Frontierland makeover

GoofGoof

Premium Member
One can only hope. I think they might be waking up to the possibility that Universal is capable of hurting their bottom line. But, I don't think they are quite there yet. The upper management at Disney have egos the size of Everest, and I think they have see a little more taken out of their attendance % before they'll really wise up. I think that will probably come with the opening of HP 2.0. Will be very interesting to see what happens in 2014/2015. Even with that, Disney builds so slowly and Universal is building so fast, it'll take quite awhile for Disney to catch up in terms of adding new attractions...of course they could build faster...but they just won't.

I don't see this as a reaction to Universal if it happens. Like FLE, nobody is going to say forget Potter I'm going to MK for a new Frontierland ride. If this happens it works financially because it would increase capacity and help even out crowds in MK and eliminate some less popular attractions. TSI and the River Boat cost money to operate and maintain. For TDO they would not have to increase their operating and maintenance budgets too much since they would be offsetting some of the costs for the new ride by eliminating the costs of the old rides. This would be unlike Carsland and Avatar which would help to revitalize 2 parks with a definite need for more attractions.

The one thing I don't get is how this would tie in to existing or future films. The Western is pretty much dead at this point unless they do tie it in with Lone Range, but that would be a pretty big risk IMO.

SirLink

I don't see this as a reaction to Universal if it happens. Like FLE, nobody is going to say forget Potter I'm going to MK for a new Frontierland ride. If this happens it works financially because it would increase capacity and help even out crowds in MK and eliminate some less popular attractions. TSI and the River Boat cost money to operate and maintain. For TDO they would not have to increase their operating and maintenance budgets too much since they would be offsetting some of the costs for the new ride by eliminating the costs of the old rides. This would be unlike Carsland and Avatar which would help to revitalize 2 parks with a definite need for more attractions.

The one thing I don't get is how this would tie in to existing or future films. The Western is pretty much dead at this point unless they do tie it in with Lone Range, but that would be a pretty big risk IMO.

If it is a cutting edge attraction people will come to it if its the new hotness - if people are wowed, they'll want to buy merch and your Emporium one Disney cr@p either unique merch at that.

Quite frankly the MK is starving out for a new E-ticket the last one was Splash in MK right was 1992, ( you could count Alien Encounter(94), but that got closed by stupid people).

lazyboy97o

I don't see this as a reaction to Universal if it happens. Like FLE, nobody is going to say forget Potter I'm going to MK for a new Frontierland ride.
You are making a mistake in your analysis that is far too common amongst theme park fans. Attendance looks give in the TEA/AECOM report, but is not that big of a deal. The problem with Harry Potter is that is proved Disney to be completely wrong about the environment regarding spending. Spending at Disney has been depressed not because of the economy and other external factors, but because people are just not interested in buying what Disney is selling. Universal has people spend money that Disney spent years saying people did not have to spend. Universal is creating experiences that open up people's wallets.

SirLink

You are making a mistake in your analysis that is far too common amongst theme park fans. Attendance looks give in the TEA/AECOM report, but is not that big of a deal. The problem with Harry Potter is that is proved Disney to be completely wrong about the environment regarding spending. Spending at Disney has been depressed not because of the economy and other external factors, but because people are just not interested in buying what Disney is selling. Universal has people spend money that Disney spent years saying people did not have to spend. Universal is creating experiences that open up people's wallets.

In which you had a detail heavy area a cool attraction that backed up the style and offered unique merchandise stuff that you aren't gonna find in your local supermarket.

Matt7187

I hope this happens, but I have a feeling it probably won't… I hate having to say that because they should be spending lots of money to make the parks spectacular and to stay the number 1 theme parks in the world!

Patricia Melton

This sounds magical...though I never thought Frontierland needed any work. I think it's so simple the way it is and that works for the time period.

I wish Adventureland would get some more excitement and that Tomorrowland would be completely redone so it is fresh and sparkling and exciting.

Keep Frontierland quiet and simple and old-timey. It's a nice part of the park for grandparents to go and just enjoy a relaxing time without too much excitement. It feels more like a park to me than part of a theme park and that is what's nice about it. It is a place that not very many young people want to go so when I need a breather I go to Frontierland where there are no crowds.

spacemt354

Chili's
When it takes them 4 years to complete one D ticket coaster, I can't imagine how long it'd take them to build an E ticket ride, much less full lands. But again, just would color me very surprised if this supposed addition to Frontierland actually comes to fruition.

While I do agree with your skepticism, to be fair I do believe the 7DMT only started real construction last fall (I'm assuming that's the D ticket you were referring to). So it's only going to 2 years to complete. That being said though, I'm honestly shocked at all these projects. Even though no dirt has been moved, the fact that these projects are being talked about as if they have a good chance of being green lit is a great sign. How long these projects will take, or of all of them will become reality is a different story.

There's a lot on the plate from what I've gathered reading the rumors here. And over the next few years leading up to the 50th, it should be interesting how it plays out. I'm only speculating, but if all these projects come true (a big "if") then based on Disney's track record with construction I could see it playing out like 7DMT (2014), DHS new shows (2014/15), Carsland (2016), Frontierland expansion (2016/2017) Avatarland (2017/18), Indy ride/Star Wars (2018/19/20)

wdwfan4ver

Indy ride/Star Wars is something that shouldn't be on a time frame at this time. That one depends on what Insider on on these forums doing the talking. I am saying that because some insiders claim Indy ride isn't going to happen even before this thread and M.Rudolf gave a time frame when the Indy ride will happen. I am not saying M.Rudolf is wrong, but there is really not agreement with the insiders if that the Indy ride will happen. That tell me Indy ride isn't really a done deal and I can't be sure about at this time.

Star Wars is something different. All the insiders on this site is saying nothing new will be happening with Star Wars in the United States for Disney theme parks. The Insiders including Wdw1974 already mentioned new Star Wars attraction are for overseas.

MerlinTheGoat

Nope. Different park.
Disneyland? Would be incredibly disappointing if WDW once again lost out on its birth right attraction. I don't mind if it were cloned at DL. But if WRE were actually built in some form, it should at least come to the MK first and foremost at the very least.

Seems like whylightbulb is the only one here that has gotten any info about this project actually potentially moving forward past conceptual stages. M.rudolf mentioned that Tony Baxter would be working on a new MK project but it was vague as to what that would be. I realize whylightbulb is well respected here and other insiders here often tell people to take his word on things, but this time several other insiders seem to be in disagreement on the matter. It's very difficult to tell what's going on when everyone has completely contradictory sources.

I believe Martin, '74, and at possibly several others have consistently shot down any possibilities of an Indy ride. It's said that it had been on the table once again in recent years but had once again been axed due to being "too expensive". Unless some massive leadership changes end up happening, I don't see anything changing in the budgeting decisions. And as time goes on, I can imagine these things are only going to become more expensive to build.

spacemt354

Chili's
Indy ride/Star Wars is something that shouldn't be on a time frame at this time. That one depends on what Insider on on these forums doing the talking. I am saying that because some insiders claim Indy ride isn't going to happen even before this thread and M.Rudolf gave a time frame when the Indy ride will happen. I am not saying M.Rudolf is wrong, but there is really not agreement with the insiders if that the Indy ride will happen. That tell me Indy ride isn't really a done deal and I can't be sure about at this time.

I'm not sure anything can be considered a "done deal" at Disney until ground begins to move. Whether or not the insiders agree regarding the status of a project doesn't really do anything for me. I mean people have been flip flopping on Avatar for over a year now. Most insiders said it was dead. Then all of a sudden, oops just kidding, Cameron approved the Avatar concept.

All of these situations are very fluid and all the inside information should be taken with a grain of salt. The only truth is, nobody who posts on here knows for sure what is coming or not, because everything could change. But it is very much appreciated for the insiders to post their updates regarding these projects. Whether the insiders agree or not, these little tidbits at potential projects are very encouraging signs for TDO, and just having these discussions is a step in the right direction.

Captain Chaos

I'm not sure anything can be considered a "done deal" at Disney until ground begins to move. Whether or not the insiders agree regarding the status of a project doesn't really do anything for me. I mean people have been flip flopping on Avatar for over a year now. Most insiders said it was dead. Then all of a sudden, oops just kidding, Cameron approved the Avatar concept.

All of these situations are very fluid and all the inside information should be taken with a grain of salt. The only truth is, nobody who posts on here knows for sure what is coming or not, because everything could change. But it is very much appreciated for the insiders to post their updates regarding these projects. Whether the insiders agree or not, these little tidbits at potential projects are very encouraging signs for TDO, and just having these discussions is a step in the right direction.

And even after they start the project, doesn't mean they will continue (Hyperion Wharf)... They could easily prep land and then never build anything... I won't believe anything is happening until things are actually open and I am on the ride/standing in the land...

SirLink

No one said Avatar was 'Dead' they said the chances were slim that it would be built because Cameron was pushing Disney for more and Disney didn't want to pay much. I believe the term is value engineer it, same effect get people spending money and less cost to Disney.

My hope is that TDO is asking and wanting to build from now on - instead of Burbank coming in and saying: "Your building Project X".

njDizFan

The list of "green lit" or nearly done deals over the last couple of years is astonishing. It's hard to even make a list but it is quite disheartening knowing all the things that almost or maybe will come in the future with no signs of moving dirt.

Hyperion wharf/DTD expansion
Monsters Coaster
Tron Ride
WRE/TSI expansion
Cars Land
Imagination 4.0
WS Pavillion
Indy ride

ETC. ETC.

John

The list of "green lit" or nearly done deals over the last couple of years is astonishing. It's hard to even make a list but it is quite disheartening knowing all the things that almost or maybe will come in the future with no signs of moving dirt.

Hyperion wharf/DTD expansion
Monsters Coaster
Tron Ride
WRE/TSI expansion
Cars Land
Imagination 4.0
WS Pavillion
Indy ride

ETC. ETC.

80% of this is "supposed" "proposed" "almost" but nevermind. The sum of all this is ZERO! This makes the boy that cried wolf look credible. I am not attacking our insider members... I really am not. I appreciate them all. Disney is who I am calling out. All these projects make it to some level for these members get a hold of them. Some where along the line they get nixed. I refuse to get psyched about any of it. The last thread like this turned into a umteen page thread and arguement over who was going to direct a SW film. Again thank you lightbulb for the info. I dont want to seem like I am killing the messenger......just the message.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I wish I could see how the budgeting is done internally. I'd imagine its complex but I'd also imagine its short sighted in certain ways. I think they are afraid of cutting their margins lower by spending more because they don't make money generating products to go with their investments. Throwing the same slightly rethemed items in a new gift shop doesn't give me a reason to buy it. Look at Harry Potter... Where else are you going to get Butter Beer or HP wands besides maybe online...

Maybe one day I'll work for TWDC but I will work anywhere at this point (It isn't a requirement I work at TWDC though, might make me hate it lol).. Almost got a job with NBC Universal in finance but the damn economy didn't help!

Atomicmickey

Thanks whylightbulb, you always have good info.

Fingers crossed, add it to the large pile of things that might be but currently aren't. As others have said, until earth moves (and Hyperion Wharf even proved that wrong), don't get hopes up. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom