Rumor Frontierland Shootin' arcade to close and replaced with DVC Member lounge

Casper Gutman

That “bad investment” might have paid for itself many times over if you’d bought in back then.

Heck my investment 14 years ago has paid for itself with 4 vacations. Nowadays though it would take a lot longer, 2010 was just before prices started to rise astronomically.
Considering what it’s done to the resorts, no amount of discounts would have made it a wise investment. That was also when room prices in general were broadly reasonable.

Brian

That “bad investment” might have paid for itself many times over if you’d bought in back then.

Heck my investment 14 years ago has paid for itself with 4 vacations. Nowadays though it would take a lot longer, 2010 was just before prices started to rise astronomically.
If someone bought Old Key West during its initial offering, they would be at under $50 per point. For $5,000 plus some fees and taxes, they'd have 50 years of vacations.

I think that's a good investment. Certainly much harder to justify now at >$200 per point.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I think it’s fair to criticize folks for investing in something that makes the resort experience worse for everyone else
You're bitter lol. We deserve to be treated as the cream of the crop and should have the red carpet rolled out for us every time we set foot on property. If that means some "poor" family doesn't get an exclusive lounge, so be it. This "attraction" has always been a huge waste of space, so good riddance. Keep seething.

DVC was the best investment we've ever made and considering we go 2-3 times a year it was "paid off" in no time. It's certainly one of the best timeshares out there in terms of quality accommodations and flexibility of visiting compared to the timeshare my grandparents own, which is extremely limiting.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
yeah I do agree the prices now are kinda wild. They also have the least pushy sales people, so if someone wants to get into it, they had plenty of opportunities not to.
What if I told you there are rumors that regular resort guests are being contacted by DVC representatives prior to their check-in date, attempting to sell them on DVC? Not something I've confirmed personally, so grain of salt and all.

nickys

Premium Member
If someone bought Old Key West during its initial offering, they would be at under $50 per point. For $5,000 plus some fees and taxes, they'd have 50 years of vacations.

I think that's a good investment. Certainly much harder to justify now at >$200 per point.
The discounts today have cut that by 20% for a new buyer of 150 points at OKW. That is a pretty big discount - and an interesting move given it has over 30 years left.

Tha Realest

How much would that lump sum investment have earned in a decently performing investment account over that time?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Considering what it’s done to the resorts, no amount of discounts would have made it a wise investment. That was also when room prices in general were broadly reasonable.
So it didn't make sense for a family of 6 to buy into DVC in the mid-2000's? Because paying cash for 2 standard rooms every time they'd go was a better deal? :rolleyes:

Seriously. Stop throwing your personal grievances against DVC onto everyone who bought it. No one bought it as an investment (and if they did, that was their own stupidity). It was positioned, quite correctly, as 'paying now for deluxe rooms into the future'. The value has dropped as they have jacked prices up through the roof, but those who bought in in the first 15 years of its existence more than got their money's worth out of it.

Brian

How much would that lump sum investment have earned in a decently performing investment account over that time?
There's too many variables on either side to calculate. What I can say is that if you had a young family who enjoys going to Disney each year or more, DVC was an excellent investment.

Could you have put that money into just the right security at just the right time, made a fortune and paid cash at the Four Seasons twice a year? Sure. But most DVC buyers don't want to mess around with things like that. It offers convenience and simplicity, and back in the 90s, and even early 2000s, was an excellent value.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Anyway, please stop the "Is DVC worth it?" discussion. It's neither here nor there, and one user just had to use their personal grievances to get people off on that tangent.

This is not about the loss of some mega-popular attraction. It's the loss of yet another detail. Details matter. But Disney and TDO don't care. That is what should be discussed.

Casper Gutman

So it didn't make sense for a family of 6 to buy into DVC in the mid-2000's? Because paying cash for 2 standard rooms every time they'd go was a better deal? :rolleyes:

Seriously. Stop throwing your personal grievances against DVC onto everyone who bought it. No one bought it as an investment (and if they did, that was their own stupidity). It was positioned, quite correctly, as 'paying now for deluxe rooms into the future'. The value has dropped as they have jacked prices up through the roof, but those who bought in in the first 15 years of its existence more than got their money's worth out of it.
You see why “guaranteeing payment now for a resort visit in the future” provides an awful incentive for a company, right?

Dranth

I think it’s fair to criticize folks for investing in something that makes the resort experience worse for everyone else. It’s been a transparently terrible idea from day one and what’s followed was predictable.
No, it isn't and you can literally make that same ridiculous claim with just about anything.

Last edited:

tissandtully

Yeah our guide (this was more than 10 years ago) told us the person who came up with the free APs for DVC when it first started got fired lol, clearly too good of a deal

mightynine

1712071289366.png

tissandtully

What if I told you there are rumors that regular resort guests are being contacted by DVC representatives prior to their check-in date, attempting to sell them on DVC? Not something I've confirmed personally, so grain of salt and all.
Yeah and they get free LL or something if they go check out a model unit, but they aren't forced to do that and they aren't heavily pressured to buy anything. Unless that's changed, it was the most casual thing more than 10 years ago. I'll admit I haven't done any of the sales stuff recently, we just get the rare phone call from the same guide we had when we bought.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom