Frontierland makeover

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why does every good thread about an interesting rumor have to lead to a battle between non-realated stuff like money? We should just be happy about the magic kingdom possibly getting a new ride!

This is what I was saying a few pages back. Not every new attraction proposed at WDW is or has to be a knee jerk reaction to Universal's success. I know there is a very popular opinion that the only thing that will get TWDC to invest in WDW is significant losses to Universal, but it is possible for them to add things as part of their own growth plan. I am sure Disney notices the success of Universal and specifically Potter and it does factor into their planning, but sometimes on here you get the feeling that all Disney does is plan on ways to counter Potter.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
This is what I was saying a few pages back. Not every new attraction proposed at WDW is or has to be a knee jerk reaction to Universal's success. I know there is a very popular opinion that the only thing that will get TWDC to invest in WDW is significant losses to Universal, but it is possible for them to add things as part of their own growth plan. I am sure Disney notices the success of Universal and specifically Potter and it does factor into their planning, but sometimes on here you get the feeling that all Disney does is plan on ways to counter Potter.

I do not think they will rush into panic mode and invest but rather investigate the future of WDW. They will likely look at ways to slowly build up into standards again. Uni is doing well but it isn't enough to cause WDW to receive huge and abnormal cash dumps.

Oh an to bring us back on topic... I much rather see Tomorrowland and Epcot get refurbs. Although, I'll take this refurb if it brings something truly worthwhile.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Oh an to bring us back on topic... I much rather see Tomorrowland and Epcot get refurbs. Although, I'll take this refurb if it brings something truly worthwhile.

Me too. I thought tomorrowland would be next to get some love at MK and it would probably be addition by replacement as opposed to expansion. This rumor is a pleasant little surprise which if it happens would be a welcome addition IMO. Poor EPCOT. I hope they at least fix up Imagination.

Disneyfanman

Polls aren't needed.

DME ridership is indeed down.
Disney hotel bookings are down.
The number of days people are buying MYW passes for is down by approximately one day on average.
Guest spending at Disney is down.

Attendance and guest spending is up at Universal.

It is a slight, yet very noticeable (especially in the TDO building) shift.

Nicely said, Lee. Nothing other than a trend like this continuing will light a fire. TDO has been spreadsheet manging for awhile now, and has been deeply entrenched in the "cut cost" cycle of building ROI. I get it, and this business cycle in a public company must typically be endured for awhile until pain creates pressure for change. They need a clear business case to convince shareholders (the big ones) that capital needs to be spent on what many consider to be a mature business in Orlando.

What I hope happens (no guarantees) is that we will see two things occur at the same time. First, most obviously, an investment in large scale attractions that promise to change some of these traffic and spending trends. The second, which is much less certain, is a reinvestment in upkeep. Here's hoping for both.

Splash and Thunder aren't going anywhere.

Thinkin' you are pretty much 100% correct. They just did a remodel and retheme to BTM, and I think if they do anything to Splash, it would be a repaint/&remodel. I am pretty excited by the idea of a change to Frontierland. That is a bit of rumor that I hope is acted upon and has that grain of truth.

articos

Thinkin' you are pretty much 100% correct. They just did a remodel and retheme to BTM, and I think if they do anything to Splash, it would be a repaint/&remodel. I am pretty excited by the idea of a change to Frontierland. That is a bit of rumor that I hope is acted upon and has that grain of truth.
Rest assured, neither Mountain is going anywhere in the foreseeable future.

lazyboy97o

The reason it's given such a context is because Disney no longer operates a theme park resort in Florida. They operate a real estate development with theme parks.

IWant2GoNow

I believe I've brought this up before but this major project is looking more likely. Expect a major new attraction as part of the makeover that will be much like WRE with a twist. That's where things stand now and the plan is to begin construction after Snow White ride opens next year.

Thanks again for supplying the info that you can with us. Makes this forum more exciting when we have a reliable source throw a rumor out.

I'm surprised they are looking at FrL for expansion next & I couldn't be happier that it seems they are using WRE as inspiration. I know you said "major" but I can't imagine they would place another E-ticket caliber ride in FrL so I would think it would be more of a family dark ride. D-ticket?

The one major thing I hope for in all of this (& please let me know if you can) is that it is not tied in with a franchise existing or non-existing. I'd love to see another HM or PotC-esque ride born of nothing but the story it conveys within the ride. I know those days are more than likely over but that to me would really tell me something about TDO & the state of WDI. Of TDO it would say we trust WDI enough to create an original story & invest money into a new ride, & if the ride were great, would show me that WDI still has it when given the money to create.

Thanks again, bulb!

Gregoryp73

I think if anything we would see an expansion similar to FLE....One E-ticket, possibly an additional smaller ride...and updated dining, shops and whatnot.

Any rides would most likely be placed outside of the current train track, and/or on TSI...
I still think a fixed dock is in Frontierland's future. Lee has already posted a possible raft ride pic a while back. I would also assume that any expansion/update would see a heavily increased native american presence...as a celebration rather than a cartoonish caricature.

It seems as if disney is doing the "supermarket" route by placing the most sought after product in the back of the store to push traffic back there . You focus traffic to the back, it makes the parks chances of adding additional revenue much greater.

Any addition of immersive theming, or money being spent on attractions and updates...i'm all for.

djlaosc

I think if anything we would see an expansion similar to FLE....One E-ticket, possibly an additional smaller ride...and updated dining, shops and whatnot.

Any rides would most likely be placed outside of the current train track, and/or on TSI...
I still think a fixed dock is in Frontierland's future. Lee has already posted a possible raft ride pic a while back. I would also assume that any expansion/update would see a heavily increased native american presence...as a celebration rather than a cartoonish caricature.

Does anyone have a link to the raft ride pic?

Maybe they would add "Pocahontas Indian Village" from DLP if they go the Native American route - especially if they get rid of Tom Sawyer's Island - they seem to like their playgrounds at the moment...

whylightbulb

Original Poster
Thanks again for supplying the info that you can with us. Makes this forum more exciting when we have a reliable source throw a rumor out.

I'm surprised they are looking at FrL for expansion next & I couldn't be happier that it seems they are using WRE as inspiration. I know you said "major" but I can't imagine they would place another E-ticket caliber ride in FrL so I would think it would be more of a family dark ride. D-ticket?

The one major thing I hope for in all of this (& please let me know if you can) is that it is not tied in with a franchise existing or non-existing. I'd love to see another HM or PotC-esque ride born of nothing but the story it conveys within the ride. I know those days are more than likely over but that to me would really tell me something about TDO & the state of WDI. Of TDO it would say we trust WDI enough to create an original story & invest money into a new ride, & if the ride were great, would show me that WDI still has it when given the money to create.

Thanks again, bulb!
Your welcome. I, like you, am surprised at the traction this project has gotten considering the dismal state of so many other areas on property. This has been in the works since before the New Fantasyland.

Right now the ride is being described as an E-ticket but that may not last considering WDWs recent past. Looking at every other project on the books right now they are all going through some disappointing cutbacks. I don't know if the ride is tied in with a franchise.

whylightbulb

Original Poster

It seems as if disney is doing the "supermarket" route by placing the most sought after product in the back of the store to push traffic back there . You focus traffic to the back, it makes the parks chances of adding additional revenue much greater.

Any addition of immersive theming, or money being spent on attractions and updates...i'm all for.
The plans also call for a similar Fort to the one at Disneyland Paris.

SirLink

Your welcome. I, like you, am surprised at the traction this project has gotten considering the dismal state of so many other areas on property. This has been in the works since before the New Fantasyland.

Right now the ride is being described as an E-ticket but that may not last considering WDWs recent past. Looking at every other project on the books right now they are all going through some disappointing cutbacks. I don't know if the ride is tied in with a franchise.

NOOOOOOOOOO

So are we talking just WDW - or are we talking all current WDI projects including Shanghai?

IWant2GoNow

I'll welcome any & all E-tickets but color me VERY surprised if that ends up happening. We all know what cutbacks make... coffee table Imagineering books.

Thanks for the reply. Look forward to hearing more about this & other things as well.

Taylor

@whylightbulb when you talk about cuts are you saying like there isn't going to be a third ride for cars land or no MI coaster or are you saying that they are going to try to build these projects using cheaper building techniques?

SirLink

@whylightbulb when you talk about cuts are you saying like there isn't going to be a third ride for cars land or no MI coaster or are you saying that they are going to try to build these projects using cheaper building techniques?

I believe he means value engineer, par example:

TDO: "Why do we need 5 animatronics in this scene"
WDI: "To add to the Show"
TDO: "Who cares about Show?"
WDI: "Well there was a guy called Walt..."
TDO: "Who?"

whylightbulb

Original Poster
Yea Like Lee confirmed, I'm talking about value engineering such as cutting show quality by reducing show elements and fabricating what's left with cheaper materials/techniques.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom