Frontierland makeover

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Honest thought, I simply don't think anything dealing with the wild west is PC enough to be built. Indians in general can't be talked about the PC bunch has gone after things like professional ball teams being Indians or some version and sued them etc. I just don't see the wild west theme going any where. TSI is a ADA monster so if that's changed much it pretty much has to be bulldozed to the ground for the scooters, wheeler chairs and the others. Disney won't every say it but they are the park for the disabled and anything they change has to be up to the rules. I'm sure the caves which I love on TSI aren't in code and in fact with all the fat American's those caves may not be passable by 10-20% of the population. Might be higher. Wait till the one fat lady from Jersey gets stuck............

It's law to be ADA compliant... Anything new would have to comply and pre existing rides would have been modified already if such accommodations were readily achievable.

All the Frontierland rides are compliant and I'd imagine ADA wont disrupt any future projects... It's the norm.

kap91

I love the idea of expansion but please don't touch TSI or at least the ROA. Those two are some of the most unique, immersive, and relaxing rides/areas at any theme park. Must an addition in WDW always require the removal of something else?

dcibrando

As much as I want Disney to expand and grow. This ride doesn't seem to really excite me. We need Carsland at DHS, animal kingdom expansion (anything), another ride or some redos (energy and imagination) at Epcot , and fix tomorrowland and get rid of speedway

And oh yeah fix and expand dtd too

The Empress Lilly

Oww...this would be bad news if it came to pass! Hands off of the RoA and TSI!

The beauty, the mystical magic of the MK is to no small degree owing to how the lands fade off into 'infinite space'. The FL/LS area works because of the river, because of the sense of wide open space this gives. The transportation to another realm is not just a result of what is there, but also of what is implied.

This design feature - at once subtle and prominent - is one of aspects that make the difference between the magical Disney parks, and the 'parklike setting with large wharehouses with rides' of wannabe parks.

whylightbulb

Original Poster
Let me put this in perspective before the thread gets out of hand. The project recently was taken to the next step in the development process beyond Concept. That's why I said it's looking more likely. It hasn't been officially greenlit but it has made it past the stage that normally marks the end of the road and there are quite a few resources assigned to this including outside resources. This of course doesn't mean that it can't end up on the chopping block or end up being value engineered down to a food cart (that also goes for any other project out there right now including AK and Studio) but at this stage it's looking very good.

cba

I like the idea of a frontierland expansion or new ride but I really, really hope they don't get rid of/retheme Splash! :( Please Disney don't do it!
Disney won't be getting rid of Splash Mountain. But I really want to see changes done in the refurb. I hope to see positive changes if this Frontierland makeover is true. If the Frontierland makeover brings positive changes, I'd want to see Adventureland and Tomorrowland get done, also.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I believe I've brought this up before but this major project is looking more likely. Expect a major new attraction as part of the makeover that will be much like WRE with a twist. That's where things stand now and the plan is to begin construction after Snow White ride opens next year.

You are the man. Love this kinda info. I know it is not definite to get done, but half the fun is speculating what will happen. Any idea what the twist is? Will this somehow be tied into BTMRR like the original concept (not sure how that could work)?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Wow, you take a day off to eat some turkey and look what happens!
I'll take the advise here and be excited about the idea while being fully prepared for it never to happen.
I just like the idea that it seems that there is an ongoing effort to continue to put money into the parks. Hopefully expansions like this (which is far from greenlit) can be balanced with refurb efforts on existing attractions as well. Add new attraction A to give them the ability to take attraction B down for a lengthy refurb without affecting capacity too much.

DisneyLeo18

Have to say, I'm pretty surprised Frontierland would be the next to get a big addition. As others have mentioned maybe Tomorrowland would be first, but still surprised projects at other parks wouldn't be put forward before this one.

Either way, still will be excited to see another addition to MK, if it does happen.

WDWYankee15

I remember reading some insider chatter a while back that something similar DCA's Grizzly River Run was going to be added to the back half of Tom Sawyer's Island

I sure hope not! I don't like Kali River at AK and Blutto at Islands of Adventure. The rides can be fun but there is nothing that is worth being soaked to your underwear and walking around in wet socks all day. Even on the hottest of days this is not fun.

So please TDO think about the wet factor if you are going this direction. Splash Mt is the perfect blend of some wet but not so much that you don't dry in a realtivly decent period of time

midwest_mice

As much as I do enjoy the Liberty Belle, Rivers of America does take up a lot of land in the MK. I would be all for docking the boat doing something unique with it. TSI doesn't seem to get crowds as much as it used to. I would be in favor of a new attraction there and maybe bring back the explorer canoes to still use part of the ROA

BadWolf

There is all that land being wasted on Tom Sawyer's Island (take a look at google images). Build a bridge to TSI, dock the paddle boat at the loading platform (transform it into a ice cream shop) and bring TSI into the 21st century.

SirLink

Have to say, I'm pretty surprised Frontierland would be the next to get a big addition. As others have mentioned maybe Tomorrowland would be first, but still surprised projects at other parks wouldn't be put forward before this one.

Either way, still will be excited to see another addition to MK, if it does happen.

Here is the thing they should be investing in all the parks simultaneously not "project here wait 7 years then another here" which is what they have been doing

I'm just glad they It has progressed through one black hole - this would be a good time to kick out those Toons on a permanent basis.

Brian Noble

How does this play into P&R winding down capex at the the parks
CapEx for the segment is being scaled back, but that doesn't mean that nothing else goes into the parks. For example, they aren't building another DCL ship this year, whereas Dream and Fantasy entered service in '11 and '12, respectively. Plus, FLE fell mostly during DCA's reboot, but that's done too. Shanghai is still underway, but even so, there may well be room to add to Orlando while still "scaling back" Cap Ex vs. some of the prior years.

Lee

Adventurer
TSI for sure as far as I understand things. And yes, this is the rumored Baxter project.
TSI is the only expansion, to my knowledge, that has ever been considered for Frontierland. And that goes back...three or four years now, assuming this is the same project I was talking about back then.
When asked straight out about it, Tony Baxter denies any involvement in any MK project. Only way he's involved is if he worked on the concept in the past.

Lee

Adventurer
This of course doesn't mean that it can't end up on the chopping block or end up being value engineered down to a food cart (that also goes for any other project out there right now including AK and Studio) but at this stage it's looking very good.
Ouch! I hate those two words.
Especially since it may already have happened to another future project...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom