From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynnibus

Premium Member

thomas998

Really, why? I just made my ADRs 2 weeks ago, I actually plan them around the marshmallows for at least one night. I don't see anything dangerous about it. It's not a wildfire, it's contained in a large, high, fire pit. Rules and games are discussed/played beforehand.
We did a marshmallow roast one time... Never again. Not concerned with the fire, but the number of kids that were allowed to RUN around and were slinging sticks with no concept of the danger they presented to other people... Nope...Not worth the risk, I'm simply amazed that on the one we were at no one ever poked someone with one of the sticks.

In the future my kids are welcome to roast marshmallow at home in the back yard, in the fireplace, over a grill.... but no way will they do another group deal.... you might have perfectly behaved children, but that doesn't mean the other kids will be or will have parents that even bother to make sure they don't do stupid things.

21stamps

The beach and the activities are important to me, and important in the justification of paying that price for a room there.

This year we are doing CR because it's winter and we won't be utilizing the pool,( but I do have a pirate adventure cruise booked for kiddo, and am planning on renting a boat again)...and mainly because I want everything in one building in case it is cold and have a good view of the fireworks from our room. But the beach and water sports and even something as simple as the campfire helps me justify.

If all of that is taken away then I will have an issue. Can't say for certain that it would make me switch resorts, because myself and my kid love waking up to seeing the castle, but id have to think a little more about it.

Witchy Chick

That's just it... you won't even find the photos!! I challenge you to find a The beach is only seen in flyovers and is never even mentioned by name or as an amenity to enjoy on the property on the main GF site. Disney's own gallery doesn't even show it. You'll struggle to find the most basic references.. finding only things like 'white sand beaches for sunbathing' copy buried in a brochure - yet they won't dedicate the real estate in the page to photos of this thing.. instead chosing the pools, the marina, etc.

By your logic is Disney marketing promoting the break rock as a valued portion of the property since it shares the SAME EXACT PROMINENCE in Disney's marketing on their main website for the resort?

We all know the history of the resort and the past - but you apparently are relying on memory and refuse to review how Disney is presenting the property CURRENTLY. Using photos from the 1990s doesn't support your arguments about what guests should be expecting these days. Your attempt to support your postulation with the walking along the beach photo is a failure.

pirate-adventure-cruises-00.jpg

Granted, that beach may not be GF's beach. Source: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/pirate-adventure-cruises/

I think you're not understanding. There is no literature, photo, or resort activity listed at any of these resorts, that includes walking in the water. It's not promoted- anywhere.

Unless there is a new promotion flyer/photo/activity that came about In the past few months.

Like I said.. I knew "technically" that my kid wasn't probably allowed in the water. I let him do it for a few moments, took some photos, and went back to the pool to swim.

See the Stars, Under the Stars!
Complimentary movie screenings are available to Guests of Walt Disney World Resort hotels.

Whether on the beach, poolside or surrounded by Floridian woodlands, enjoy relaxing evening entertainment that’s fun for the whole family!

For movie schedules, please check with the Front Desk at your Walt Disney World Resort Hotel, or call
(407) 939-2273. Movies and entertainment are subject to cancellation or change without notice.

(emphasis mine)
Source: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/movies-under-the-stars/

Darling one

By all means this event has been terrible. I will admit I have let my children fill their sand pails at the waters edge while playing on the beach. They know that alligators are in the water and to never go further than the toes. But I have to say the video just released of the gator at Tom Sawyer's Island has really taken me by surprise. I shouldn't be surprised but I have let my children explore the island playground etc...and for some reason it never crossed my mind.

majortom1981

Because of one incident? One real incident. The UK one is extremely fishy and sounds exaggerated. Especially since there is not a "pitch black area"

One or two is not the same as "bungalow guests feed the alligators". That's my issue.
There was another one in 1986 It went to trial but looks like disney settled out of court.

21stamps

We did a marshmallow roast one time... Never again. Not concerned with the fire, but the number of kids that were allowed to RUN around and were slinging sticks with no concept of the danger they presented to other people... Nope...Not worth the risk, I'm simply amazed that on the one we were at no one ever poked someone with one of the sticks.

In the future my kids are welcome to roast marshmallow at home in the back yard, in the fireplace, over a grill.... but no way will they do another group deal.... you might have perfectly behaved children, but that doesn't mean the other kids will be or will have parents that even bother to make sure they don't do stupid things.
Wow. That's crazy. I'm glad we didn't have that experience, I would have been furious! The cast members explained to the kids what they could could not do..and were right there with them. Yes, my kid likes to catch them on fire at home or away.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 65

21stamps

thomas998

Wow. That's crazy. I'm glad we didn't have that experience, I would have been furious! The cast members explained to the kids what they could could not do..and were right there with them. Yes, my kid likes to catch them on fire at home or away.
I think it is just a question of what castmembers you have running things and whether they care or not.... Once in a while you get some that have probably quit their job already but just keep showing up until their boss realizes it too.

peter11435

Once again.....it was 9pm. Still mostly daylight. And the kid was a foot from the waters edge in about 3" of water. He was not in a foot of water which would have put him over 6' out into the water.
9pm is not mostly daylight. It is dark enough at 9pm that they can successfully run Fantasmic, Illuminations, and the Main Street Electrical Parade.

21stamps

At this point the only practical solution is to remove all the alligators and have enforcement of not feeding the wildlife.
That's practical? Please explain.

Do you cut off the legs of every alligator in central Florida to prohibit them from walking to a WDW lake?

FrankLapidus

I don't doubt that there has been guests who have feed alligators, it's always been a problem in Florida- hence the law against it.
But I have a lot of skepticism towards this article. Who was seeing the guests feed them? Unless you are standing staring at the end bungalows, or on water craft right in front, you don't have a plain view of the balcony's. So if one or two people reported one family/guests who may have thrown food to one, I don't think that is an indication of "The Bungalow Guests all feed the alligators!!!"

The article cites "park staff" so Cast Members.

I'd imagine CM's that work on the boats on that lagoon, whether on the ones that transport guests back and forth from the resorts to the Magic Kingdom or the lifeguards that patrol the water, would have a good view of the water-side of the bungalows and could have seen something if guests are throwing food from there into the lagoon.

It's for Disney to determine either way, I don't know if warnings or concerns raised by CM's about guests feeding the animals have been ignored but if that does indeed prove to have been the case then there are individuals who ultimately will have to pay the price.

Last edited:

Witchy Chick

Not one thing you posted has anything to do with being in the water.

So are you are saying the entire beach is dangerous?

That's a pirate adventure cruise. No I am not cancelling the one for my son out of GF.

You all were debating whether "the beach" is an amenity or not. The Pirate Cruise picture of kids on a beach, and the wording Parentsof4 posted speaks to that. The Movies Under the Stars with movies shown on a beach speaks to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom