Flies. Lots of Flies.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Excuse me?

I'm sorry, I expect basic food safety & cleanliness at Disney. Bugs crawling on food is a major issue.

I'm right there with you! Board of Health shouldn't care if they have a system that obviously fails to this extent.
I stopped eating at China with their bird problem, flying and pooping around the indoor restaurant. If their current system of food safety is a fail, get over it and find a new one, immediately.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
With some bugs there is nothing you can do except drop DDT from airplanes and the problem there is it kills all bugs good or bad then you have an even bigger problem down the road. There are also environmental concerns, we have salt water and fresh water misquotes the fresh water ones can be sprayed for and if they get bad the county does spray by air and trucks go out at night fogging lagoons. The salt water misquotes which basically grow up in the salt marshes can't be sprayed without poisoning the shell fish so nothing gets done when those skeeters get out of hand. We have lots of agriculture going on as well and you needed bees and other bugs for various plant related things, you simply can't kill all the bugs without all sorts of bad things happening.

I dumbed that down but simply it is possible to kill every bug in an area but there are many many reasons why that would be a really bad idea. Nature has bug killers out there and those will multiple up to the level of what ever bugs they kill. Someone said cicades are going to be big this year which means the cicade killing wasps will be out in force that's what they eat. Misquotes go wild, fish will have lots of eggs to eat, frogs will multiple and so will the bat population. It's just the bug eaters take a while to catch up in numbers or like love bugs there is just a quick blast then the bugs all die out till next season.
Exactly. You just can't do mass pesticide spraying because people are being annoyed. They has to be a credible threat before action like that can even be considered.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We've had less rain this spring than last spring, I think.
2013 is shaping up to be wetter than 2012. For the Orlando area the 2012 total for spring was 11.46". We still have a more than a month to go in spring 2013 and we are already at 10.44 inches and we are just starting to hit warm, thunderstorm every day weather.

Marc Gil

Here in Florida we've been having a huge insect problem lately. The most likely cause of this is phenomenon is probably our recent weather conditions. You see, it's been raining a heck of a lot here down in Florida, and after it rains, the humidity becomes unbearable. This is the perfect opportunity for insects to spawn. Also this rainy weather causes insects especially ants and flys to head for safety indoors, hence they end up in our eating establishments (Pecos Bill)

luv

2013 is shaping up to be wetter than 2012. For the Orlando area the 2012 total for spring was 11.46". We still have a more than a month to go in spring 2013 and we are already at 10.44 inches and we are just starting to hit warm, thunderstorm every day weather.
I stand corrected. I just remember thinking about how it just kept raining all last spring. Tropical storms, all of it.

This spring just hasn't seemed so bad, rain-wise. In any event, not so bad that it should bring bugs we didn't have, say, last year.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I stand corrected. I just remember thinking about how it just kept raining all last spring. Tropical storms, all of it.

This spring just hasn't seemed so bad, rain-wise. In any event, not so bad that it should bring bugs we didn't have, say, last year.
No worries. Stuff like that is really hard for our human brains to keep track of. When in doubt, I just go to the data.

NowInc

Especially in the last couple of weeks it has been VERY wet down here in Florida. I would say its safe to assume that looking at the timing its directly related to why there are an over abundance of insects.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Perhaps the giant snails that are invading FL will take care of the problem! :cool:
I wish! They are seriously awesome, but they seem to only like to eat plants and stucco.

ed3e94b352db2770a40ef64478ef60a5.jpg

NowInc

LoL. This is why I LOVE living in Florida (especially south). There is a LONG LIST of animals/insects that live here that are not supposed to. Various snakes (and crossbreeds of many), snails, fish etc...

The best tho are all the tropical birds that have flourished after they escaped the miami metro zoo after andrew hit. We really are a whole other country down here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom