From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

s8film40

That's just it... you won't even find the photos!! I challenge you to find a The beach is only seen in flyovers and is never even mentioned by name or as an amenity to enjoy on the property on the main GF site. Disney's own gallery doesn't even show it. You'll struggle to find the most basic references.. finding only things like 'white sand beaches for sunbathing' copy buried in a brochure - yet they won't dedicate the real estate in the page to photos of this thing.. instead chosing the pools, the marina, etc.

By your logic is Disney marketing promoting the break rock as a valued portion of the property since it shares the SAME EXACT PROMINENCE in Disney's marketing on their main website for the resort?

We all know the history of the resort and the past - but you apparently are relying on memory and refuse to review how Disney is presenting the property CURRENTLY. Using photos from the 1990s doesn't support your arguments about what guests should be expecting these days. Your attempt to support your postulation with the walking along the beach photo is a failure.
2 of the 6 photos currently in use on Disney's website show the beach. The flyover video even goes so far as to make the beach look whiter and more inviting. Your going to see this the way you want to see it, I don't think I can really help you understand it, sorry. I don't think your wrong I just don't think your seeing it from a marketing perspective. Arguing the finite details of advertising is just silly at this point. If you don't think the beach is a vital part of the resort than that's okay, there are however many people who do see it that way and that's the real point. It's all about the perception.

21stamps

It'a apparent you just don't get marketing. I work in this field so I understand what they're trying to do with these photos. A photo is not a list of what you can and cannot do. A photo is not a list of what amenities are present. A photos is intended to show the resort in the best light and illustrate the lifestyle you can experience at the resort. These are beach resorts, they're positioned that way. In fact it was initially called the Grand Floridian Beach resort, until it was changed to avoid confusion with Disney's other beach resorts (which also have the same exact situation with their beaches). People walk along these beaches all the time, there is absolutely no indication that that is not allowed.
I think you're not understanding. There is no literature, photo, or resort activity listed at any of these resorts, that includes walking in the water. It's not promoted- anywhere.

Unless there is a new promotion flyer/photo/activity that came about In the past few months.

Like I said.. I knew "technically" that my kid wasn't probably allowed in the water. I let him do it for a few moments, took some photos, and went back to the pool to swim.

21stamps

2 of the 6 photos currently in use on Disney's website show the beach. The flyover video even goes so far as to make the beach look whiter and more inviting. Your going to see this the way you want to see it, I don't think I can really help you understand it, sorry. I don't think your wrong I just don't think your seeing it from a marketing perspective. Arguing the finite details of advertising is just silly at this point. If you don't think the beach is a vital part of the resort than that's okay, there are however many people who do see it that way and that's the real point. It's all about the perception.
So you're saying people shouldn't be on the beach period then? Is that your point?

gmajew

Premium Member
Just checked into the GF and they are working on putting up a fence around the lake. Looks like it will be a wooden post fence with wore running through.

21stamps

Forgive me if this has already been posted, but...

Rich guests were in charge of Disney’s gator policy
https://nypost.com/2016/06/17/disney-ignored-gator-problem-to-keep-high-end-guests-happy-report/

This echoes what @WDW1974 was saying.

(But of course the Post ties it into the income gap, but yeah.)
I call BS. But that's just my opinion.lol
Just checked into the GF and they are working on putting up a fence around the lake. Looks like it will be a wooden post fence with wore running through.
Seriously? Wow, I'm shocked. Do you know where I can find info on line about what it will look like?

FrankLapidus

Forgive me if this has already been posted, but...

Rich guests were in charge of Disney’s gator policy
https://nypost.com/2016/06/17/disney-ignored-gator-problem-to-keep-high-end-guests-happy-report/

This echoes what @WDW1974 was saying.

(But of course the Post ties it into the income gap, but yeah.)

I'd imagine this will be investigated and, if it is determined that higher-ups ignored warnings about guests feeding alligators from the bungalows, heads should and will roll.

I am sceptical about the lawyer from San Diego's story though.

montyz81

Is it?

Gators never used to hang out over on that side of the lagoon until now.

If it's a freak accident then that's one thing. If we have constant reports of guests feeding alligators by the bungalows, then that's a problem. If management is aware of this and they've done nothing? It's no longer a freak accident.

A lot of Ifs.
If Disney didn't by a land in the middle of a swamp then we wouldn't have this problem. Yes there are a great deal of "ifs" but at the end of the day, Disney can't be expected to keep every alligator off 26 square miles of property. If they are expected to do that then they will need more wranglers to get rid of them. That will cost a great deal of money which will undoubtedly be recovered through ticket sales. Most of the people complaining about this problem will then complain that ticket prices are too high.

These are wild animals that are very difficult to contain. Just keep that in mind!

Disney Analyst

Just as I thought would happen. Was hoping they'd shut down longer and a build a nicer solution.

21stamps

I'd imagine this will be investigated and, if it is determined that higher-ups ignored warnings about guests feeding alligators from the bungalows, heads should and will roll.

I am sceptical about the lawyer from San Diego's story though.
I don't doubt that there has been guests who have feed alligators, it's always been a problem in Florida- hence the law against it.
But I have a lot of skepticism towards this article. Who was seeing the guests feed them? Unless you are standing staring at the end bungalows, or on water craft right in front, you don't have a plain view of the balcony's. So if one or two people reported one family/guests who may have thrown food to one, I don't think that is an indication of "The Bungalow Guests all feed the alligators!!!"

PhotoDave219

If Disney didn't by a land in the middle of a swamp then we wouldn't have this problem. Yes there are a great deal of "ifs" but at the end of the day, Disney can't be expected to keep every alligator off 26 square miles of property. If they are expected to do that then they will need more wranglers to get rid of them. That will cost a great deal of money which will undoubtedly be recovered through ticket sales. Most of the people complaining about this problem will then complain that ticket prices are too high.

These are wild animals that are very difficult to contain. Just keep that in mind!

In 45 years, there was one prior incident. Gators are more aggressive than ever this year over by the Poly/Grand. It's looking more and more like the bungalows have played a factor.

PhotoDave219

I don't doubt that there has been guests who have feed alligators, it's always been a problem in Florida- hence the law against it.
But I have a lot of skepticism towards this article. Who was seeing the guests feed them? Unless you are standing staring at the end bungalows, or on water craft right in front, you don't have a plain view of the balcony's. So if one or two people reported one family/guests who may have thrown food to one, I don't think that is an indication of "The Bungalow Guests all feed the alligators!!!"

You only need one or two.....

21stamps

Can someone direct me to where I can find out about the fence? I'm googling the heck out of it trying to find a photo and have yet to find something...I'm extremely curious

wendysmom

I would sincerely hope that knowing a child died horribly due to an alligator being desensitized to people by being fed would cause the stopping of this feeding to be a no-brainer. That others would call out the offenders. That ousting them from the parks would be a natural consequence. Are people so cold that it will be business as usual with feeding them? Boy, I hope not!

21stamps

In 45 years, there was one prior incident. Gators are more aggressive than ever this year over by the Poly/Grand. It's looking more and more like the bungalows have played a factor.
Because of one incident? One real incident. The UK one is extremely fishy and sounds exaggerated. Especially since there is not a "pitch black area"
You only need one or two.....
One or two is not the same as "bungalow guests feed the alligators". That's my issue.

Disneyhead'71

There's a big difference though between an older kid dipping their toes into the water in broad daylight, and a toddler wading in a foot of water in the middle of the night. I'm sure anyone would be more cautious in that environment, unless they didn't realise there were alligators of course, and that's where signs would come in useful.
Once again.....it was 9pm. Still mostly daylight. And the kid was a foot from the waters edge in about 3" of water. He was not in a foot of water which would have put him over 6' out into the water.

flynnibus

Premium Member
2 of the 6 photos currently in use on Disney's website show the beach

Come on.. link to them.. show them. Let's see the perspective and not just your interpretation... because when I click through the site I see these as the only ones I can think of relating to your '2 of 6' comment.

grand-floridian-resort-and-spa-gallery00.jpg

grand-floridian-resort-and-spa-gallery01.jpg

You're going to argue that's promoting the recreational beaches and the beach as a vital part of the resort?

Forget history and look at what Disney is promoting today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom