FoTLK To Close in January?

tirian

I would also suspect that Cameron wouldn't have any reason to be particularly impressed with Rhode.
He wasn't at first. I'm not sure how the relationship is now.

Most guests who aren't Disney fanatics walk into DAK and say, "This is gorgeous, but why isn't there much to do?" Cameron was no exception.

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
I just got a packet for my trip and noticed on the AK Map that they put FoTLK in the Dinoland USA part of the map even tho it clearly shows it's in Camp Minnie-Mickey...Here's a scan of it...
akmap.jpg

dennis-in-ct

The Festival Of The Lion is a glorified pep rally. No where near the quality of the NEMO theater show at Animal Kingdom.

It is nice and fun. Of course worth seeing and it would be missed. I am surprised a new theater is not built before they shut down the exiting show.

wilkeliza

I'm confused I thought pandora was being build where Rafiki's Planet Watch is now and thus why that section would be going away and the vet's office would be moving. Did they decide against this? I thought the consensus was that Rafiki's area had the lowest customer draw so it was the easiest and smartest to cut and then you would take the train out to Pandora thus separating it from the villages of Animal Kingdom allowing for the theme of the rest of the park to stay seamless.

dreamscometrue

Titanic was so far over budget and late - they were considering pulling the plug.. or the studio forcing edits on the film due to its length.. but Cameron put himself on the line to protect the film as he wanted to make it. Like Snow White - people did not believe the format and expense was going to accepted or successful - yet, like Walt, Cameron thought otherwise, and like Walt, created the most successful movie the world had seen up to that point.

Cameron, like Walt, is unrelenting in his vision of what the product should be, even if that means trashing what was already done. Their concept and their view of it is the only thing that matters. They were willing to bet it all - to see their vision to completion. Of course Cameron wasn't mortgaging his friends to get funding... but the tenacity and uncompromising direction, even in the face of commercial and financial scrutiny, is shared between them.

I agree with this completely, and the creativeness and tenacity of Cameron is why 'Pandora' is going to be awesome when it's done.

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
Cmdr, possible misprint??? If so, how the heck could they make such a mistake???

What is even stranger is I checked other maps I had and another one indicates that it's in Dinoland but get this.."Sponsored by Mcdonalds" for FoTLK.......http://polchat.pl/media/images/emotwar/.gif

Whomever is in the Map dept must have never been in the Park..They need a good slap in the back of the head.
tumblr_m5f6ad8IHQ1qdp8b8o1_400.gif

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm confused I thought pandora was being build where Rafiki's Planet Watch is now and thus why that section would be going away and the vet's office would be moving. Did they decide against this? I thought the consensus was that Rafiki's area had the lowest customer draw so it was the easiest and smartest to cut and then you would take the train out to Pandora thus separating it from the villages of Animal Kingdom allowing for the theme of the rest of the park to stay seamless.

I don't think that was ever anything more then an unsubstantiated rumor. All evidence at this point seems to indicate it will go in the Camp Minnie Mickey area.

wilkeliza

I don't think that was ever anything more then an unsubstantiated rumor. All evidence at this point seems to indicate it will go in the Camp Minnie Mickey area.

Thanks for actually answering my question and not continuing the trash talk of the idea or Cameron as a person.

I would be upset if FoTLK went away with nothing replacing it. Animal Kingdom can't take any hits right now. It already is slim on offering and to take anything away even an older show would not do the park any good.

KevinYee

But he isn't the direct source, he is just reporting that someone else heard that Joe said this. The further the chain goes the harder it is to substantiate. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying this isn't going to happen. I am one of the few people around here that actually likes the Avatarland idea, I just don't see any firm evidence yet that it is actually starting to happen.

Correct - I was just quoting someone else. There was no construction. I haven't been able to figure out entirely what that original quote meant. Did Joe say some months ago that construction would start on that date, and this date arriving was just the clock running out?

WDW1974

The Festival Of The Lion is a glorified pep rally. No where near the quality of the NEMO theater show at Animal Kingdom.

It is nice and fun. Of course worth seeing and it would be missed. I am surprised a new theater is not built before they shut down the exiting show.

Nice to see you, Dennis!!!

I wouldn't quite call Festival a glorified pep rally ... but it is much better in HKDL.

I sorta felt WDW gave up the idea of quality stage shows a decade ago, myself.

Magenta Panther

Nice to see you, Dennis!!!

I wouldn't quite call Festival a glorified pep rally ... but it is much better in HKDL.

I sorta felt WDW gave up the idea of quality stage shows a decade ago, myself.

As a mere park visitor, I have to agree. I don't care for FotLK, or Nemo, or the Beauty and the Beast stage show. I've seen better live shows at lesser parks. I'm sorry to be so harsh, but you would think Disney could at least meet that standard...

BTW, if I may digress, do you think there's any chance an actual Oz attraction, mixing in the new Disney film with elements of the 1939 movie, will actually ever be built in DHS?

ellie-badge

As a mere park visitor, I have to agree. I don't care for FotLK, or Nemo, or the Beauty and the Beast stage show. I've seen better live shows at lesser parks. I'm sorry to be so harsh, but you would think Disney could at least meet that standard...

I can agree as well. Festival of the Lion King, Beauty and the Beast: Live on Stage, and Voyage of the Little Mermaid are all "meh" to me. They aren't attractions that I need to do or see every trip, they're more like something I'd want to see every five+ years or so, if that. I do remember liking The Hunchback of Notre Dame stage show a long time ago, but that just might be nostalgia making it seem better than what it actually was.

I'd like to disagree about Finding Nemo: The Musical, though. In my opinion, that's leagues ahead of all the other shows at the resort. The puppetry throws a lot of people off, but I've never minded and I've come to appreciate it. It may also help that I'm a fan of Robert and Kristen Anderson-Lopez, who composed the music for Avenue Q (which coincidentally is another musical involving puppetry), which I also like.

If Disney could make shows that are on the same level or higher as Finding Nemo: The Musical, I'd be a real happy camper. They should give BatB a face lift and make it longer and more similar to its Broadway counterpart. That I would definitely love to see. The same goes for VotLM and FotLK, but that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom