For those who have ridden Soarin', but never visited Disneyland

Mukta

Original Poster
For those of you who have ridden Soarin' at Epcot, but never actually visited Disneyland in CA, I have a few questions. When you rode Soarin' for the first time, did you know that was Disneyland at the end, or were you confused? Were you able to identify It's a Small World covered in holiday lights? Did the Matterhorn seem out of place?

Thanks!
:wave:

Wilt Dasney

I first rode it at Epcot in 2006. Knowing that the film was set in California, I'm pretty sure I recognized the park as DL right away.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I knew it was DL the first time I rode it. While both the parks do share common elements their major landmarks (castles, mountains, etc)are quite different.

Kamikaze

For those of you who have ridden Soarin' at Epcot, but never actually visited Disneyland in CA, I have a few questions. When you rode Soarin' for the first time, did you know that was Disneyland at the end, or were you confused? Were you able to identify It's a Small World covered in holiday lights? Did the Matterhorn seem out of place?

Thanks!
:wave:

You're in the wrong place if you want the 'uneducated' guest.

NYwdwfan

Yeah...it's pretty much billed as Soarin over California. I'm not that visually familiar with DL so it was more - "that's really cool to see" than "where's that?"

Now I have the music stuck in my head (not a bad thing!!!). 8 weeks to hear it for real! :sohappy:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
No, I think they did a pretty good job conveying some of the landmarks and cities in California, and neither the castle nor the mountain seemed confusing in the end. Pretty, actually, the way everything was lit up and decorated.....

Pioneer Hall

You probably won't find many people around here who weren't aware of what it was. I am sure there are plenty of ordinary guests who get confused though.

brent2124

They also show the names of your destinations in the pre flight video which includes Anaheim.

It should be obvious to anyone paying attention.

Mukta

Original Poster
You're in the wrong place if you want the 'uneducated' guest.

I am not looking for the uneducated guest. I was just wondering if people who have never been there were able to identify things like IASW from those few seconds on screen.

Thanks!

sweetpee_1993

My family & I rode Soarin' in early 2006 as well. My sons & i have never been to California. I knew it was Disneyland at the end. My sons who were 8 & 9 years old at the time knew it was not Disney World. I dont think even the average guest would be confused. The whole ride is footage of California. It wouldn't make sense to cut to Florida after all the Cali scenery.

And, yes, I picked out various landmarks at DL like IaSW. I've seen so many pics of it, I recognized it.

musketeer

Is there some type of a motive behind this question? Is this an attempt to say, "see, it makes no sense for a ride about California to be in Florida."

Because, either A) you already know it is Disneyland because you are a seasoned traveler like those on here, or B) You aren't a season traveler and haven't noticed nor really care and just really love the ride.

Because...does it really matter?

accord99cutie

Premium Member
We knew it was Disneyland simply from the castle, and the fact that it was filmed in California... I have noticed the matterhorn, but never noticed IASW. Something to look for on my next trip/ride!

loveofamouse

I figured it out. I knew it was CA and when they showed Disney and it wasn't MY disney, I knew it was DL. The castle gave it away for me :)

BTW I believe that soarin in WDW should be ALL FL scenes. But I'm Floridian by birth and raised so I'm admittedly biased :) lol

LucyintheSky

I knew right away that it was DL, from the castle, IaSW, the Matterhorn, etc...

But nearly every time I ride Soarin', I hear some yahoo yell, Look! It'sDisney World! Or- Hey! We're in Florida now! :shrug:

powlessfamily4

I knew it was DL and we were in CA on account of my brother looking at me before I got on the ride and saying "This is California not Florida don't be stupid and get it confused". LOL :) :) :)

worldfanatic

BTW I believe that soarin in WDW should be ALL FL scenes. But I'm Floridian by birth and raised so I'm admittedly biased :) lol

With Space Mountain being higher than any elevation in Florida, that wouldn't be too scenic a journey. :p

I guess there'd be good beach, swamp, and theme park views though.:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom