Frontierland Expansion Rumor

puntagordabob

Too many recent big ticket ("E") attractions have been thrill rides. While you might argue that the Magic Kingdom could support a fourth thrill ride (and I'm not sure I'd agree), WDW as a whole is in even more desperate need for attractions which appeal to everyone (omnimover/dark rides, etc.).

I agree....enough with the darn coasters MK has BTMR and SM.....

I agree with the above poster however....those would be welcome types of new rides for sure....

Oh! and one last thing.... why is it that Disney cannot create something fresh and original with NO movie tie-ins? Most of the attractions that were designed from scratch with all new characters and material are some of the most beloved now of all time and in the case of some like PoC for example actually spawned some movies!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The profit problem isn't FrL's fault. Higher-level management chose to shut down the Diamond Horseshoe and convert the stores into pin and prepackaged candy shops. They essentially made FrL into two E-ticket thrill rides, a solid AA show, and an extremely popular quick-service restaurant, with no compelling merch shops. TSI is icing on the cake. :D
Oh absolutely. What is crazy is the same people (or more like level of suits) who ripped the heart out of Frland now want it making more profit.

Reminds me of when Eisner decreed that ToT-lite should be built in DCA, then fumed after his first ride that it was too short and wanted to know who made the choice. And funnily enough he did the same with JIYI too.

wizards8507

Is it more relevant than the Song of the South? Because I know of a log flume that seems to be popular.

Right but in that case I'd say the ride has, by far, eclipsed the film itself in terms of cultural impact. I'd venture to guess that about half of the people who ride Splash Mountain aren't even aware that Song of the South exists in the first place. A successful attraction can have just about any if it is executed to the perfection of Splash Mountain. I just don't think that the brand of Indy would be the draw in and of itself that many peopl would expect it to be.

Could be wrong.

BrerFrog

I'm 21 years old. My favorite music group is The Beatles, my favorite TV show is M*A*S*H, and my favorite movie is The Godfather. I'm HUGE for nostalgia but, for some reason, Indiana Jones seems to be one of the "classics" that just doesn't resonate with me and my peers. The same can be said about "Back to the Future."

I think there is a pretty big audience out there for Indy. Even if most kids haven't watched the movie they will certainly recognize the name of the character. And even if they have no idea who he is a good ride could easily change that and draw large crowds, as it is the case with the aforementioned Splash Mountain.

And I also love The Beatles, especially on their Rubber Soul - Let it Be phase. :D

Oh absolutely. What is crazy is the same people (or more like level of suits) who ripped the heart out of Frland now want it making more profit.

Reminds me of when Eisner decreed that ToT-lite should be built in DCA, then fumed after his first ride that it was too short and wanted to know who made the choice. And funnily enough he did the same with JIYI too.

That last part makes me sad.

tirian

Yep, yep. :cool:

tirian

Right but in that case I'd say the ride has, by far, eclipsed the film itself in terms of cultural impact. I'd venture to guess that about half of the people who ride Splash Mountain aren't even aware that Song of the South exists in the first place. A successful attraction can have just about any if it is executed to the perfection of Splash Mountain. I just don't think that the brand of Indy would be the draw in and of itself that many peopl would expect it to be.

Could be wrong.

If they aren't Americans, they probably know about Song of the South, and even American kids should recognize the "B'rer Rabbit" stories from The Complete Tales of Uncle Remus.

_Scar

If they aren't Americans, they probably know about Song of the South, and even American kids should recognize the "B'rer Rabbit" stories from The Complete Tales of Uncle Remus.

As a student (victim) of American education, The Complete Tales of Uncle Remus is not taught whatsoever. One teacher actually showed the Song of the South to our class (she wasn't a very good teacher, she probably had no idea it was "banned")- but nobody watched because we had no idea what it was (plus it was 8th grade).

I still haven't found a good quality version of the film- anyone have a link to one?

RSoxNo1

Too many recent big ticket ("E") attractions have been thrill rides. While you might argue that the Magic Kingdom could support a fourth thrill ride (and I'm not sure I'd agree), WDW as a whole is in even more desperate need for attractions which appeal to everyone (omnimover/dark rides, etc.).

If we're to believe the rumblings about execs saying they want to see an attendance boost in the Magic Kingdom, then they would likely need a thrill ride to accomplish this.

I'm 21 years old. My favorite music group is The Beatles, my favorite TV show is M*A*S*H, and my favorite movie is The Godfather. I'm HUGE for nostalgia but, for some reason, Indiana Jones seems to be one of the "classics" that just doesn't resonate with me and my peers. The same can be said about "Back to the Future."

Blasphemy. In all seriousness though, I'm with you on Indy - but it doesn't mean it can't make a good attraction.

Is it more relevant than the Song of the South? Because I know of a log flume that seems to be popular.

Yes, this is the point I've made on here time and time again. From a quality of attraction standpoint, the overwhelming theme is almost irrelevent. Where the theme comes into play is from a merchandising standpoint. Splash Mountain is a top attraction in the Magic Kingdom, but I would expect that very little merchandise is sold as a result of that ride.

GenerationX

The Riverboat and ROA is a huge portion of WHAT makes Frontierland what it is! Basing something as expendable simply because of a people count is not a good idea on many levels.
I think the original point that was being made was that the Liberty Belle riverboat is not worth the space it takes. If its capacity is not that high and it's not very popular, great theming or not, it's a candidate for replacement. While the theming is wonderful, the ride itself is dullsville. I'm not going to advocate filling in the river, because I like TSI as an island. It adds to the attraction's mystique. So, I'd keep the Liberty Belle.

CBJ is a Quality show...made from scratch...no movie tie-ins when it was made... using AA's which is something Disney should get back to...TV screens and such are no comparison! Same as our Tropical Serenade was/ Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room is.....

Seems like sometimes so many people today are happier with dumbed down versions of everything......or have no attention span...or if they dont see a movie tie-in they do not like it...
The CBJ defenders. Seriously, the animatronics are good, but the music is fair at best, and the show's entertainment value is minimal. If the show was brand new, people would be decrying it as "dumbed down" entertainment. I'll give you this, the show definitely does require guests with really really really long attention spans, because everyone else is either screaming in boredom or mocking it. As it stands today, the show survives on nostalgia, its small footprint, and its low cost to run.

tink@heart

And Liberty Belle also has a great merchandising tie-in from the Princess and the Frog. Princess Tiana has captured a whole new wave of little tiara buyers!

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

Amen on leaders that that change their mind. Happens all the time, in so many businesses, governments, and non-profit organizations. Frustrating as heck, too.

If one wants FrLand to make more profit, the answer almost certainly would lie in a new restaurant or two, and opening up TSI to more guests, or making better use of the Rivers of America.

DLRP has two table service restaruants in Frontierland, one being a character meal, and the other a steakhouse. And of course MK is short table-service in the first place, so this seems logical. And, gee, there is some available space, isn't there? So if they're concerneda about profit, the Horseshoe should reopen as a table service restaurant. Do it with a show the runs all evening...starting at 4:30 or whatever, 20 minute acts coming on every half hour or so. Run 3 acts rotating all night, and you've got a dinner show without the pesky annoyance of required seating times.

The only way to open up TSI to make it more profitable is the combination of some retheming (Pirate is the most logical) and improving access, which means a bridge of some sort. Frankly, I think a drawbridge that goes up when the big boats come by would be the best. Do it over by where the canoe dock is/was, unless the canoes get reopened. Then reopen Aunt Pols and a couple of a drink stands on the island, and put a store in the fort. Of course, the offerings on the island would need to be expanded. Not to reference Paris again, but their version of TSI is easier to get to and has more passages and things to see/do, including a children's play area, which is needed at MK with the loss of Pooh's Playful Spot and the little play are in ToontownFair.

As for using the ROA better, we could bring back the canoes to start with. More time spent in FrLand = more likelihood of food/drink and shop sales. And how about a child's program using the rafts and the island. Like the Pirate-themed trip from Port Orleans, only in the MK. Kid's a chaperoned-special activity that doesn't take them behind the scenes, leaving adults some time to 1) ride Splash and BTM without kids who might be scared/too small, 2) eat lunch, 3) take their own behind the scenes tour.

One more thing to imrpove guest time in FrLand that I'd love to see. Rotate the shows in CBJ. We have three full shows -- Jamboree, Vacation Hoedown, and Xmas. Run all three in a given year, or create a few more, and run 6 different shows for two months each. Might bring some new life to a classic, but underappreciated and underattended attractions.

Of course, none of the above ideas involve significant spending on new attractions, which, of course, I'd like to see. But I honestly don't see it as being necessary in that land.

Oh, and one more thing. If they spend money in FrLand, I really hope they fix the terrible access to the train station.

RSoxNo1

And Liberty Belle also has a great merchandising tie-in from the Princess and the Frog. Princess Tiana has captured a whole new wave of little tiara buyers!

Don't be so sure, a lot of the Tiana merchandise was overbought and may be finding it's way to discount stores soon.

tirian

As a student (victim) of American education, The Complete Tales of Uncle Remus is not taught whatsoever. One teacher actually showed the Song of the South to our class (she wasn't a very good teacher, she probably had no idea it was "banned")- but nobody watched because we had no idea what it was (plus it was 8th grade).

I still haven't found a good quality version of the film- anyone have a link to one?

Sorry, I speak as a private school brat. :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom