Frontierland makeover

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If it is a cutting edge attraction people will come to it if its the new hotness - if people are wowed, they'll want to buy merch and your Emporium one Disney cr@p either unique merch at that.

Quite frankly the MK is starving out for a new E-ticket the last one was Splash in MK right was 1992, ( you could count Alien Encounter(94), but that got closed by stupid people).
I'm not questioning that they could use another E-ticket at MK. I would love to have one. I'm just questioning how even an E-ticket themed to anything in Frontierland will be the answer to Potter. It won't and it can't. Star Wars - possibly, not wild west. It just doesn't have the appeal. My only point is that I don't think Disney management was sitting around a table saying "what is our answer to the boy wizard down the street" and decided a Western themed boat ride was the answer. IF it gets built it will not IMO be a reaction to Potter. It will be part of a plan to expand capacity and even out the flow in MK. In my opinion, we as fans put way too much stock into the Universal vs WDW debate. I don't think TWDC is as obsessed with it as we are as fans and not everything they do is a reaction to revenues lost to Universal. Whether that is short sighted on there part is a fair debate.

I agree that they could come up with unique merchandise and a different experience with this, but it's kinda funny how most people were luke warm at best to Avatar which would be exactly that. Unique and possibly cutting edge. Even before the rumors that the bike coaster was cut a lot of people were not too excited by the project. This is just a general observation, not directed at you since I have no idea where you stand on Avatar.

SirLink

Here is the thing if it is a cool innovative ride which ups the bar then people will spend big and that's the most important number with the parks. People who don't care for Potter still buy merch to remind them of the cool attraction.

I can assure you when you have Iger saying WWHP had an effect - it had a huge effect! They care about that as well as occupancy rates down, they care about losing money to a competitor.

culturenthrills

You are making a mistake in your analysis that is far too common amongst theme park fans. Attendance looks give in the TEA/AECOM report, but is not that big of a deal. The problem with Harry Potter is that is proved Disney to be completely wrong about the environment regarding spending. Spending at Disney has been depressed not because of the economy and other external factors, but because people are just not interested in buying what Disney is selling. Universal has people spend money that Disney spent years saying people did not have to spend. Universal is creating experiences that open up people's wallets.

This is what I have said repeatedly to people who always bring up attendance. It isn't just about attendance it is also about per guest spending and per guest spending is through the roof at Universal and has been flat to a little increase at WDW. That increase of per guest spending at WDW has only come from jacking prices. I can't be the only one who has noticed not only has food prices gone way up but merchandise prices have really jacked up. Have you seen how much they are charging for Christmas ornaments in the parks? Wherea UNI food and merchandise prices have stayed pretty level. After they saw the success of butterbeer they really have could have jacked the price up but it has stayed fairly reasonable. What do you think Disney would have done? UNI is offering a very high quality product right now for a much more reasonable price than WDW. People are starting to take a day or two away from WDW. With SW upping their game and also Legoland going after Disney's bread and butter, on top of all UNI is doing, TDO is scared cause take another day away from WDW and they will really be hurting them.

DznyRktekt

I think the pain of having a docked Liberty Belle could be lessened by having a signature dining location on the stationary craft, one that makes guests believe it is on the level of club 33 at Disneyland.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is what I have said repeatedly to people who always bring up attendance. It isn't just about attendance it is also about per guest spending and per guest spending is through the roof at Universal and has been flat to a little increase at WDW. That increase of per guest spending at WDW has only come from jacking prices. I can't be the only one who has noticed not only has food prices gone way up but merchandise prices have really jacked up. Have you seen how much they are charging for Christmas ornaments in the parks? Wherea UNI food and merchandise prices have stayed pretty level. After they saw the success of butterbeer they really have could have jacked the price up but it has stayed fairly reasonable. What do you think Disney would have done? UNI is offering a very high quality product right now for a much more reasonable price than WDW. People are starting to take a day or two away from WDW. With SW upping their game and also Legoland going after Disney's bread and butter, on top of all UNI is doing, TDO is scared cause take another day away from WDW and they will really be hurting them.
Don't take this as an attempt to start an argument, but where do you find info on per guest spending? I have heard this before and I am just curious since neither company really discloses that type of information in public filings. Is this just an assumption based on personal observation or spending habits or is it coming from insider information. Just curious.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Don't take this as an attempt to start an argument, but where do you find info on per guest spending? I have heard this before and I am just curious since neither company really discloses that type of information in public filings. Is this just an assumption based on personal observation or spending habits or is it coming from insider information. Just curious.

image-2.jpg

Everything you need is on the financial statements... There is just a lot to sift through. You can get the full report at http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/investors/financial-information

GoofGoof

Premium Member
image-2.jpg

Everything you need is on the financial statements... There is just a lot to sift through. You can get the full report at http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/investors/financial-information

OK. I've seen this. How does that table equate to flat per guest spending at WDW? Since they lump all domestic P&R together and it shows an 8% total increase in per guest spending year over year. The guest spending includes tickets, hotel rooms, food and merchandise. No way to back into just WDW numbers from this.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
OK. I've seen this. How does that table equate to flat per guest spending at WDW? Since they lump all domestic P&R together and it shows an 8% total increase in per guest spending year over year. The guest spending includes tickets, hotel rooms, food and merchandise. No way to back into just WDW numbers from this.

I'll look a bit deeper for you but it's unlikely they would break it down that far publicly since they don't have to. The only reason they would show it is if it were outstandingly good and they wanted to highlight it. It should be noted that in the reports I snapshot there is mention of the increase coming from increased prices. Nonetheless let me go look around, it's likely that this is non existent to the public but very very vital and existent within the company.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom