Forbidden Journey Breaks Down

themoose

Original Poster
http://www.wesh.com/entertainment/24375560/detail.html

ORLANDO, Fla. --

A new ride at Universal's Islands of Adventure broke down Friday night, leaving riders stranded.
Orlando Fire Department officials responded to 911 calls at about 8:15 p.m. There were 132 people on the ride, and OFD officials said all passengers had been removed without medical complaints as of 9:45 p.m.

Breaking down already? They probably should have called Disney to see how often their Kuka arms break down.

StageFrenzy

http://www.wesh.com/entertainment/24375560/detail.html

ORLANDO, Fla. --

A new ride at Universal's Islands of Adventure broke down Friday night, leaving riders stranded.
Orlando Fire Department officials responded to 911 calls at about 8:15 p.m. There were 132 people on the ride, and OFD officials said all passengers had been removed without medical complaints as of 9:45 p.m.

Breaking down already? They probably should have called Disney to see how often their Kuka arms break down.

Rides break down, whether it has a kuka arm or not.

themoose

Original Poster
Yeh, space and splash mountain break down. It happens when they are 20+ years old, not when youre 2 months old.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This isn`t news. It`s a way of park life. For any park. :fork:

FJ probably needs evacing once a day. It`s a new system. State of the art. The most techonologically complex park ride to date. Compare this to say the problems Test Track and still has.

How many rides in WDW need evac per day? You`d be surprised. Some have to be evaced to be restarted.

One of the issues with FJ evac is the height of the ride cars. When the ride goes 101 the arms don`t just drop as has been reported. They freeze. Ladders and platforms are needed to get all guests to ground level, much like Dinosaur or Indy EMVs.

And if they did call Disney, they`d be surprised with how often The Seas with Nemos arm breaks down. And how unreliable it is. But that`s another topic covered long ago.

Grizzly Hall 71

Yeh, space and splash mountain break down. It happens when they are 20+ years old, not when youre 2 months old.

Splash Mountain isn't 20 years old yet.

No matter what the ride is better than anything Disney has invented inthe past 20 years. I'm still hoping Disney is coming up with something better though.

Lynne M

Test Track was down on a regular basis, from the day it opened. Age has nothing to do with it.

Rides are complex systems, and any new tech is going to need to have the problems shaken out. No matter which theme park it's in. :)

Grizzly Hall 71

Universal has a record with rides not working when they first open. In 1990 when they first opended everything broke down. It's because they use high rate of special effects.

They tried to run before they could walk and they saw that and that's why IOA was heavily tested before it was opended.

disneygirl1

I have to agree.... I don't think this is huge news, rides break down, matter to fact, I have been stuck on quite a few rides in both Disney and other parks. What matters is nobody was hurt!

What I loved when I was reading preliminary reports online was that people were saying that they were stuck upside down for an hour!!! The ride doesn't even go upside down!!! :ROFLOL:

sweetpee_1993

Um...during passholder previews for TSM in May '08 the hubby & I waited outside for 2 1/2 hours when the ride went down. If we had left the Pixar Place area we weren't guaranteed a chance to come back. I don't see how this occurrence with FJ is unique to that attraction...or news worthy. I noticed it was a WESH article. Slow day? :shrug:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Universal has a record with rides not working when they first open. In 1990 when they first opended everything broke down. It's because they use high rate of special effects..
No, it was due to third parties not having everything installed on time (Kong and Earthquake) and a thrid party poorly installing a ride (Jaws)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The only part of this that is a stand-out compared to a normal evac is that the fire department attended. You don't see that with a routine Test Track evac. You also don't get guests calling 911.

wizards8507

To me, the interesting part is that they had to call the fire department to get the people out and that they were stuck in there for over an hour and a half.

T-1MILLION

The only part of this that is a stand-out compared to a normal evac is that the fire department attended. You don't see that with a routine Test Track evac. You also don't get guests calling 911.

That was just fear mongering oppertunity. Universal cannot control if some tourist calls 911 from a cell phone.

Lee

Adventurer
If I may...
I, my own self, happened to be on the ride when it broke down last night.
No tragedy, no trauma, just lots of boredom sitting suspended at an awkward angle for a half hour or so.

No stairs were needed to evac us. Our arm/bench simply straightened up and rotated around to deposit us on a handy catwalk that runs around the perimeter of the room we were in (a screen-filled room not far into the ride.)

During the evac we heard that the fire dept. and cops were on the scene. We asked a team member what was up, and were informed that a guest got nervous while stuck and called 911. Moron. This led to a minor technical breakdown evolving into a completely overblown, unnecessary mess which prevented me from getting my last ride of the night in.

Y'all want breakdown/evac pics?:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom