Floridians: Go see DL, Boycott WDW

CoffeeJedi

Not all of us who visit a Disney park actually care about how well the parks are themed and attention to detail.
Then what in the world are you doing on a Disney theme park fandom message board?
Theming and attention to detail are really what seperate Disney's parks from your average amusement park.

TP2000

I don't even like dark rides in general so "Pirates" or "Haunted Mansion" being more "detailed" and "longer" somewhere else doesn't really phase someone like me.

The attractions that I do care about are either much better in Walt Disney World or can only be found at Walt Disney World.

So Disneyland is a :snore: to me.

Okay, got it. Just out of curiosity, if you don't like rides like Pirates or Mansion, what rides do you like? What brings you to Disney World?

DisneyYorkian74

Okay, got it. Just out of curiosity, if you don't like ride like Pirates or Mansion, what rides do you like? What brings you to Disney World?

Just being there..., seeing the castle in real life..., watching the fireworks go off over Cinderella Castle...

Is what makes me love the place and keeps me coming back.

I was disappointed with the rides like "Pirates" and "Haunted Mansion" when I first rode them because I think they have nothing exciting to offer.

But rides like Expedition Everest, Rock n Roller Coaster, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Test Track, Mission Space, Soarin', etc... are rides that are right up my alley...

I love Walt Disney World more for the atmosphere and their castle over the actual rides themselves.

mitchjs

ok, thanks for the walt d info, i thought he had it planned out before they built it, i do remember seeing videos of him talking about it, and was over seeing construction when he died...

well.. i guess WDW will have to wait till 50th annaversay before it gets cleaned up...

prob all about $$, takes alot more $$ to keep up WDW due to its size

____*t landscaping mantinance alone must be killer...
in DL they dont have to upkeep 100's acres of park

when u look at say microsoft windows local live arial shots, WDW is just amzin
DL is just scary with the crap around it...

i know Walt felt so bad about that, and i do too

mitch

http://local.live.com/?v=2&sp=Point.nr2wqk861cv9_Walt%20Disney%20World___

http://local.live.com/?v=2&sp=Point...geles%2c%20California%2c%20United%20States___

CLICK ON THE BRIDS EYE VIEW!!!!!! and click on AERIAL!!!!

Dragonrider1227

Disneyland would naturally have an easier time keeping clean and refurbished since it's only got two parks, three hotels, and a Downtown Disney.
WDW on the otherhand has FOUR theme parks, two waterparks, dozens of hotels, and a Downtown Disney. Add the fact that WDW gets ALOT more people, and thus has more trouble finding times to close certain attractions for long term refurbs, it's also only natural it would take longer there for things to get fixed up. That being said, WDW still does a few things better than Disneyland. I feel it has better atmosphere, and feels less like a park and more like another world. Though WDW's HM isn't in the best condition, I still think it as the best show building. :D Second perhaps to Tokyos.
So, yeah. WDW could be handled better, but it could be worse too. Did you SEE those pictures of that japanese theme park "Dreamland?" o_O

DDuckFan130

Out of curiosity, isn't it true that WDW's POTC lacks drops because of the water levels (or being above/below sea level) or something of that nature? I don't remember the specifics, but there was some technical reason why DL has the two drops and WDW doesn't.

Might be wrong though :lol:

wonderofdisney

Interesting thread

Let me preface my post by saying I am new to this site but find the site very interesting.

I live in Canada so have no built in preference to either park and have visted each one once.

I liked both parks and found them enjoyable for different reasons. Disneyland is smaller and of course it is easier to navigate and I found some of the rides a little better.

Disney World was bigger and harder to navigate but there was just so much to do in the area that I choose to go to Florida instead. Keep in mind that I live in Edmonton, Alberta and Anaheim is obviously much closer for me.

To me it comes down to preference and many of you have been so many times that perhaps Disney has lost some of it's wonders and you are a little jaded.

Perhaps some of you have been to Edmonton and seen West Edmonton Mall. It's a great attraction for tourists but because I have lived here all my life the weaknesses and problems stand out.

Enjoy the parks and many of you that live close close to both parks should feel fortunate but I understand it is human nature to become critical of something you have seen many times.

As a newbie I am going to enjoy the wonder again for a second time in March and I am really looking forward to it.:sohappy:

wannab@dis

Let me preface my post by saying I am new to this site but find the site very interesting.

I live in Canada so have no built in preference to either park and have visted each one once.

I liked both parks and found them enjoyable for different reasons. Disneyland is smaller and of course it is easier to navigate and I found some of the rides a little better.

Disney World was bigger and harder to navigate but there was just so much to do in the area that I choose to go to Florida instead. Keep in mind that I live in Edmonton, Alberta and Anaheim is obviously much closer for me.

To me it comes down to preference and many of you have been so many times that perhaps Disney has lost some of it's wonders and you are a little jaded.

Perhaps some of you have been to Edmonton and seen West Edmonton Mall. It's a great attraction for tourists but because I have lived here all my life the weaknesses and problems stand out.

Enjoy the parks and many of you that live close close to both parks should feel fortunate but I understand it is human nature to become critical of something you have seen many times.

As a newbie I am going to enjoy the wonder again for a second time in March and I am really looking forward to it.:sohappy:
Welcome to the boards!

Thanks for a great first post. I believe you are correct and those that constantly find fault may be jaded and have lost sight of the magic.

MainSt1993

Out of curiosity, isn't it true that WDW's POTC lacks drops because of the water levels (or being above/below sea level) or something of that nature? I don't remember the specifics, but there was some technical reason why DL has the two drops and WDW doesn't.

Might be wrong though :lol:

I could be wrong, but I believe it's because WDW doesn't need them. Same reason you don't board an elevator at the begining of Haunted Mansion. At DL, you have to go underneath the railroad tracks to get to the show buildings for the two attractions. At WDW, they didn't have that challenge. So, for POTC to have two big drops, you'd either have to build the front end of the attraction higher, or excavate a lot of ground.

PencilTest

I could be wrong, but I believe it's because WDW doesn't need them. Same reason you don't board an elevator at the begining of Haunted Mansion. At DL, you have to go underneath the railroad tracks to get to the show buildings for the two attractions. At WDW, they didn't have that challenge. So, for POTC to have two big drops, you'd either have to build the front end of the attraction higher, or excavate a lot of ground.
But wait, they did have to excavate a lot of earth, didn't they? I mean, you still go down the drop at the beginning, and then go back up on the moving walkway after the ride ends. Wouldn't that make pretty much all of the ride underground? Or is it technically at ground level, since the park itself is built up higher than actual ground level?
Aw crap, now I'm confused...

TP2000

Same reason you don't board an elevator at the begining of Haunted Mansion. At DL, you have to go underneath the railroad tracks to get to the show buildings for the two attractions. At WDW, they didn't have that challenge.

And yet the fact that they didn't need elevators for the Haunted Mansion stretch rooms meant that they weren't even operating that first scene for paying customers on my last visit to Walt Disney World. They just had both doors open on each side of the stretch room and the line just snaked right through there and straight on to the loading area, which was in full view just as soon as you entered the house.

I was amazed that they would stoop so low! It got worse when I returned to the Magic Kingdom Park two days later and they were still doing the exact same thing, so it obviously wasn't just a temporary one day only thing. :eek:

If both of the stretch rooms don't work, or you don't want to spend the labor to run them and staff the extra CM's, then just shut the ride down. It was a really tacky stunt in my opinion and cemented in my mind the fact that WDW and Disneyland have very different priorities when it comes to operating their signature E Ticket attractions.

It didn't help that once I went on WDW's Haunted Mansion it was in the most pathetic shape I've ever seen a Haunted Mansion be in. Tokyo has an exact duplicate of the WDW version and theirs was stunningly maintained and looked like it had just opened the week before, even though it is a 24 year old ride.

DDuckFan130

And yet the fact that they didn't need elevators for the Haunted Mansion stretch rooms meant that they weren't even operating that first scene for paying customers on my last visit to Walt Disney World. They just had both doors open on each side of the stretch room and the line just snaked right through there and straight on to the loading area, which was in full view just as soon as you entered the house.

I was amazed that they would stoop so low! It got worse when I returned to the Magic Kingdom Park two days later and they were still doing the exact same thing, so it obviously wasn't just a temporary one day only thing. :eek:

If both of the stretch rooms don't work, or you don't want to spend the labor to run them and staff the extra CM's, then just shut the ride down. It was a really tacky stunt in my opinion and cemented in my mind the fact that WDW and Disneyland have very different priorities when it comes to operating their signature E Ticket attractions.

It didn't help that once I went on WDW's Haunted Mansion it was in the most pathetic shape I've ever seen a Haunted Mansion be in. Tokyo has an exact duplicate of the WDW version and theirs was stunningly maintained and looked like it had just opened the week before, even though it is a 24 year old ride.
I agree HM isn't in good shape, but those incidents you described are strange. Maybe there was a technical problem? Although if it happened again, I just don't know. I've never had that happen on my many upon many trips to WDW :lol:

If you talk to DL veterans you'll find out that DLR was in pretty sad shape prior to the 50th Celebration. Many think that the park was spruced up for the celebration and they wonder how long they'll keep the park as kept up as it is.

I am and have been a pass holder for DL for the last 10 years. Before the 50th Disneyland was in disrepair. Not so much that I would compair it to Six Flags. I recently visited WDW last october and was amazed in the condition and overall experence with in all 4 parks as well as the resorts and hotels. So much that I am visiting again in December 2007. I find both parks to be in great shape, and couln't see anyone ever boycotting!

TP2000

I agree HM isn't in good shape, but those incidents you described are strange. Maybe there was a technical problem? Although if it happened again, I just don't know. I've never had that happen on my many upon many trips to WDW :lol:

Yes, it was very odd. The first day I thought "Oh, wow, something must be really wrong with the stretching rooms. I'd heard they weren't really elevators in WDW, but how weird that they would keep the ride open!"

Two days later we went back to the Magic Kingdom and it was still being operated like that. The CM's didn't seem to care, no one said a word, and the tourists were all still filing right through the disabled stretching room and getting in to their DoomBuggies. That's when I thought "Oh my God, they are still doing it! This just is not the way you are supposed to run a Disney theme park!". :fork:

DDuckFan130

Yes, it was very odd. The first day I thought "Oh, wow, something must be really wrong with the stretching rooms. I'd heard they weren't really elevators in WDW, but how weird that they would keep the ride open!"

Two days later we went back to the Magic Kingdom and it was still being operated like that. The CM's didn't seem to care, no one said a word, and the tourists were all still filing right through the disabled stretching room and getting in to their DoomBuggies. That's when I thought "Oh my God, they are still doing it! This just is not the way you are supposed to run a Disney theme park!". :fork:
If it were me, I probably wouldn't have cared because I've seen it so many times and being stuck with a bunch of people in there makes me claustrophobic...plus HM just doesn't keep my interest as much these days as Splash or Philharmagic or even the TTA....

:lookaroun

But for first-timers, it sucks. I guess when they fix it up, I'll go back on it. In the meantime, I shall visit it every other trip :lol:

dreamscometrue

Welcome to the boards!

Thanks for a great first post. I believe you are correct and those that constantly find fault may be jaded and have lost sight of the magic.

I completely agree. As I noted in an earlier post, those of us on these boards represent a ridiculously small percentage of annual visitors. Further, we are NOT typical WDW or DL visitors. A massive number of people who visit don't do any research, don't pay attention to attraction details, know little, if any, history of the parks...they just go and have fun. Our personalities and interests are such that we enjoy posting here, but we are different. Case in point...I spoke to 2 friends who have recently taken their families to WDW for visits and they knew little of pre shows, queue details, etc. To them, EE is just a fun coaster ride, Splash is a flume ride (many people have never seen Song of the South), etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom