From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

You all were debating whether "the beach" is an amenity or not. The Pirate Cruise picture of kids on a beach, and the wording Parentsof4 posted speaks to that. The Movies Under the Stars with movies shown on a beach speaks to that.
I not only said it was an amenity. But it is a direct decision point in justifying the prices, for me personally anyway.

I said that the water is not advertised for people to swim or wade in ... Not on the website not at the resorts and not in commercials.

chiefs11

You all were debating whether "the beach" is an amenity or not. The Pirate Cruise picture of kids on a beach, and the wording Parentsof4 posted speaks to that. The Movies Under the Stars with movies shown on a beach speaks to that.
No..I think their debate was about marketing materials showing people in the water.

chiefs11

At this point the only practical solution is to remove all the alligators and have enforcement of not feeding the wildlife.

That's practical? Please explain.

Do you cut off the legs of every alligator in central Florida to prohibit them from walking to a WDW lake?
You remove the ones currently there as they've become used to people and getting fed.
You stop people from feeding the wildlife so the new alligators that move in don't become conditioned to it.

21stamps

You remove the ones currently there as they've become used to people and getting fed.
You stop people from feeding the wildlife so the new alligators that move in don't become conditioned to it.
I agree that people should suffer consequences if feeding alligators. Unfortunately there are a lot of stupid people in this world who do stupid things and don't always get caught.

As far as I know they do remove a lot of them.

I like your plan much more than building a fence. But while they are trapping another could move in.. So unfortunately it's nearly impossible to catch every single one.

ParentsOf4

So are you guys asking for the beaches water sports and pirate cruises to be closed????
It's unclear to me what fertile imagine you used to twist my post of a screen capture from a Disney World webpage into a demand that the beaches be closed.

My suggestions are posted here:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...seven-seas-lagoon.914483/page-98#post-7271604

Here's another one from Disney's website inviting Guests to "Enjoy the placid waters of Seven Seas Lagoon" (scroll over the photo to see the text):

Grand Flordian2.jpg

The point of these pages from Disney's own website is that Disney is selling the Grand Floridian's beaches and proximity to the lake.

Please read what I actually wrote before inventing wild accusations that I suggested that the beaches should be closed.

Last edited:

21stamps

It's unclear to me what fertile imagine you used to twist my post of a screen capture from a Disney World webpage into a demand that the beaches be closed.

My suggestions are posted here:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...seven-seas-lagoon.914483/page-98#post-7271604

Here's another one from Disney's website inviting Guests to "Enjoy the placid waters of Seven Seas Lagoon" (scroll over the photo to see the text):

View attachment 146543

The point of these pages from Disney's own website is that a Disney is selling the Grand Floridian's beaches and proximity to the lake.

Please read what I actually wrote before inventing wild accusations that I suggested that the beaches should be closed.
I'm reading and I still don't understand what you are saying.

Not ONE thing you have said or photo you have posted has anything to do with being in the water itself.

PhotoDave219

I agree that people should suffer consequences if feeding alligators. Unfortunately there are a lot of stupid people in this world who do stupid things and don't always get caught.

As far as I know they do remove a lot of them.

I like your plan much more than building a fence. But while they are trapping another could move in.. So unfortunately it's nearly impossible to catch every single one.

Notice I said remove, not destroy.

SOP is usually to catch and release elsewhere. Or has been in the past.

EngineJoe

a kid petting an armadillo is about as likely as a kid petting a wild rabbit... The kid might want to pet it but unless it was road kill the kid wont be able to catch it, they are afraid of people and would run away.
its unlikely but then so is getting eaten by an Aligator. In fact just in the stAte of Florida in 2015, 15 people contracted leporosy from Armadillos whereas in the entire United States over the last 40 years only 28 people have been killed by allgiators.

21stamps

Notice I said remove, not destroy.

SOP is usually to catch and release elsewhere. Or has been in the past.
Disney does this already. That's what I'm saying.

Do the people who think a body of water equals an alligator attack also walk around everyday thinking they will win the lottery?

chiefs11

Just checked into the GF and they are working on putting up a fence around the lake. Looks like it will be a wooden post fence with wore running through.
Any update on this @gmajew ? Any way you can drop a photo in here ?
Arriving at the GF on Monday and curious what it's gonna look like.

EngineJoe

Disney had even been warned about this problem, by a lawyer, last year when another child was threatened by a gator at Coronado Springs. Several cm's have come forward to say they asked for a fence around the resort part of the lagoon. Gators have gone from an endangered species to now being more than one and a half million in Florida alone. They live for up to 50 years and lay 20 or more eggs at a time.
Fences don't stop gators. It's amazing how ignorant people are about gators.

majortom1981

There looks to be older marketing materials floating around for the grand floridian with people in bathing suits walking in the water infront of the resort. I see a couple of travel agents using the picture but I do not see it on the disney website. I am not sure if travel agents have access to different pictures then we do.

bhg469

is it a possibility for the beaches to lead to a narrow dock? I mean if they have a small barrier that doesn't look terrible, then people will be discouraged from entering the water.

chiefs11

Disney does this already. That's what I'm saying.
Yes they do, but the not-letting-guests-feed-the-wildlife part is just as important. They really need to enforce that. And I don't think they currently remove all the gators, just the larger or aggressive ones.
Do the people who think a body of water equals an alligator attack also walk around everyday thinking they will win the lottery?
lol Probably!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The hard part is stopping people from doing it. They need to get over the whole "customer is always right" mentality and empower cast members to come down hard on these people. Before this incident if a front line CM reprimanded a guest for feeding animals and that guest complained what do you think would have happened to the CM? They need over communicate the risks of feeding wild animals and the rules against it and then diligently enforce the rules.

ParentsOf4

I'm reading and I still don't understand what you are saying.

Not ONE thing you have said or photo you have posted has anything to do with being in the water itself.
And not one thing I wrote even remotely suggested, as you wrote when quoting my post:
So are you guys asking for the beaches water sports and pirate cruises to be closed????
You are the one attempting to put words in my mouth. I politely ask you to stop.

As I linked to before, and link to once again because you clearly did not read it the first time I provided the link:

All of my suggestions are practical and have nothing to do with closing "the beaches, water sports, and pirate cruises."

I look forward to reading your apology for accusing me of something I did not write.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom