For those who have seen Wicked...

Tigggrl

Original Poster
I kinda have a question. I am planning a girls night out with my niece who is 8 and she will bring a friend, while her mom and I go to see Wicked one afternoon or evening. Is this show ok for that age group? I kinda figure it is, but would like some imput! Thanks!

k.hunter30

Just a side note - do not let her read the book. (I don't think the tone of the book is at all like that of the musical, however.) Though I doubt an 8-year-old would even want to get past the first few pages (I know adults that couldn't even do that), some of the contents of the book are definitely not suited for children.

Shere_Khan

Just a side note - do not let her read the book. (I don't think the tone of the book is at all like that of the musical, however.) Though I doubt an 8-year-old would even want to get past the first few pages (I know adults that couldn't even do that), some of the contents of the book are definitely not suited for children.

I second that! It is definitely not for children!

And as for the play, I am going on Saturday!!!!! So I will let you know when I get back. I'm sure others will comment before that.

Tigggrl

Original Poster
Thanks Guys! I am one who just couldnt get thru the book, and I read everything! My niece loves to sing, and is in a chior program outside of school, so I think she will like it.I cant wait to hear more tho!

Shere_Khan

Thanks Guys! I am one who just couldnt get thru the book, and I read everything! My niece loves to sing, and is in a chior program outside of school, so I think she will like it.I cant wait to hear more tho!

I agree, his style is difficult at times. I made the mistake of buying Wicked, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, and the one about Snow White (which the title escapes me as of now) all at the same time because I had heard how great Wicked is. I have a problem with buying books btw. I just can't stop! Wicked was the only one I even enjoyed in the slightest. Once I got into it it got better though. The play however, I know will be wonderful!

Coree

We've seen the show twice and I don't think there's anything problematic for an eight-year-old at all. There's nothing inappropriate in there and I think they'll just be totally enthralled with the music and sets. There are a few innuendos that should fly completely over their heads. It's a great show--enjoy!

Mister Marbles

Wicked in Chicago, Orchestra Center for $25!!!

If you’re in Chicago and want to see Wicked they have an amazing program, they do a drawing for 20 front row seats too every performance! On weekends you go to the Borders on State and Randolph (right next door to the Oriental Theatre) at least 2 hours prior to every show and sign up, (go to the third floor and look for the big Wicked Hat) if the show is at 2:00 they draw at noon sharp and so on. If it’s a weekday they hold the drawing at the theatre. Anyway… they draw 10 names for 2 tickets each; the only catch is you have to pay at the box office in cash ($25 each, big deal). My wife and I couldn’t believe it, they drew her name, we bought the tickets and they were literally front row center, for a grand total of $50, mind you these are something like $90 each. Here’s the official link for more info

http://www.broadwayinchicago.com/shows_dyn.php?cmd=display_current&display_showtag=wicked05

And what an amazing show, but probably not for the little ones.

nighttimewisher

The book scared me!
But I'd consider visting a Philosophy Club near me :lookaroun

The show is amazing and I cant think of anything that would not be appropriate for a younger child; I've seen plenty watch and enjoy.

PineapplePrincess

I took my DD this past summer, and she loved it. I had read the book, and we listened to the CD for a couple of weeks before the show. You get a basic idea of the story from the songs, so I was able to brief her on the general idea of the story. She followed the whole story line, and can't wait to see it again. BTW she's 9.

mpoppins76

We just saw it this past weekend...it was absolutely amazing! I cannot say it enough. I bought the CD and can't stop listening to it! :lol: I think it would be just fine for an 8 year old.

When is this that you'll be going?

Tigggrl

Original Poster
I am hoping to go sometime before christmas. Im not worried about her being scared,she sees all the Harry Potter movies and is fine with it. So I was just concerned about the content. I think it will be great and so does her mom! I really cant wait. She is in a singing class and a chior class, in after school programs. I thought she might really enjoy a stage musical!

Thanks to everyone for the imput! It truly helps!

Shere_Khan

Reporting back!
It was totally awesome and fine for an 8 year old. In fact, from reading the book, I was expecting alot more sexual inuendos then there were.
The only thing I can think of that might be frightening is when the Wizard is behind the screen thing and the large talking head is talking. It was extremely loud when he began talking and kind of made me jump. But if you say she doesn't scare easily then she should be fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom