FoTLK To Close in January?

GrumpyFan

Lion King has so much more going for it than Nemo. Nemo is a relatively standard production done very well. It's fault is how unrecognizable the music is. Festival of the Lion King incorporates a variety of different types of performances in conjunction with the great music from the movie. It doesn't tell a story int he same way that Nemo does, but in my opinion it's a far superior show.

Superior, and far more enjoyable too. The small setting in the round and interaction with the guests makes it a lot more initmate and fun too!

NoChesterHester

Nemo isn't swimming away and FOTLK is simply moving somewhere else. The characters are moving to Beastly Bazaar.

Take a ride on that train while you still can (unless plans change again).

Festival to the Wilderness Express area? Really? I was under the impression FOTLK was going in behind Tusker House in the vicinity of where Wild Africa Trek meets???

Or is something else going there?

djlaosc

It's widely believed that it's going behind the Tusker House and the Wild Africa Trek starting point. I believe raven told us a while ago that this was the case and that there would be an additional bridge from Discovery Island that would lead directly to Festival of the Lion King

That's what I thought as well (as you said, it's what has been said on here - yes, I think it was raven), but if that's the case, then why would we have to get a last ride on the train? As far as I can tell (if we're talking about the area I think we are - I may be mistaken), the train goes nowhere near there!

Or is the train going away for something completely different happening at a similar time?

NoChesterHester

Lion King has so much more going for it than Nemo. Nemo is a relatively standard production done very well. It's fault is how unrecognizable the music is. Festival of the Lion King incorporates a variety of different types of performances in conjunction with the great music from the movie. It doesn't tell a story int he same way that Nemo does, but in my opinion it's a far superior show.

You have a point, I just don't care for the show. Different strokes...

NoChesterHester

That's what I thought as well (as you said, it's what has been said on here - yes, I think it was raven), but if that's the case, then why would we have to get a last ride on the train? The train goes nowhere near there!

Or is the train going away for something completely different happening at a similar time?

Wasn't it also Raven that stated that AK is to get a "lot of love in the coming years?"

NoChesterHester

I believe so - we can but hope!

Tirian posted yesterday (or so) about a "closed door meeting at AK... Where the windows were blacked out and interesting plans were discussed.". I'm paraphrasing, but it caught my attention.

AK needs the attention for sure. Waiting 4 years for Avatar is going to be rough on that park. Hope that is being recognized.

djlaosc

Tirian posted yesterday (or so) about a "closed door meeting at AK... Where the windows were blacked out and interesting plans were discussed.". I'm paraphrasing, but it caught my attention.

AK needs the attention for sure. Waiting 4 years for Avatar is going to be rough on that park. Hope that is being recognized.

And that is if Avatar is going to be done in 4 years (and not delayed further)

There is seriously so much that they could do at DAK...
  • Add to Africa/Asia (for example, Giant Pandas)
  • Antarctica
  • Arctic
  • Australasia
  • Europe
  • Mythological Creatures
  • North America
  • Prehistoric Life (Mammoths, Sabre Tooth Tigers, other Dinosaurs)
  • South America
  • The Seas/Oceans/Aquatic Life
...they just have to be willing to spend the money to get it done!

texas211

I would think they would want to wait until the new location is almost ready before closing the existing one. Of cource this is a Screamscape rumor, and as much as I like that site, I take everything on there with a very large shaker of salt.

They'd never be that logical.

At least we have Nemo. Our fav WDW show.

Brian Noble

Nemo is a relatively standard production done very well. It's fault is how unrecognizable the music is.

I confess that I personally think Nemo is on par with Aladdin, and better than any of the other domestic shows I've seen. But, it is also true that we bought the soundtrack on iTunes as soon as it was released and listened to it before attending the show for the first time.

FrankLapidus

I confess that I personally think Nemo is on par with Aladdin, and better than any of the other domestic shows I've seen. But, it is also true that we bought the soundtrack on iTunes as soon as it was released and listened to it before attending the show for the first time.

The concept of a musical based on a film that didn't have any songs did throw me when it was first announced. We gave it a try but I didn't think much of Finding Nemo and would have preferred to have seen Tarzan stay. I can remember the old Jungle Book show that used to occupy Theatre in the Wild and that was pretty good, although I never understood why they didn't use the M&G costumes that the JB characters wear rather than paint the performers' faces and have them wear different costumes.

fosse76

I've always wondered why they don't run their Broadway shows somewhere at WDW.
A Broadway show, even as a tour or sit-down production, is extremely expensive to run (the actors alone get paid a minimum of $1600/wk). And it's unlikely that the show could sustain an audience for a long-run. Even cities like Chicago and LA can't sustain long runs unless the show is a complete blockbuster like Wicked or Phantom. (Beauty and the Beast was a big failure in Chicago, though the Lion King was able to run for a year). It's also expensive for families. With a ticket price over $100, and a run time of 2.5 hours, it's hard to imagine they could sustain that run. They might be able to run The Lion King, but I'm guessing they don't think they would get enough mileage out of it to make it worthwhile.

WDW1974

As a mere park visitor, I have to agree. I don't care for FotLK, or Nemo, or the Beauty and the Beast stage show. I've seen better live shows at lesser parks. I'm sorry to be so harsh, but you would think Disney could at least meet that standard...

BTW, if I may digress, do you think there's any chance an actual Oz attraction, mixing in the new Disney film with elements of the 1939 movie, will actually ever be built in DHS?

Um ... I guess I'd say that all depends on how the new film performs. If it is HUGE and Disney can start its own franchise, then it would certainly be possible if not likely. If it bombs, forget about it.

WDW1974

Taking Festival of the Lion King offline for 6 months for the relocation is dumber than not taking Expedition Everest offline for 6 months to fix the Yeti.

You realize how much money Disney can save by doing this (if they in fact are and I am NOT saying that as I don't know)?

They can basically 'lay' the cast off. They can move the stage folks around and cut their hours. They can cut front-line CMs. They can use the lack of the show to do 9-5 days all the time ... no 8 a.m. mornings or 6, 7 or 8 p.m. closes. They can even cut an EMH morning out entirely. Translate that to Food and Beverage etc and soon Disney (on paper) is saving millions of dollars.

alissafalco

You realize how much money Disney can save by doing this (if they in fact are and I am NOT saying that as I don't know)?

They can basically 'lay' the cast off. They can move the stage folks around and cut their hours. They can cut front-line CMs. They can use the lack of the show to do 9-5 days all the time ... no 8 a.m. mornings or 6, 7 or 8 p.m. closes. They can even cut an EMH morning out entirely. Translate that to Food and Beverage etc and soon Disney (on paper) is saving millions of dollars.

Ugh! Disgusting, how cheap!!!

RSoxNo1

If they cut Festival of the Lion King, they could make the park hours 9-1.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom