Floridians: Go see DL, Boycott WDW

thomas998

Most of the updates you are speaking of were due to the 50th celebration. Prior to that, DL was hurting from what people have said to where they were compairing it to Six Flags and such.

You nailed it. We had gone prior to the recent buff and polish at DL and it was probably a bit below the Six Flags level.... If you do decide to go I would do it soon because I'm sure DL will be starved of dollars going forward, maybe for another 50 years.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
You nailed it. We had gone prior to the recent buff and polish at DL and it was probably a bit below the Six Flags level.... If you do decide to go I would do it soon because I'm sure DL will be starved of dollars going forward, maybe for another 50 years.
The first time I went to DL was 2005. This was still the during the Cynthia Harris era. Litterally, nothing was open because this was soon after the BTMRR fatality. I did get to see PotC (before the movie tie-in upgrades), IASW, all of Toon Town and Fantasyland. By 11-something am, there was nothing left open for me to see. All the mountains were closed, Haunted Mansion was closed for its transformation. I was quite ed. So, I stormed into Guest Relations and demanded a free ticket to DCA. I told them that I flew all the way from Florida to see the other Disney park, only to find that nothing was open and that if I wanted to see anything I had to buy another ticket to be admitted into DCA.

Of course, the response I got was "Sir, we cannot help you. We post which attractions will be open or close ahead of time and that information is easily available to the public. You have no excuse for not checking..."

I demanded to see her manager. I got the same response. I demanded to see the manager above her. I don't remember how many levels up I got, but I went pretty much to the top of Disneyland's command chain to finally get the response I wanted: "We apologize for the closures. Please accept this complimentary one day one park ticket for admittance into DCA on our behalf and enjoy the remainder of your stay in California!"

Even with free admittance into DCA, it was still not enough to see in one day. I enjoyed California Screaming and Soaring Over California (before EPCOT's was even announced). Their version of Twilight Tower of Terror was under construction. I bragged to everyone there "wait until it opens... You guys will love it... It's one of my favorites rides of all four Florida parks!" Later I would learn that Disney cut $50 million off DCA's TZToT, namely the Fourth Dimension scene - the best part of the ride! So, two years later when TZToT opened there, I was made to look like a fool as my California friends wondered why Floridians made such a big deal over it!

Any way, despite the few rides I was able to see on my first trip there and the fact that Harris and Company were well into their campaign of raging havoc, I was really, really blown away by the scale of details, amount of ride content, life-like AA's, ambiance, story, suspension of disbelief, opening transition, etc. of PotC that is not found in the WDW version! I was equally impressed with their version of IASW - its que, its show building that's like a land within a land, and the fact that the DL version is long enough to actually relax on and rest your tired feet that's been walking all day! I thought I would never like IASW as much as I liked the DL version. I liked the WDW version as a kid, but as an adult the WDW version is a bit of a schlep with annoying music. I was even impressed with Toon Toon, as it looks as if it got a decent budget to work with!

I went back to DL in 2006 and took my sister with me this time. Everything was mostly open this time. We saw Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, the newly upgraded PotC with Johnny Depp, Haunted Mansion, Buzz Light Year, Matterhorn Mountain, etc. I just couldn't believe how much better Space Mountain was. I was amazed that all the special effects in Haunted Mansion had been modernized and working perfectly, in sync with the ride and the digital sound track. I was surprised that even Buzz Light Year was longer and more detailed than the WDW version. I was shocked that they had a great modern immersively themed perfect E-ticket - Indiana Jones - that isn't even found at any of WDW's four parks!

A few months later, my family - including my cousins - spent a few days at AKL. I could not enjoy the WDW attractions, like I did at DL. Space Mountain with its rough tracks and 70's technology... I was actually embarrassed for Disney about how bad the WDW version is. The effects weren't working and were out of sync at the Haunted Mansion then in 2006. Dolls and background sets were broken every where at IASW. Splash Mountain was the only MK ride I actually was proud of in Florida! It was some time after that trip when I posted the message that started this thread.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Funny, because I literally just came back from DL last month, and I don't care to go back anytime soon, not for the cost. Though, their version of Pirates is far superior, the Park as a whole just doesn't do it for me.

However, I do think they still have many things going for them that seem to have been lost at late at WDW. Attention to detail and little things, like the Main Street USA vehicles, and characters were everywhere. I remember when WDW was like that.

But, overall, DL just couldn't win me over. Everything just felt small...like a first draft of WDW (Which, it was)...

I have a review due comparing DLC to WDW, and I'm doing my best to keep it unbiased...it's drug on the writing process dramatically.

Opinions, opinions.

Californian Elitist

Funny, because I literally just came back from DL last month, and I don't care to go back anytime soon, not for the cost. Though, their version of Pirates is far superior, the Park as a whole just doesn't do it for me.

However, I do think they still have many things going for them that seem to have been lost at late at WDW. Attention to detail and little things, like the Main Street USA vehicles, and characters were everywhere. I remember when WDW was like that.

But, overall, DL just couldn't win me over. Everything just felt small...like a first draft of WDW (Which, it was)...

I have a review due comparing DLC to WDW, and I'm doing my best to keep it unbiased...it's drug on the writing process dramatically.

Opinions, opinions.

This thread began seven years ago. Don't you think the OP's opinions may have changed?

By the way, what is DLC? And DL was not a first draft of WDW. You guys make me laugh when you say things like that?

hiptwinmama

I've decided. I'm boycotting WDW until they put money into the parks - enough so that the WDW parks are caught up with DL.

This is coming from a Floridian, who has traditionally visited WDW almost every year. Why am I boycotting WDW? Answer: I've seen what WDW is desperately missing. I've seen the details and the amount of care put into our West Coast sibling, and I am shocked that the WDC has not kept WDW as modern, up-to-date, and as-well up-kept as DL!

Why the sudden rebellion? Well, a couple of months ago, I had the opportunity to visit DL while on a trip to Southern California. I am still in awe as far as my impression of that park. Almost every ride: Space Mountain, Pirates, Its a Small World (always skipped the WDW version in recent years, but I actually enjoyed the DL version), Buzz Lightyear, Haunted Mansion, Pooh... all far more superior than their WDW counterparts.

Not a litttle, but a lot. Space Mountain, for example, rides on new smooth tracks (that are invisible to its riders) and rocks with a killer sound track. Florida's old rickety Space Mountain needs to be rebuilt desperately. Buzz Lightyear and Pooh are not placeholder attractions to fill in space of former attractions that got gutted (namely Take Flight and Mr. Toad) as is the case in Florida, but these attractions at DL were built on new ride systems designed for those rides, not built over the ride systems of closed rides.

Haunted Mansion and Pirates may have a better outside and que area at WDW, but are completely better at DL! Haunted Mansion at DL has effects that just work better and seem to be more up-to-date. For instance, the singing ghosts faces are perfectly in sync to the vocal tracks of 'grimm grinning ghosts'. The dog being walked actually moves, compared to the WDW version that is not animated. Pirates is much longer and gets updated every few years, compared to WDW's version that finally got its first update since it opened in 1973!

I have no desire to ever go back to WDW until management gives those parks the care and attention DL gets. I do plan on going to CA more often and will visit DL each time. To those who have been to WDW so many times and never DL, I seriously suggest that you visit DL. After you see what I am talking about, please join me in boycotting WDW!

NIce idea... but I don't have an extra $2K sitting in my pocket to fly the entire family CA, when we live 7 hours from WDW.

Dawn2001

I live on the West Coast and as a result have been to DL (5 times) more than WDW (2 times). In 2001, I went to WDW for the first time and was amazed. I went there again in 2007, and had an equally great time. And now again, I will be going later this year.

I have always like WDW over DL. Maybe it's because I don't go as often as some, but I am able to completely become immersed in Disney at either park. What I really like is the quantity that WDW offers. I have never noticed some of these details/issues that WDW has. I likely won't notice it when I am there this time either. But what I will enjoy is the amount of things to do. I can absolutely do everything I want to do at DL and California Adventure in 4 days, and then some. Where as WDW, I would miss so much if that was my time frame.

For me it's a matter of how many days of a trip do I have? If it's over a week= WDW, every time! For me on the West Coast the higher cost of airfare to Florida (over flying to DL) is compensated by the less expensive accommodations Florida offers. It is true that there is a different feel at DL, but to me much of that is size. And I would also say nostalgia, but not so much so that it would ever make me choose DL over being able to go to WDW.

Saying all that. PotC is much better at DL, and Indiana Jones is a very fun ride. However, WDW has tons of things that DL just doesn't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom