive and indifferent. Don't believe me? Search for me being cautiously optimistic for Avatar in any number of threads. Many "critical" members here do exactly the same. Post a little bit of both sides of the coin. No reason you should take it so hard.

PS, yes I remember reading about the birthday event of the 80s. I still shudder to think that some tourists had to endure that hideous sight of a castle. :hungover:

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
PS, yes I remember reading about the birthday event of the 80s. I still shudder to think that some tourists had to endure that hideous sight of a castle. :hungover:

The birthday event of the 80's was not the event which gave us the Pepto Bismol Castle. That was the 25th anniversary celebration in 1996.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

And some can't accept the fact that because Disney is a business this last-minute show and its merchandise accompaniment was thrown together in the first place....

Kman101

For a quick offering, it doesn't look all that bad. I'm really not sure what was expected? It's not that big of a deal to me either way. I appreciate that they reacted (whether it was "late" or not). It's fine for what it is. Did people expect Arendelle overnight? Does any of what they did really surprise us though? The banners? The stage? And we all know they SHOULD have planned something, but again folks, we know how TDO operates. I'm not sure why it's got to be constantly repeated that they didn't react, etc.

They did a nice job with the ice skating performance, and the sing-along ... meh, that's not for me, but I liked the interaction between the historians and the characters. More of that, less video screen sing-along, IMO. More on-stage would be better.

They always seem to do well with the Fireworks.

UKDisneyAddict

I phoned Disney yesterday to book the premium Frozen package but was told that you cannot book this in advance and have to go to Min & Bills at 10am on the day to purchase this. I phoned back to ask another CM but was told the same thing. I'm rather confused as all of the info says to call and that reservations are recommended!! Has anyone else had any problems with this?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
What would you have done that's so much better? Attractions take typically 3-5 years to design and build, considering they probably already have one in the pipes what would you have done now to capitalize on the movies success thats so much better?
Still build them then. They're not having any issues capitalizing on this movie. But new rides are not currently the focus at WDW, merchandise sales have the higher priorities. Because after all, it's a business....

DisneyFan 2000

The birthday event of the 80's was not the event which gave us the Pepto Bismol Castle. That was the 25th anniversary celebration in 1996.
My bad. Either way that one was awful. Truly, deeply awful.

What would you have done that's so much better? Attractions take typically 3-5 years to design and build, considering they probably already have one in the pipes what would you have done now to capitalize on the movies success thats so much better?
If I were a big shot at Disney? I'd start planning somewhere around February, around the time they took the Oscars and it was clear this movie isn't moving anywhere anytime soon, NOT mid June. And IF I had to start planning only 10 days in advance (which I doubt anyone had to, they just react at snails pace to both bad - competition and good - in-house phenomenons.) I'd make sure the offerings I did offer were up to snuff for a company with a reputation such as Disney's. Some ideas perhaps? No need to get too creative, DLR has already proven they have the right idea in adding Frozen presence. Just look at the seamless addition to the WOC show (and that was done right off the bat too), the pre-parade float at DL and various other small and classy touches. Sadly though, I'm no big shot at Disney. Just one really disappointed fan. PLEASE for the love of all things Disney wake up and realize that this is NOT the best they could come up with, not even with that lame excuse of a "10 day window for preparation".

Ariel1986

If I were a big shot at Disney? I'd start planning somewhere around February, around the time they took the Oscars and it was clear this movie isn't moving anywhere anytime soon, NOT mid June. And IF I had to start planning only 10 days in advance (which I doubt anyone had to, they just react at snails pace to both bad - competition and good - in-house phenomenons.) I'd make sure the offerings I did offer were up to snuff for a company with a reputation such as Disney's. Some ideas perhaps? No need to get too creative, DLR has already proven they have the right idea in adding Frozen presence. Just look at the seamless addition to the WOC show (and that was done right off the bat too), the pre-parade float at DL and various other small and classy touches. Sadly though, I'm no big shot at Disney. Just one really disappointed fan. PLEASE for the love of all things Disney wake up and realize that this is NOT the best they could come up with, not even with that lame excuse of a "10 day window for preparation".

So... the Frozen scene being added to the castle projection show and Anna and Elsa into FoF parade is completely different and not as classy as DLR?

The event here to me doesn't look much different to Star Wars Weekends, just a different theme... and there's not too many complaints over Star Wars Weekends... The fans of Frozen are getting something similar just themed to their fandom. Who says that further plans for Frozen things that will be done properly, but that take time, aren't already in the works- Disney just hasn't announced them? This way people wanting more Frozen now have something whilst they wait...

*braces for a torrent of abuse*

P.s. I love both Disney and Universal and am very excited to see DA. I'm not even on the Frozen band wagon either, I thought the film was just OK (apart from Let It Go, which I love. Apart from that I think Tangled was a much better film!).

xstech25

Like I said before, I think it's fine or even a little better than I was expecting. Also I live in Southern California, I know all about DLR, so what if they got a pre-parade? WDW has them in the real parade.

This is a big draw for DHS during a busy time of year. WDW and DLR are different markets, it makes perfect sense to me. And wm49ers I don't think you understood my post, how do you know they have not been working on a Frozen ride? New attractions take 3-5 years, Avatar's contract was signed in 2011 and they just broke ground a few months ago now in 2014. Even for single-standing attractions like Ratatouille in Paris that thing has been in the design and build stage for years and years. These things don't pop out of the ground. If you are going to innovate in big ways and have attention to quality and detail it takes time to do it right, Diagon Alley at Universal was being designed while the first Wizarding World was being built, and here it is opening 5 years later.

And of course they are going to sell merchandise because there is consumer demand, why would they not do it? Merch has always been a huge part of every movie studio (especially ones that target kids) and theme parks revenues: how do you think they pay for those nightly fireworks/maintenance & upkeep of the parks/new rides & shows/landscaping/employee salaries?

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

Meh. The castle cake wasn't really that bad in person, in my opinion. For what it was, it was sort of cool. 90s quality pictures don't honestly do it any kind of justice. I can see, though, how it would be received differently by guests who only got to travel to Disney once in their lifetime. The castle shouldn't necessarily be something you significantly change for an extended period. Thankfully it was during a time when Disney still defined "temporary" as "temporary."

As for these new Frozen offerings, I think it all looks good for what it is. I found myself laughing out loud a few times during the sing-a-long, the Historians are pretty funny. It was nice to finally see Kristoff represented as well. I don't ice skate, but the rink is pretty nice even if it's not for me. The fireworks were great, as usual. Disney always does well with fireworks. The parade could use some help.

I honestly think the whole thing is really well done considering it was put together in mere days. People often seem to forget (or be unaware of) the fact that these little promotional events used to be pretty common and they didn't necessary always look this good or have this much to offer.

RayTheFirefly

I thought the firework show was great. The parts with Olaf were horribly awkward (they used horribly edited stolen pieces from the movie), but everything else was cute, and the actual fireworks were extremely well done.

DisneyFan 2000

So... the Frozen scene being added to the castle projection show and Anna and Elsa into FoF parade is completely different and not as classy as DLR?
Nope, just sadly not a part of Frozen summer. And the difference between this and Star Wars is the length this event will be going on - color me one of the skeptics of it truly being gone when summer is over.
You'll be getting no abuse from me. Your opinion is yours and it's perfectly fine with me. :)

These things don't pop out of the ground.
Don't mention Transformers, don't mention Transformers, don't mention Transformers...

Meh. The castle cake wasn't really that bad in person, in my opinion. For what it was, it was sort of cool. 90s quality pictures don't honestly do it any kind of justice. I can see, though, how it would be received differently by guests who only got to travel to Disney once in their lifetime. The castle shouldn't necessarily be something you significantly change for an extended period. Thankfully it was during a time when Disney still defined "temporary" as "temporary."
I'll have to take your word for it. I've only seen the pictures and my oh my... But as you said, at least back then we could rest assured it really was a temporary thing.

Biff215

I phoned Disney yesterday to book the premium Frozen package but was told that you cannot book this in advance and have to go to Min & Bills at 10am on the day to purchase this. I phoned back to ask another CM but was told the same thing. I'm rather confused as all of the info says to call and that reservations are recommended!! Has anyone else had any problems with this?
I just booked it on the phone. Prepaid, 24 hours cancellation. This way we can check it out early in our trip and then determine if we need to keep the package, mostly to avoid long waits to see the sing along.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I'm about 12 pages behind, so this may have already been brought up, talked about or not at all.

The ice show that happenes in between half hours on the ice after the zamboni goes over the ice... where did they get those performers from?

I'm just curious as this seems to be a good way to promote Disney on Ice and the Frozen version of Disney on Ice begins in September of this year in Orlando... So i'm just wondering are performers who are going to be in that show? It would be an easy stage to help them practice certain routines for the show, see how audiences respond.

Again, just a thought. Could all just be a coincidence though.

Disney on Ice. Its a 5 minute show. Most likely its NOT a coincidence.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster

That is not correct. You must purchase in advance.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I just booked it on the phone. Prepaid, 24 hours cancellation. This way we can check it out early in our trip and then determine if we need to keep the package, mostly to avoid long waits to see the sing along.
There really shouldn't be a problem with the sing-along waits. You get a ticket for a designated show, then you have an arrival window. They have something like 7 shows a day, and I would expect demand to decrease significantly over the next week or so.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom