Frontierland makeover

WDW1974

Your welcome. I, like you, am surprised at the traction this project has gotten considering the dismal state of so many other areas on property. This has been in the works since before the New Fantasyland.

Right now the ride is being described as an E-ticket but that may not last considering WDWs recent past. Looking at every other project on the books right now they are all going through some disappointing cutbacks. I don't know if the ride is tied in with a franchise.

Iger's edict has been any new attractions must be tied to franchises/characters/toons/IP.
That's another reason why I can't buy this (well, that and I need money to spend on Black Frida... wait, I missed that ... nevermind).

articos

Yeah, but think of the uber kewl fanboi rumor we could start here if we wished?

On the subject at hand, and I've been busy with work and the holiday and haven't had time to read it all, I can only state that I know of no serious major project coming to MK. I trust the OP's sources, so I believe either there's something in the very early stages that may be getting played up by folks with agendas who wish to see it happen OR Disney is trying to plug some holes in their leaky ship.

I don't believe the one project that's been tossed about for Frontierland (basically destroying TSI for an off the shelf soaker ride) has ever had any serious traction either. The whole concept is sorta like condoms and ketchup, they don't go together even if you can buy them both in bulk at Costco!
I will just say the speculation here may be exceeding the reality.:)

SirLink

There's a lot of that going around these days. ... I'd say it was all the coffee, but I've learned here that most fanbois are afraid to drink the stuff ... and they aren't even from Utah!

Most could say they are desperate that Iger, JR and Staggs will soon be out - and even then WDW will still not be getting magically better with the hive mind at TDO.

WDW1974

Most could say they are desperate that Iger, JR and Staggs will soon be out - and even then WDW will still not be getting magically better with the hive mind at TDO.

I worry. I am hearing conflicting info on Iger's departure ETA.
He wants in on the political arena, but it's not clear what office he seeks and what year he's looking to run. And while some on the BoD wouldn't mind if he was gone tomorrow (although they all seem happy about the LucasFilm deal, they were NOT as happy -- and some still aren't -- about Marvel), there's a strong rumor floating that Iger will go nowhere until he gets to open SDL and sort of show up his old boss (who never thought much of him) by showing that it was Bob's genius that got in the mainland of China and opened the huge market.

Of course, as an Eisner apologist, I'll simply state that if Michael hadn't of brokered the deal with Beijing and the HK SAR for HKDL, there would be no SDL for Iger to get his name on a plaque for (and, yes, sources tell me he REALLY wants that!)

SirLink

He wants in on the political arena, but it's not clear what office he seeks and what year he's looking to run. And while some on the BoD wouldn't mind if he was gone tomorrow (although they all seem happy about the LucasFilm deal, they were NOT as happy -- and some still aren't -- about Marvel), there's a strong rumor floating that Iger will go nowhere until he gets to open SDL and sort of show up his old boss (who never thought much of him) by showing that it was Bob's genius that got in the mainland of China and opened the huge market.

Of course, as an Eisner apologist, I'll simply state that if Michael hadn't of brokered the deal with Beijing and the HK SAR for HKDL, there would be no SDL for Iger to get his name on a plaque for (and, yes, sources tell me he REALLY wants that!)

So 2016 now! Oh god - there is no one who is in a position in TDO, even with the reshuffles that will (hopefully) come soon, that care - or in a position that could care. It seams the same with TWDC overall as well. Maybe I should take a weekend to DLP to see the new Christmas parade?

WDW1974

So 2016 now! Oh god - there is no one who is in a position in TDO, even with the reshuffles that will (hopefully) come soon, that care - or in a position that could care. It seams the same with TWDC overall as well. Maybe I should take a weekend to DLP to see the new Christmas parade?

Actually, I've seen internal docs that says SDL will open in 2015. How? I have no clue, but I have witnessed the wonders of Chinese construction firsthand and they can put up cities overnight. Just don't lean to heavily against a wall, wouldn't want to bring the building down.

I'd go to DLP if I could. My AP is burning a hole in my pocket. And despite having one for something like five of the last seven years, I have NEVER been at the holidays. I did hear the parade is nice, but very short ... think like a 5-float calvacade more than an actual parade. But you are close, UK right?

SirLink

Actually, I've seen internal docs that says SDL will open in 2015. How? I have no clue, but I have witnessed the wonders of Chinese construction firsthand and they can put up cities overnight. Just don't lean to heavily against a wall, wouldn't want to bring the building down.

I'd go to DLP if I could. My AP is burning a hole in my pocket. And despite having one for something like five of the last seven years, I have NEVER been at the holidays. I did hear the parade is nice, but very short ... think like a 5-float calvacade more than an actual parade. But you are close, UK right?

Yep I'm in the UK

articos

Yep, 2015 on Shanghai. And yes, that will 99.999% happen. No pesky regulation or building code. (Kidding, kinda.) Iger's almost certainly staying at least another 2 years, likely 3 or 4 minimum. He does have political ambitions, but that could also take the shape of other influential positions between public/private sectors, and I think he likes the position he's put the company in and wants to enjoy the spoils for a bit. Really, I don't think he's all that bad for the parks. He's a pretty big proponent of the parks, actually, if someone below shows him what needs to be done and why. The bigger problem is getting the lower echelons to stick their necks out. JL insisted on Carsland, and Bob backed him, even when it overran. The larger problem is TDO and the Parks corp suite, along with the politics at Flower.

WDW won't ever get magically better. It may get systemically better if the individual Parks VPs start to care more, some sort of balance is brought back to the thinking of show quality vs. guest counts, maintenance budgets are ticked up, and TDO has a sea change in thought from the top down. Doable? Absolutely. Probable? Let's wait and see. ;)

SirLink

Yep, 2015 on Shanghai. And yes, that will 99.999% happen. No pesky regulation or building code. (Kidding, kinda.) Iger's almost certainly staying at least another 2 years, likely 3 or 4 minimum. He does have political ambitions, but that could also take the shape of other influential positions between public/private sectors, and I think he likes the position he's put the company in and wants to enjoy the spoils for a bit. Really, I don't think he's all that bad for the parks. He's a pretty big proponent of the parks, actually, if someone below shows him what needs to be done and why. The bigger problem is getting the lower echelons to stick their necks out. JL insisted on Carsland, and Bob backed him, even when it overran. The larger problem is TDO and the Parks corp suite, along with the politics at Flower.

WDW won't ever get magically better. It may get systemically better if the individual Parks VPs start to care more, some sort of balance is brought back to the thinking of show quality vs. guest counts, maintenance budgets are ticked up, and TDO has a sea change in thought from the top down. Doable? Absolutely. Probable? Let's wait and see. ;)

See Iger has been shown whats needed to be done, that is why he tried to sell off depending on who you speak to just WDW or the entire P&R division. Could he of issued a no bonus stipulation until WDW Parks grow by double digits? Yes! Could he of spoken out about these value engineered attractions? Yes!

Sorry but Iger cares little about the parks. I had hoped that the board, based on Ike and JL dislike for the man, may of seen him packing his bags now - but even I can see the LucasFilm probably kept the board happy.

Yeah I never expect to see magically better, but I expect when clearly - a blind man can hear the tales of Splash, Disco Yeti or stink of disease in Imagination - that one sacks those responsible for letting things rot away, like Meg and her misfits.

Is there anyone currently in TDO(executive of management level) that would care about SQ again, I have my doubts.

articos

See Iger has been shown whats needed to be done, that is why he tried to sell off depending on who you speak to just WDW or the entire P&R division. Could he of issued a no bonus stipulation until WDW Parks grow by double digits? Yes! Could he of spoken out about these value engineered attractions? Yes!

Sorry but Iger cares little about the parks. I had hoped that the board, based on Ike and JL dislike for the man, may of seen him packing his bags now - but even I can see the LucasFilm probably kept the board happy.

Yeah I never expect to see magically better, but I expect when clearly - a blind man can hear the tales of Splash, Disco Yeti or stink of disease in Imagination - that one sacks those responsible for letting things rot away, like Meg and her misfits.

Is there anyone currently in TDO(executive of management level) that would care about SQ again, I have my doubts.
Bob cares about what makes revenue for the company. He doesn't care about the parks the way fans do, but he does actually care about the division. P&R makes a significant contribution to the company as a whole, and it's a well known entity with a legend behind it. There was never a serious effort to sell off Parks&Resorts, nor WDW, in the way that the rumors tried to spin. There was never a danger of WDW or DL ever leaving the control of TWDC. RE: Splash, Disco Yeti or Imagination - none of them are impacting actual guest numbers or satisfaction in a meaningful way, unfortunately. That's what matters.

SirLink

Bob cares about what makes revenue for the company. He doesn't care about the parks the way fans do, but he does actually care about the division. P&R makes a significant contribution to the company as a whole, and it's a well known entity with a legend behind it. There was never a serious effort to sell off Parks&Resorts, nor WDW, in the way that the rumors tried to spin. There was never a danger of WDW or DL ever leaving the conrol of TWDC. RE: Splash, Disco Yeti or Imagination - none of them are impacting actual guest numbers or satisfaction in a meaningful way, unfortunately. That's what matters.

Yes clearly he cares, especially when they had plans for the WDW parks in retaliation to Potter. Oh look at what we got - only 1.5 of them, oh well Uncle Iger must surely care about the division. :rolleyes:

Even though occupancy rates are down, spending is down - they still 'value engineer' attractions, like I said clearly he cares - and the buck stops with him. TDO needs a corporate culling top to bottom!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So how many projects currently for WDW have gone under the 'value engineered' knife? Or rather how many projects are being looked into for WDW?
Value Engineered? Just look at Space Mountain. That project wasn't engineered, it was destroyed.

As for others... 15 for 4 parks that I know of. But I dare say not many will make it past blue sky. And then how many past that?

SirLink

Value Engineered? Just look at Space Mountain. That project wasn't engineered, it was destroyed.

As for others... 15 for 4 parks that I know of. But I dare say not many will make it past blue sky. And then how many past that?

I meant projects that are in the works, sorry about the wording on that Martin :oops:.

I don't know if I'm on fumes from working long hours, I knew that if the SM project had gone ahead as planned it would of been the best indoor coaster in the world, I don't know if that was hyperbole or they were being serious I cannot tell anymore.

But 15 you say? God why won't TDO get it, why doesn't Staggs get it? why doesn't the BoD get it? Gotta love Comcast even more.

Gregoryp73

The possibility of a Frontierland expansion is exciting. Whatever happens, though, I hope they don't permanently dock the Liberty Belle for it. (That's a rumor I have seen mentioned, not saying it's going to happen or even likely to happen.) We need more activity (and more boats) on the Rivers of America, not less.

The only way I would be down for them taking away an attraction is if they replaced it with something better ...as in they added a boat ride to ROA...I could see a FrL "pirates" boat ride type attraction on the ROA if they could somehow incorporate it into a WRE type of dark ride. Almost like a Jungle Cruise/Pirates Hybrid. They have plenty of space to put a show building past the tracks...but boy talk about personal blue sky. Heck, they could even use the Belle as a queue entrance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom