Flies. Lots of Flies.

wdwmom2+1

Ok i've lived in Fl my whole life wow tons of insects there!! but never noticed them at a theme park.. welll now that we live in texas we went to six flags/sewaorld san antonio and THERE WERE BEES EVERYWHERE!! it was awful. I did complain because my daughter is allegeric and we spent the whole day in fear and she was scared to death of it that it ruined our trip and we wouldn' t have gone had we known the bees were like that. Now the bees I could i understand in flowers in such but these were agressive coming after drinks/food in your hand flying in your hair.. etc..

As for fly's we typically once or twice a year get a fly problem in our house here in texas... never head that in FL either.. but I hate flys and hope its under control by our trip coming up soon!!

CohibaMan

There is no fly problem here in Tampa. For work I travel around the area quite a bit (St. Pete, Lakeland, Bradenton, etc.,) and I haven't noticed any flies. Now love bugs are another story. They are EVERYWHERE! What is being experienced at MK right now are clearly flies. There were so many this past Saturday around Pecos Bills it was utterly repulsive.

litaljohn

I literally just checked in so didn't notice anything parkwise yet but at animal kingdom lodge I took a picture,transferred it to my ipad and couldn't believe how covered this one animal was (has a hidden Mickey on his side as well as luck would have it in the picture)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There is no fly problem here in Tampa. For work I travel around the area quite a bit (St. Pete, Lakeland, Bradenton, etc.,) and I haven't noticed any flies. Now love bugs are another story. They are EVERYWHERE! What is being experienced at MK right now are clearly flies. There were so many this past Saturday around Pecos Bills it was utterly repulsive.
Insect swarms can be often be confined to relatively small areas. Unlike the oh so common love bug swarms that seem to cover most of the state, most other swarms are highly localized. Given the size of WDW it would not surprise me in the slightest to see swarming conditions at MK, but not at AK, DHS or Epcot let alone Tampa.

YankeeMouse

Yes! We were at Pecos Bills on Friday and the flies were all over the toppings bar! Yet the doors were still open; I was verging on asking a manager why they couldn't at least close the double doors right at the entrance but got distracted and didn't have anything from the topping bar. If they know there is a problem, they really should have at least closed the doors. All in all, a small thing, it was a great trip anyway!

Timekeeper

There's an infestation of giant bugs at Animal Kingdom :(

bug.jpg

Tim_4

Yes! We were at Pecos Bills on Friday and the flies were all over the toppings bar! Yet the doors were still open; I was verging on asking a manager why they couldn't at least close the double doors right at the entrance but got distracted and didn't have anything from the topping bar. If they know there is a problem, they really should have at least closed the doors. All in all, a small thing, it was a great trip anyway!
That wasn't an infestation. It was a new protein delivery system for the people who steal themselves a "salad" from the toppings bar.

PeoplemoverTTA

Dave is right. Moreover, Disney has a massive pest control dept as already indicated by Steve. Guest Relations should want to be aware of this sorta thing as they can relay the info to pest control. Merely saying 'just fill out this card' and expecting it to filter through the system isn't doing Dave, guest relations or pest control any favors.....

I was eating at Cafe Marrakesh (first time after several recommendations, lol) back in June and saw a cockroach walking behind the counter across the food line. When I pointed it out to the CMs they literally walked away from me. Then one ran up, threw my tray at me and walked away before I could ask for my money back. When I went to Guest Relations at Epcot, the girl said, "There's really nothing we can do about bugs."

I wasn't trying to make a big deal, I just wanted my $15 back for my meal (since I threw it out). I stopped at Guest Relations outside the Epcot entrance, explained what happened and politely asked for my money back. The girl apologized profusely and thanked me for letting them know. Honestly, I'm guessing they'd rather hear about it from someone like me than from someone flipping their lid or calling the health department!

Timekeeper

I was eating at Cafe Marrakesh (first time after several recommendations, lol) back in June and saw a cockroach walking behind the counter across the food line. When I pointed it out to the CMs they literally walked away from me.

This is an intentional feature put in place to increase aesthetic authenticity, and is unique to a few of the pavilions in World Showcase, including Morocco. o_O

tracyandalex

We noticed them this past weekend too! Some family members are from the Tampa area and they mentioned they get them around this time every year.

Figments Friend

I've also been amazed at how few palmetto bugs and fire ants there are at WDW.
Thank the Gods for that...fire ants are bad news. I will always remember my first bite as a child when i first came to live in FL....not fun. They are nasty little buggers. For those not in the know, they live up to their name well. When they bite you, it burns like *fire* !

A few years ago i stayed at ASMusic for a few days in early September and the grounds were overrun with absolutely HUGE grasshoppers/locusts. These things looked like mutated monsters compared to the little dinky sized ones we have up in the Northeast.
There were so many of them on the sidewalks on the Resort that week that you could not walk in a straight line without stepping on them.
It was a plague of biblical proportions.

Figments Friend

I wish! They are seriously awesome, but they seem to only like to eat plants and stucco.

ed3e94b352db2770a40ef64478ef60a5.jpg
You know, there used to be this saying that * Everything is Bigger In Texas*.
Now i know that is NOT true....at least when it comes to insects and snails.

Florida definately holds the top spot for the largest versions of even the more innocent of critters in the continental US.

Pretty cool in come cases...and downright creepy in other cases!

wickedsoccer22

Some advice.. if able to avoid eating at the Dolphin hotel, I would. Last time I was there, not long ago I might add, I saw a Palmetto bug crawl across the counter at The Fountain and know that they have a big issue with them in the kitchens.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You know, there used to be this saying that * Everything is Bigger In Texas*.
Now i know that is NOT true....at least when it comes to insects and snails.

Florida definately holds the top spot for the largest versions of even the more innocent of critters in the continental US.

Pretty cool in come cases...and downright creepy in other cases!
I think those snails actually originate in Africa, but you are correct. When it comes to creepy crawly things, we grow em big in Florida.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom