Floridians: Go see DL, Boycott WDW

mharrington

I agree with you 100%. I was disapointed in pretty much every Magic Kingdom version of a Disneyland ride, except for Splash Mountain. The Splash Mountain at Magic Kingdom has much better pacing and storyline and set design. But that's about the only ride that is better at Magic Kingdom. Particularly when it comes to the E Tickets, Disneyland outdoes the Magic Kingdom.

There's also the issue of all of the rides that are missing from the Magic Kingdom. Compared to the Magic Kingdom, Disneyland has three extra E Ticket thrill rides, four extra C Ticket dark rides, StorybookLand Canal Boats, Casey Jr. Circus Train, the Canoes and the Columbia all missing from the Florida park. And a 100 Million dollar E Ticket family ride opening in six months with Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage.

Florida's Magic Kingdom is missing a bunch of rides compared to Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom. :eek:

Remember that post I wrote here about the contest for the best Disney park ever? Well, as far as attractions go, when pitted against Disneyland, WDW's Magic Kingdom just can't go toe to toe with Disneyland. Here's specifically what was written:

In the attractions department, the Magic Kingdom is solid, but cannot go toe to toe with Disneyland. While it matches Disneyland with most of the classic attractions, its version of Pirates pales to the original. Moreover, it is missing the Matterhorn and Indiana Jones entirely. Sure, it counters with a few of its own attractions not found at Disneyland: Stitch's Great Escape, Hall of Presidents, Country Bears, PhilharMagic, Tomorrowland Transit Authority and Carousel of Progress, but it has far fewer attractions.

Hope this helps.

PencilTest

Yea, they're both roller coasters that top out at less than 40 mph...Who cares if one has more "Special effects"...
...The people who want to ride good roller coasters don't ride them to see the lighting effects...
...OH, a kiddie coaster that tops out at 18 mph and would mess up the Beautiful Magic Kingdom skyline.:snore:...
...All BORING Dark rides...:snore:...
I don’t really want to get into a ing match here, but I’m gonna point out a couple things. Firstly, I don’t think anybody would call the Indiana Jones ride a “boring dark ride”. And the reason that people love rides like Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, and StorybookLand are because, frankly, that’s what Disney parks are known for. Charming rides that you can ride with everyone from 6-year-old Timmy to 65-year-old Gran’ma. They aren’t famous for having excessive vomit-inducing coasters that take no consideration of theming or special effects. And really, I’d rather ride a 35 mph Space Mountain with music and awesome effects than a 60 mph Shiekra, which features neither. Those are, for the most part, what you would expect from a park like Six Flags or any other Amusement Park. And there’s nothing wrong with those rides, they just aren’t Disney.

Look, I understand that Disney parks mean something different to everybody, and I’m not knocking you for liking what you like. But you should understand that a whole lotta people love the dark rides and expect Disney to keep making them. Personally, I would hate to see them relegated to puking out faceless x-treme coasters all the time just to satisfy the rush junkies who don’t care about what the Disney name is known for. That would suck.

davewasbaloo

my internary is...

FEB1 - arrive to hotel 10pm...
FEB 2 - free shuttle to Universal studios
Feb 3 - AT DL
FEB 4 - AT DCA

FEB 5 sleep till checkout, and fly home!

that makes sense hu?

two days at DL/DCA should be enough, anyone know typical winter crowd levels
feb 3-4? (sat/sunday)

mitch

I would never say 2 days is enough. Dl has nearly double the attractions of the Mk, and the e-tickets are longer in the main. And we love DCA as it is like a best of MGM, DAK (without the Animals) and has a World Showcase vibe. It's my wife's fav park bar none.

davewasbaloo

I've noticed that most of the people who think Disneyland is so much better live and come from California.

People who come from other parts of the country/world always favor/like Walt Disney World a lot more.

I think Californians love Disneyland and the rest of the world loves Walt Disney World.

My english wife prefers DL.

davewasbaloo

Let's see:

DL vs MK

Railroad >
Mr Lincoln (currently on vacation) < Hall of Presidents
Main Street Stores being different >
Castle =
Jungle Cruise skippers >
Tiki Room >
Tarzan < Swiss family
Indy > Dinosaur
New Orleans Square > Liberty Square
PotC >
HM >
Splash Mountain <
Pooh =
Fantasmic >
Big Thunder >
Horseshoe Shows >
Snow White >
Peter Pan >
Tea Cups >
IASW >
Toontown >
Buzz >
Hista =
Star Tours =
Space Mountain >
Rockets <
Autopia > Grand Prix Raceway
Fireworks >
Parade >
Disneyland doesn't charge extra for Christmas fun
Disneyland has more live entertainment too

So over all, far better versions in the main where shared/ similar attractions. Also, although I love CoP, Country Bears (DL used to have it) and Philharmagic is OK, I think Indy, Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin, Matterhorn, Toad, Pinnochio, Alice, Casey Jr, Storybookland Canal boats, the subs, and even Innoventions make up for it.

I prefer the Grand Californian to Wilderness/AKL (just)
I prefer the Napa Rose to any restaurant in WDW
I prefer DCA to the Studios

So if you are a real Disney fan, you will have a great time. I love both resorts, but every time I go to the MK I am so disappointed it is not DL or DLP! If Epcot and DAK were not in Florida, I would not bother with WDW and would opt for DL instead.

cpt.jacksluv

Ok the last time I checked there is only one and a half park in DisneyLand and there are 4 parks in Orlando. A lot more money goes into the four parks at WDW than the 2 at DL I am sorry but I love WDW more than DL. DL to me is very getto compared to WDW. I think that it is nice to be encased by lucious trees and no street noises. In DL you know that there is industry all around you. I feel just like I am in the middle of a busy city not in my own world! :mad:

DisneyYorkian74

Disagree, we happily fly for 11 hours to go to DL. Having spent 10 nights at the Grand Californian in 2002, we had a blast!

Yea you're in the minority.

More than 1.5 million people a year from England fly down to Walt Disney World.

I bet you not even 2% of that number go and even visit Disneyland.

Pluse, you're a Native Californian. Which is actually no surprise.

I'm a HUGE Walt Disney World fan who doesn't like the dark rides. I may be a minority on this site, but I'm not the minority when it comes to the people who are actually visiting Walt Disney World today.

I know people on here are upset with what I'm saying, but I want my opinion to be taken seriously.

I've been on too many Disney theme park sites that have a bunch of Californians who are dieheart Disneyland fans that trash Walt Disney World because they're jealous that Walt Disney World receives all of the fame and glory, while Disneyland always plays second fiddle.

I don't see anyone on this thread really sticking up for Walt Disney World. (how ironic, considering the site's name)

Mansion Butler

I've decided. I'm boycotting WDW until they put money into the parks - enough so that the WDW parks are caught up with DL.

This is coming from a Floridian, who has traditionally visited WDW almost every year. Why am I boycotting WDW? Answer: I've seen what WDW is desperately missing. I've seen the details and the amount of care put into our West Coast sibling, and I am shocked that the WDC has not kept WDW as modern, up-to-date, and as-well up-kept as DL!

This used to be the other way around. If you'd gone to Land in the mid-to-late 90s you'd know what I mean.

I expect it's just a pendelum thing and reprecussions from devoting so much cash to things like Mission Space. I'm sure it's just a cycle sort of thing and nothing quite worth boycotting.

The dog being walked actually moves, compared to the WDW version that is not animated.

Bony most definitely does move.

Mansion Butler

Hmm.. Well I think it's safe to say you haven't visited DL :rolleyes:

Someone on MiceChat compared DL and WDW using this analogy:

WDW= A really big hamburger with very little meat.

DL= A small hamburger, with the best meat possible and bacon on top :D

DL is Walt's baby. Without it there would be no Magic Kingdom or WDW. And sadly, WDW has turned into a cheesy, tourist vacation spot. Sure, it's nice to have water parks..but at DL you get more than just water parks and golf courses: you get rides that actually work! Not only that, you get holiday versions of those rides! and a better Fantasmic, better fireworks show, better parades, better CM's, better everything! :wave:

Those of you who are saying WDW is better: you clearly haven't been to DL! and if you have, then I guess you just prefer average rides and a subpar Disney experience.

and if you want more reasons why DL is better, then read this thread: http://micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46584:wave:

That was actually offensive. And wrong an many counts.

davewasbaloo

Yea you're in the minority.

More than 1.5 million people a year from England fly down to Walt Disney World.

I bet you not even 2% of that number go and even visit Disneyland.

I appreciate that, but I think that is for a number of reasons. Having lived here for 20+ years and worked all over the country for 10 of those, there are a lot of untrue myths:

DL is in Fla (I have met a lot of people who didn't realise their were two resorts in the US)

Flights to California are more expensive (only about £10 - £30 $20 - $60)

California is so much further away (not in terms of flying time).

I've been on too many Disney theme park sites that have a bunch of Californians who are dieheart Disneyland fans that trash Walt Disney World because they're jealous that Walt Disney World receives all of the fame and glory, while Disneyland always plays second fiddle.

This could be true to a certain extent. While there are MANY things I love about WDW, the long commutes between the hotels and parks are not one of them. Also the live performances at WDW are not entirely up to the same standards (except some of the musical groups - Mo Rockin and the DAK performers are excellent!!!). The maintenance and attention to detail at DL surpasses the MK.

I think the MK in WDW has too large a scale and loses the intimate magic. Quantity does not equal quality.

I don't see anyone on this thread really sticking up for Walt Disney World. (how ironic, considering the site's name)

But don't let me belittle WDW as a whole (just the MK and Studios). Epcot is one of the most amazing creations on Earth. And DAK is just breathtaking, with Everest and Nemo adding two worldclass attractions to an already amazing park.

And DCA is only a 1/2 day if you don't want to learn something and live the experience. It is a special park. But as Yorkian said, I'm biased as a native Californian.

Mansion Butler

DLR:
28820751-S.jpg
Animation26236.jpg
projections1.jpg
lamps1.jpg

animation_building1_michael.jpg

WDW:

m_anima.jpg

Hmmm. . . wasn't this right after you argued with your oposition for using the entire resort against you?

Mansion Butler

:snore::snore:

You can't see the Ihop from Tarzan's treehouse. You're just making these things up :lol: Who cares if you're able to see the Matterhorn from the Marriott? It's a big mountain, get over it. and yes, you can catch the fireworks every night at 7:45, and weekends at 9:25. Fantasmic plays every night during the summer, and every weekend during the off-season. And yes, WDW is steadily declining when it comes to broken rides (Haunted mansion) cheap shows (High school musical :hurl:) and overall decay :wave:

Why does everyone seem to think the Mansion breaks down all the time, and yet those work there and know it doesn't?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom