Flies. Lots of Flies.

Yensid1974

If it is that mulch from DAK, I would assume that it is something that they are trying to recycle into a usable product as part of some green initiative. This however does show that in so many things people don't consider the unintended consequences of what they do.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It's been years since I lived in the South, and since we don't have bug problems in dry Southern California and they simply don't exist at private businesses with routine cleaning like Disneyland, I won't pretend to be a bug expert. I have noticed bugs of all types and sizes while at WDW, but since I have a point of reference after living in the Humid Bug Infested American South, I'm not devastated by them. But they aren't attractive or pleasant.

But... surely there is something Disney could do to combat the bug infestations at WDW. They must have some sort of a pest management process in place, or that could be activated when infestations get bad. And if the black fly problem at restaurants is as bad as several posters on this thread say it is, then perhaps it's time for WDW management to step up their game and redouble efforts on controlling the bugs and nasties flying around.
Not always. With seasonal swarms like love bugs, cicada, etc, there is little you can do save for let them pass especially if the insects do not harm.

Goofyernmost

That article is talking about something else. These are not mosquito or fruit fly sized bugs. There's are regular house flies, just many of them are small. But bigger than what they're talking about in that article. And this is new within the last week, not something that's been going on for months.
Then they aren't Black Flies. A Black Fly is incredibly tiny. They can even get through screens and are notorious for flying up your nose or into your mouth if you are a mouth breather. They do bite, but nothing that would require hospitalization. :D But they do swarm in thick groups of thousands, if not millions of bugs and buzz around your head and face, driving you to the verge of insanity. I don't remember seeing them on food though, but, it might just be that I haven't paid any attention to that. Up North they were always a spring time guest. Disney used to employ natural means to keep most of the "bugs" at bay. They would ship in birds or whatever that fed on whatever insect that they were trying to control. Maybe all the predators feel that the little tiny bug isn't worth the effort.

Deer Flies are the worst in the Fly family, in my opinion. They are not as annoying as the rest of the fly species, but, they are capable of biting really hard or in such a way that you don't even feel it. If you know you have been bitten it is helpful, because not long after being bitten the wound starts to itch really bad. If you are not aware that you were bitten, you will unconsciously reach out and scratch the area. When you do, the surrounding area will swell up severely. I even had an eye lid swell up and close my eye because I had been bitten along side my face near my eye and I didn't know it. Hate those little suckers. They are about the same size as a house fly, but when not flying their wings form the shape of a triangle. How's that for a bunch of useless information?:p

luv

Then they aren't Black Flies. A Black Fly is incredibly tiny. They can even get through screens and are notorious for flying up your nose or into your mouth if you are a mouth breather. They do bite, but nothing that would require hospitalization. :D But they do swarm in thick groups of thousands, if not millions of bugs and buzz around your head and face, driving you to the verge of insanity. I don't remember seeing them on food though, but, it might just be that I haven't paid any attention to that. Up North they were always a spring time guest. Disney used to employ natural means to keep most of the "bugs" at bay. They would ship in birds or whatever that fed on whatever insect that they were trying to control.
:p
If black flies can fit through (or even come close to fitting through) a typical home window screen, these aren't them. They're like small house flies. That's it. You know how when you see a little one, you think, "Aww, baby fly"...like that.

I keep several unscreened sliding glass doors open because the back of the house has one of those big screens, like you see all around Orlando. Nary a fly.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I found the solution!

tumblr_mbhcy8cI3G1r8dy8go1_r1_500.gif

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
When BLT first opened, there was a major fly problem. So major in fact that one night the fire alarm went off at 1 am and we were told that it was because the flies were chewing on the wires. We've been back multiple times and they've never had this problem. My guess is that it was a new problem and they got it under control. My guess is with this that it is a new problem and they will get it under control. Now if they can only manage to keep honey bees away from the refillable mug stations.

tissandtully

When BLT first opened, there was a major fly problem. So major in fact that one night the fire alarm went off at 1 am and we were told that it was because the flies were chewing on the wires. We've been back multiple times and they've never had this problem. My guess is that it was a new problem and they got it under control. My guess is with this that it is a new problem and they will get it under control. Now if they can only manage to keep honey bees away from the refillable mug stations.

The bee problem is fixed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom