FoTLK To Close in January?

Taylor

I can agree as well. Festival of the Lion King, Beauty and the Beast: Live on Stage, and Voyage of the Little Mermaid are all "meh" to me. They aren't attractions that I need to do or see every trip, they're more like something I'd want to see every five+ years or so, if that. I do remember liking The Hunchback of Notre Dame stage show a long time ago, but that just might be nostalgia making it seem better than what it actually was.

I'd like to disagree about Finding Nemo: The Musical, though. In my opinion, that's leagues ahead of all the other shows at the resort. The puppetry throws a lot of people off, but I've never minded and I've come to appreciate it. It may also help that I'm a fan of Robert and Kristen Anderson-Lopez, who composed the music for Avenue Q (which coincidentally is another musical involving puppetry), which I also like.

If Disney could make shows that are on the same level or higher as Finding Nemo: The Musical, I'd be a real happy camper. They should give BatB a face lift and make it longer and more similar to its Broadway counterpart. That I would definitely love to see. The same goes for VotLM and FotLK, but that's just wishful thinking on my part.
I think if any Broadway level stage shows like lion king ever go to WDW it should go in Downtown Disney based off the apparent success of there Cirque de Solei show. It would also be a way to make DD more lively

Thrill Seeker

Hang on a second, while I go blue sky.

First. I can't really see FOtLK being moved into Theater in the Wild (Nemo theater). The stage layout and seating would require a total re-work of the show, or a re-build of the building, plus that means that both shows would likely be closed at the same time. I just don't see them doing that.

So, what if they re-configured and expanded the Flights of Wonder theater and then move FOtLK into this new venue? Closing that show to make room for Lion King would have a small impact on overall park capacity and they could keep the Lion King show open during all but the final phase of construction. Plus, that theater is in a prime location, between Asia and Africa.

Although, if they were crazy, and decided they were really going to use Theater in the Wild for LK, they could move Nemo to DHS in either the Mermaid show building, or the Beauty and the Beast theater. This seems like a good fit for that park.

At any rate, I don't see either of these shows being retired in the near future. They're both still really popular.

Nemo would be an interesting replacement for Mermaid, except that theater is considerably smaller than Theater in the Wild...

Redsky89

That'd make more sense if the show was moved more towards the Africa part of the park. It was over there in the opposite corner of the universe which I never understood.

mickey2008.1

Would Camp Minnie Mickey move to Africa as well, or just FotLK? I really like that area and characters, as they make for great photos. It's just a relaxing area.

NoChesterHester

Would Camp Minnie Mickey move to Africa as well, or just FotLK? I really like that area and characters, as they make for great photos. It's just a relaxing area.

The camp is going the way of the Dodo Bird.

The characters will be relocated to other areas of the park.

There are lots of lovely areas in the AK for relaxation. There are several spots along the Duscover Island trails and a great little trail by Africa on the way from Asia that is secluded with hardly ever a sole there. I love relaxing when it isnt insanely hot, which at that park is a rarity.

mickey2008.1

AK is one of those parks where you really have to look for for the trails and side areas, and I have yet to do that. We couldnt find FotLK for the first two trips. It's one of the best parks for walking and taking in the scenery.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That'd make more sense if the show was moved more towards the Africa part of the park. It was over there in the opposite corner of the universe which I never understood.
Camp MM, and the show in general, were a panic idea when Beastly got pulled and it was realised the park wouldn't exactly be a full day one for a few years.

They were basically rushed in onto the Beastly plot in an attempt to add something, anything, to the park.

Can we go yet?

As long as they are not closing Festival or Nemo, I'm fine with Pandora actually. It just seems really stupid to close it so early before the new theater is ready.

menamechris

That show costs bundles of cash to produce. A company that looks at cutting Fantasmic because of the numbers of live actors... how could they stomache a live broadway style show at DTD???

This exactly. I hear the suggestion of Disney running their Broadways shows at WDW every couple months. It just is not practical. I have heard Mary Poppins costs $1 Million a week to put on. A million dollars. And with even Cirque running almost year-round 25% to 35% off tickets....it would be an impractical move for Disney.

Doctor Seeker

Nemo would be an interesting replacement for Mermaid, except that theater is considerably smaller than Theater in the Wild...

I hadn't thought of this, but I really like this idea. They could fit the Nemo Show into Pixar Place and supplement TSMM. I enjoy the show, but have always felt it was out of place.

AndyMagic

This exactly. I hear the suggestion of Disney running their Broadways shows at WDW every couple months. It just is not practical. I have heard Mary Poppins costs $1 Million a week to put on. A million dollars. And with even Cirque running almost year-round 25% to 35% off tickets....it would be an impractical move for Disney.

Indeed. While it would be nice to have a true translation of one of the Broadway shows, money is the issue. Year-round Broadway productions only work in New York City and London. Thousands of tourists and locals have to be willing and able to spend $150 a seat. Many of these productions can and do go "touring" to various big cities for a few weeks but even then, the effects and cast are typically not up to the caliber of the original show. This doesn't even bring up the fact that half the charm and allure of seeing a show on Broadway is sitting in the majestic theatres built at the turn of the century. Stepping foot into the New Amsterdam theatre on 42nd street is a sight to behold. It was built in 1903. They sure don't build em' like they used to.

RSoxNo1

The Festival Of The Lion is a glorified pep rally. No where near the quality of the NEMO theater show at Animal Kingdom.

It is nice and fun. Of course worth seeing and it would be missed. I am surprised a new theater is not built before they shut down the exiting show.
The last time I saw FOTLK the theater was open air. I think it is fine, but not compelling enough to see it twice in ten years.

Nemo is way more entertaining for me.
Lion King has so much more going for it than Nemo. Nemo is a relatively standard production done very well. It's fault is how unrecognizable the music is. Festival of the Lion King incorporates a variety of different types of performances in conjunction with the great music from the movie. It doesn't tell a story int he same way that Nemo does, but in my opinion it's a far superior show.

djlaosc

Nemo isn't swimming away and FOTLK is simply moving somewhere else. The characters are moving to Beastly Bazaar.

Take a ride on that train while you still can (unless plans change again).

Is FOLTK going...
  • where the Harambe train station is?
  • where the train tracks are?
  • into Rafiki's Planet Watch?
  • replacing Rafiki's Planet Watch?
  • in the cleared area behind Kali River Rapids with access where the Harambe train station is will be something to visit on a walk up to Rafiki's Planet Watch?
Could one of these guesses be correct?

RSoxNo1

Is FOLTK going...
  • where the Harambe train station is?
  • where the train tracks are?
  • into Rafiki's Planet Watch?
  • replacing Rafiki's Planet Watch?
  • in the cleared area behind Kali River Rapids with access where the Harambe train station is will be something to visit on a walk up to Rafiki's Planet Watch?
Could one of these guesses be correct?
It's widely believed that it's going behind the Tusker House and the Wild Africa Trek starting point. I believe raven told us a while ago that this was the case and that there would be an additional bridge from Discovery Island that would lead directly to Festival of the Lion King

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom