Rumor Frontierland Shootin' arcade to close and replaced with DVC Member lounge

bmr1591

Details do matter. The overall experience is greater than the sum of its parts. Remove the details and the overall experience suffers. But that doesn't matter, I guess I'll just go to Bass Pro Shops to get that experience now, right?

If you go to the one near my hometown, absolutely! It's highly themed and interactive.

tissandtully

They aren't wrong. Sadly. I'd say more but don't want to derail this thread, there are other threads for this discussion.
I'll eat my hat if Buzz is taken away cause of use of laser blasters. It's just a made-up scenario, when there are plenty of other reasons that ride could go away.

WDW had every opportunity to delete Frontierland Shooting arcade during COVID and they didn't, they actually made it free. Doesn't sound like any sort of controversial thing to me.

Casper Gutman

You don’t even go to the parks what do you care?
I go to the parks for a day or two each year. I still love them, and I suspect I’ve thought about their cultural significance a whole lot more than you.
Blaming people for buying a product that Disney offers.
Yes, purchasing things should be the one area of life completely free from critique.
Why not put the blame where it belongs, on your sweater wearing hero.
Yes, I’m famously a fan of Iger. That’s why I… don’t go to the parks often. Which you just attacked me for.

Sure, Disney is ultimately most to blame for DVC. From Disney’s cynical, greedy standpoint, however, DVC makes a tremendous amount of sense. For guests, on the other hand, it’s a way to encourage the long-term deterioration of the parks.

Dranth

One day, Buzz will be removed for the same unspoken reasons. Any shooting attraction will be bad PR and result in some executives wanting them removed.
It will not be removed because it has cartoonishly colored, oversized ray guns that shot stickers on cardboard cutouts. It will however get taken out because it isn't a very good ride and is the most likely vector of the next great pandemic that will wipe out humanity.

Dizknee_Phreek

People just don’t get it. Stuff like this was the Disney difference. It’s important to have things to do other than wait in lines all day. Give me Tom Sawyer Island and the Shooting Gallery over Tron and Seven Dwarfs.

Rides are overrated. Attractions are underrated.

The naysayers belong at Six Flags.
I'm with you on this. Not to say I don't enjoy the rides. I do. But my family started going to WDW annually when I was 7. From my first trip up until my mid-teenager years, I was terrified of a lot of rides (Pirates, Haunted Mansion, any roller coaster, hated 3-D attractions). Obviously, that cut out quite a few rides that I was willing to do at MK as a child. But when I discovered the shooting gallery, I fell in love with it! It was fun, interactive, and I could hang out there and play while my sister was off riding Big Thunder. We need more of THAT sort of thing. Attractions that literally the whole family can do together, or families with younger kids can do while the bigger kids are enjoying the more thrilling rides. Even as a 39 year old adult, the shooting gallery was a must stop for me every visit because it was one of those small details that brought back a lot of good memories.
I just don't understand how this is the space they decided to cram a DVC lounge into when I can think of 4-5 spaces off the top of my head in Tomorrowland that aren't really being utilized at all. I'd much rather them turn the shooting gallery into a paid attraction again and use another space that's currently sitting empty. This may be a small loss to most people, but to some of us it's another punch in the gut from Disney execs.

Trauma

I go to the parks for a day or two each year. I still love them, and I suspect I’ve thought about their cultural significance a whole lot more than you.

Yes, purchasing things should be the one area of life completely free from critique.

Yes, I’m famously a fan of Iger. That’s why I… don’t go to the parks often. Which you just attacked me for.

Sure, Disney is ultimately most to blame for DVC. From Disney’s cynical, greedy standpoint, however, DVC makes a tremendous amount of sense. For guests, on the other hand, it’s a way to encourage the long-term deterioration of the parks.
I won’t bother responding to your constant bloviating about how you understand the parks better than anyone else.

However you did get one thing right.

Disney is to blame.

Unless the guests pick up hammers and start building DVC resorts, the blame will remain on Disney.

Jenny72

Huh. I'm actually a bit bummed about this. We had a stupid amount of fun with this last time we went. We were tired of waiting on lines and didn't feel like queuing up for anything, and kind of wandered by, and then it just ended up being stupid fun. Like, one of those unexpected things when you're wandering around. There was no one there when we started, but maybe we looked like we were having fun, because a bunch of people joined in.

I can see why they might want to remove it, but I wish they'd put a few more things like this in, instead of a lounge. The funny thing is that they could be pretty cheap and still add so much.

bryanfze55

Wait... so you're saying that there needs to be some kind of balance between rides and attractions and experiences in a theme park? What kind of heresy is this???
I can’t think of many theme parks that are giving any deference to the “attractions” side of the equation anymore.

Drdcm

Just of note… because it has come up in this discussion recently. The new TBA poster specifically says Frontierland on it. I’m doubtful they’re planning on scrapping the entire land if it’s specifically mentioned on their promotional poster.

Casper Gutman

I won’t bother responding to your constant bloviating about how you understand the parks better than anyone else.
Oh, I’d never claim to understand them better then anyone else - not even better then quite a few people on this board.
However you did get one thing right.

Disney is to blame.

Unless the guests pick up hammers and start building DVC resorts, the blame will remain on Disney.
So why does Disney keep building DVC resorts?

wdwfan22

Yeah and they get free LL or something if they go check out a model unit, but they aren't forced to do that and they aren't heavily pressured to buy anything. Unless that's changed, it was the most casual thing more than 10 years ago. I'll admit I haven't done any of the sales stuff recently, we just get the rare phone call from the same guide we had when we bought.
You don't have to do anything to receive the free trinkets that they are mailing to you. You just have to have a resort reservation. Those that visit and take the tour are provided with an additional incentive.

Brian

Yeah and they get free LL or something if they go check out a model unit, but they aren't forced to do that and they aren't heavily pressured to buy anything. Unless that's changed, it was the most casual thing more than 10 years ago. I'll admit I haven't done any of the sales stuff recently, we just get the rare phone call from the same guide we had when we bought.
There is currently no incentive provided for participating in the "open house" tour at WDW. There used to be gift cards and/or FastPasses provided, but there is nothing right now. Though there are rumors of some incentives returning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom