Fire breaks out Enchanted Tiki Room

disnyfan89

My understanding from individuals I have talked to is that the entire place is a mess. I mean the sprinkle system went off in there. That cant be good for any of the show elements.

juan

I've been visiting DLand quite a bit over the past year and have seen the original show there many many times.

It is in my opinion that converting the show to the original may not be that hard. Most of the stuff we hate about Under New Management was just additions and not changes/removals to the original show. All they would have to do is remove the Iago(s) and Zazu, and remove the Uh Oa (sp?) and replace her with a very basic fountain.

Another thing may be an issue could be the programming. The original WDW show was most likely not digital but UNM may be digital. So if there isn't a digital programming of the original show, that could delay or prevent any changes. You also couldn't just swap in DLR's programming because there are so many different animatronics.

aladdin2007

I've been visiting DLand quite a bit over the past year and have seen the original show there many many times.

It is in my opinion that converting the show to the original may not be that hard. Most of the stuff we hate about Under New Management was just additions and not changes/removals to the original show. All they would have to do is remove the Iago(s) and Zazu, and remove the Uh Oa (sp?) and replace her with a very basic fountain.

Another thing may be an issue could be the programming. The original WDW show was most likely not digital but UNM may be digital. So if there isn't a digital programming of the original show, that could delay or prevent any changes. You also couldn't just swap in DLR's programming because there are so many different animatronics.

All of that makes sense really didnt think about outdated programming. One does hope there is somebody in the powers that be who would like to do something with the show, it could certainly be a change thay would not have to be all that expensive, I would think, but like you said programming and digital things etc would need an overhaul and I imagine thats not exactly cheap.

But everything else is already in there really. They could have done something in time for the 40th had they not had their heads buried in their checkbooks and realize some things like the tiki room need attention sooner rather than later.

juan

But everything else is already in there really. They could have done something in time for the 40th had they not had their heads buried in their checkbooks and realize some things like the tiki room need attention sooner rather than later.

Heck, they could even market it as "Getting back to the classic for the 40th"

pax_65

Disney would never invest in it and say feature it in The Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade, Wishes Fireworks...

The fact that Disney uses characters from Aladdin in many places does not prove the movie has a hold on the public consciousness. I would still argue that at this point (19 years from release) the movie is fairly obscure. The main characters (Aladdin, Genie, Jasmine) are known by some (especially Disney fans), but secondary characters like Jafar, Iago and the King are definitely not well-known among the general public. For Disney fanatics like us, our kids might know of them from going to WDW, playing Disney trivia, and maybe watching the movie at the suggestion of their Disney-fanatic parents (as I did for my kids) but I would bet most kids today have never even seen the movie.

Disney uses characters from all films in the parks, which is cool. I will never tire of seeing Snow White and Seven Dwarfs in the parks even though that movie was released in 1938. But that movie is a classic, like Cinderella, The Lion King, Beauty & The Beast, Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, etc.

Movies like Aladdin, Mulan, Tarzan, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Brother Bear, etc. are "second tier" movies that Disney fans would know, the general public would only vaguely remember, and most children born after 2000 would not know at all.

crazgurl

Am I the only one who has "the roof, the roof, the roof is on fire..." running through my head? :lol:

In all seriousness though I was a child of the 90s and personally really loved zazu and iago.... Although I never saw the original, when I was 12, I thought iago was hilarious! Today I'll admit, he's more on the obnoxious side, but for me the UNM is a flashback to my childhood so I do actually sort of like it... that being said, I have seen it at least 4 or 5 times in the 3 trips I've made in my lifetime, so I wouldn't be sad if they changed it up a bit!

Here's hoping insurance money is available and gives disney the push to reconstruct something!

COProgressFan

I wonder... Does Disney hold fire insurance on their buildings and attractions? If they do, I think we could easily see a change to the show, because some of the cost is covered.

If they don't, I fear we'll see yet another building in Adventureland shuttered. :(

Unless Yoda is right, and the AA's aren't cooked.

For the most part, Disney (like most other large corporations) is self-insured, so there is no insurance "claim" to file to a third party.

That said, it still would be a good opportunity to make improvements and changes if indeed there was significant damage.

disnyfan89

The fact that Disney uses characters from Aladdin in many places does not prove the movie has a hold on the public consciousness. I would still argue that at this point (19 years from release) the movie is fairly obscure. The main characters (Aladdin, Genie, Jasmine) are known by some (especially Disney fans), but secondary characters like Jafar, Iago and the King are definitely not well-known among the general public. For Disney fanatics like us, our kids might know of them from going to WDW, playing Disney trivia, and maybe watching the movie at the suggestion of their Disney-fanatic parents (as I did for my kids) but I would bet most kids today have never even seen the movie.

Disney uses characters from all films in the parks, which is cool. I will never tire of seeing Snow White and Seven Dwarfs in the parks even though that movie was released in 1938. But that movie is a classic, like Cinderella, The Lion King, Beauty & The Beast, Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, etc.

Movies like Aladdin, Mulan, Tarzan, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Brother Bear, etc. are "second tier" movies that Disney fans would know, the general public would only vaguely remember, and most children born after 2000 would not know at all.
I think in the majority of cases you would be hard pressed to find individuals who could tell you who Lady Tremain, Pongo, Anastasia, Horace, Drizella, Lucifer, Jasper, Bruno, Jaq, Gus, Suzy, Perla, maurice, Roger, Anita, Perdita, lefu, Sergeant Tibbs, Patch, Philippe, Lucky, Penny, Madame De la Grande Bouche Wardrobe, Babette, Monsieur D'Arque, Tiger Lilly, John, and Michael are.

Both Jafar and Iago and been featured in the last 5 years in major marketing ad's for Disney Parks. Both Jafar and Iago have roles featured in various stage shows as well and Jafar is one of the featured Villians with his own segment in Fantasmic! at DHS. More people know who Iago is when compared to Zazu.

dweezil78

Agree'd on all of these, with the exception of Aladdin. When Aladdin came out in '92 it pulled in $217MM US box office and was a MEGA hit. To put that into perspective, Beauty and the Beast took in $145MM just one year earlier. And just two years before that, Little Mermaid made just $84MM. The only movie in Disney's late 80s/early90s comeback that did better than Aladdin was Lion King at $312MM.

Aladdin was most certainly not a "second tier" movie. If anything, I think Disney hasn't done enough with the property over the years. A magic carpet ride? Sheesh, how about a thrilling dark ride using the magic carpet as a vehicle instead??

pax_65

Both Jafar and Iago have roles featured in various stage shows as well and Jafar is one of the featured Villians with his own segment in Fantasmic!

Don't get me started about Fantasmic. Pocohontas is featured prominently in that show, and that movie is even more obscure than Aladdin. Let's be honest... all of this has more to do with Disney's reluctance to update shows and attractions than it does the staying power of some of Disney's less successful films.

But all of this is secondary to the main point here, which is that Disney can do better than a 1971 Tiki Birds show, and better than the 1998 "Under New Management" version starring Iago.

Let's see something new and awesome.

IWant2GoNow

Generally I'm not one for adding characters into old attractions, but what if they incorporated "Up" into it? Maybe Carl and Russell stumble upon the Tiki Birds while going to visit Kevin? Uh Oa could be replaced by a large Kevin AA. You could have about 90% of the original show and just add voice overs from Carl and Russell talking about how amazing the birds and songs are. Maybe a new, and ridiculous solo song from Kevin? :shrug:

SeaCastle

I had read there were plans to redo The Enchanted Tiki Room and Carousel of Progress in time for the 40th, but I guess the plans were shelved. Seeing that the Tiki Room will now be closed for a month, I would hope they could do a refurb of the show, but I doubt it.

flavious27

Brother Bear is the only movie in that group that does not fit, it is more in the same league of Home on the Range.

How can you say that those movies are second tier, that the public wouldn't remember them? They aren't some mindless parody or summer action move, these movies are the go to movies to watch with the kids on movie night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom