Fire breaks out Enchanted Tiki Room

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
Just watched Tokyo's version of the show, much better and it actually lets stitch be a good Hawaiian boy instead of his evil space side. I say take one of the Stitch AA's from SGE snip off his antennae, give him a Hawaiian shirt and a ukulele and let him entertain us, instead of try to scare us.

PalisadesPkteer

If Iago 1 is DOA and it sounds like Zazu is also. Do not think it will be running anytime soon.

The bird mobile being damaged has me worried though. Would be nice to just not fix or replace Iago and Zazu and just fix the mobile (sounds like something TDO would think of anyway). Then they would have the original back in time for the 40th.

The 2nd choice would be Stitch. Looked at the video on YouTube and it was a pretty good show. The original would be better though.

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
Why do I have the fear that TDO wont reopen it at all? . someone tell me im being silly. :p

maybe this will help..

Dear TDO,

Please let me tell you that in this time of pain and suffering over the loss of your new management team of the Tiki Room that I feel your pain. Although some may question their lack of true management skills you never doubted them. Now that they are gone it is time to start anew. While this would normally cost quite a bit to restart the tiki room, certain recycling methods which you will find cost effective, will allow you to have an entirely new show with minimal costs. Bringing over a Stitch AA and repairing the bird carousel will allow for a better themed tiki room and bring crowds back to the show. Next thing to do record a new soundtrack, easy enough eh? Hell, if you need a voice for Stitch I will provide it. Program the show.. I'm sure you have an Imagineer on Salary that would have to do the show and not cost you anything extra. Slap a new sign up front and boom! You have a new show. If you need any addition help I would be glad to take my time to help you with this experience, just move my family to Celebration and I will gladly get this experience up and running.

Your cheap idea machine,

James Norwood

dxwwf3

Why do I have the fear that TDO wont reopen it at all? . someone tell me im being silly. :p

Nobody would be surprised if this happened. If you say that you would be surprised if Disney just closed this down instead of replacing anything, you're crazy.

flavious27

They will reopen it, by all reports the building did not suffer any damage. Depending on the amount of the damage to the AA, it could be down just to fix the AAs that were damaged. If they need to start our fresh with AAs, it could thrust the issue to retheme and refurb it. There has to be some wdi and tdo employees that want to do something better with tiki.

Hopefully they will do something new, I doubt it would be a stitch tiki because of the stitch ride already in TL. A return to the original would be awesome, I don't know any other franchises they could combine with the ride.

dxwwf3

Hopefully they will do something new, I doubt it would be a stitch tiki because of the stitch ride already in TL.

Or they could do the world a friggin service and close that attraction first and then move the AA figures to Adventureland where they might be seen by human beings.

disnyfan89

When the Tiki room came up in discussion last year here where my thoughts on the matter. I feel since we are talking about the prospects of a new show nows a good time to bring about the "merits" of UNM:

Having recently spent a lot of time at the Tiki Room on both coasts here is my thoughts on the matter.

The Enchanted Tiki Room UNM represents everything that is wrong with current Disney management. Right off the bat you meet William and Morris who are two crude agent types. One of the selling points being stated is why argue over something when look at your audience and what do you see: $MONEY$. That's right, all those people standing in line to see the show are simply stated as being $MONEY$. Is this really the message Disney wants to send to their guest? That they are only viewed as being a source of income and a paycheck for the company?

The preshow at least gives you a proper feel for what the show you are about to watch is going to be: rude, crude, in your face, with bad puns, jokes, and outdated pop-culture references.

Then comes the main show which is a mess and a half. As stated by the Cast Member in the pre-show you are suppose to be entering a world of JOYUS SONG and ISLAND SPLENDOR. Which you do for maybe all of a minute until Iago interrupts the show. (Which leads to a huge irony stated by Iago when he says "You all will have me to thank when they are lining up at the Door." When in-fact Iago is the number one offender as to why guest and Disney Fans hate the show)

Let's analyze the story of Enchanted Tiki Room UNM for a second. It all plays off the idea that this Disney Classic has become old and outdated and its time to change the show and update it. Well Disney continually uses the excuse in Florida for the reason we can't close attractions for refurbishments or Holiday Overlays is because their main guests are all from out of state or overseas on a once in a life time trip so they come to Disney to see the shows and attractions that they come to expect from Disney and will be Hugely upset if any attraction is closed or altered from the regular show because they will never have another chance to see it.

Yet here we are at the Tiki room with a show who's story line is THE OLD SHOW IS OUTDATED TIME TO CHANGE IT being played to an audience of guest WHO HAVE NEVER EVEN SEEN OR KNOW WHAT THE ORIGINAL SHOW WAS!!!!! How does that makes sense?

Now looking further into the story of the show we have Iago come in and tell the Tiki birds they have to change the show but he is cautioned by Zazu that he can't toy with the Tiki room or he will upset the tiki gods. After not taking the warning Iago pushes his luck and is punished by UA OA the Tiki goddess of Disaster and sent packing. In order to appease the Tiki Gods Zazu turns the show over to them and then the Tiki Gods proceed to perform NEW pop music and a RAP version of the orginal Tiki Room song after just punishing Iago FROM WANTING TO CHANGE THE SHOW!

Iago reappears stating that the the Tiki Gods are the "Greatest act [He] has ever heard and that [the Tiki Room] is going to be a gold mine" further emphasizing the fact that all Disney cares about is $MONEY$. He then encourages the Tiki birds to Party and we begin the finale number steeped in pop music and rap that all brings out a vibe from the mid 90's further changing the show AFTER BEING PUNISHED FOR CHANGING THE SHOW only this time everyone from the tiki birds and gods to the flowers are joining in. Further more, when Zazu states that Iago has learned his lesson he responds by saying "That's what you think. Time is $MONEY$." The Tiki birds agree with Iago and to show they know whats hip they get everyone to leave.

So in the end Iago has single handedly corrupted everyone and everything in the Enchanted Tiki Room because all he cares about is $MONEY$!!!!

The only improvement over the show at Disneyland is the lighting.

It's sad what the current state of the show is but what the Enchanted Tiki room needs is not a return to the Original 1963 show but a new classic updated version of the show. If Disney was smart they would go through and update the music and references in the original show to have a more modern classic feel. Something similar to the way they updated the O Canada song to feel new and fresh while still be the same classic timeless song that it is.

However, the only way Disney will ever know that the current show needs to be done away with is if you tell them by stopping by Guest Relations to leave a comment or writing the company by email or snail mail.

As I said then, I've spent a lot of time in the Tiki room on both Coast and the UNM Tiki room was just a mess. Preshow effects turned off and forgotten about, birds with their feathers coming off and exposing elements, a large amount of the Tiki Gods and Flowers not working or incorrectly working. The entire lighting was a mess too! Lights that would never turn off or would change what they where doing sporadically with out reason resulting in EVERY SHOW and I do mean EVERY SHOW to have incorrect lighting. Speakers replaced by untheamed exposed black speakers. Audio quality just absolute ____*t and blacklights so old they where turning white.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE TDO give us a new show with out Stitch and rework the songs, music, and Humor to be timeless and sophisticated worthy of the Walt Disney Classic that the Tiki Room should be! Meaning: NO CHARACTER TIE INS!

Krack

maybe this will help..
Bringing over a Stitch AA and repairing the bird carousel will allow for a better themed tiki room and bring crowds back to the show.

Please no. I'd rather they raze the building to the ground than compound their mistakes. Original or nothing.

pax_65

Original or nothing.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I have no great desire to return to the 1970s era tiki bird show. The first time I saw that, I was like "What the heck was that?" although I admit I couldn't get the song out of my head.

I never visited the attraction again until they refurbed it "Under New Management". I went on it and said... "That might be worse than it was before!" and only visited it one more time in my life - to show it to my kids, who both hated it.

Also... most kids today barely know who Iago is. Sorry, but Aladdin isn't exactly a timeless classic, and it's been almost 20 years since its release.

I'd rather they just take this opportunity to fix the attraction right or do something completely new. If the goal of this attraction is to showcase animatronics, then consider how that might be accomplished, come up with some new creative ideas and do it right.

Like others have voiced here, I'm also concerned that a fire occurred at all since this is unusual for Disney. Was this just a fluke thing (accidents happen) or does this reflect Disney's decreased operating and maintenance budgets?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Maybe I'm in the minority here but I have no great desire to return to the 1970s era tiki bird show. The first time I saw that, I was like "What the heck was that?" although I admit I couldn't get the song out of my head.

I never visited the attraction again until they refurbed it "Under New Management". I went on it and said... "That might be worse than it was before!" and only visited it one more time in my life - to show it to my kids, who both hated it.

Also... most kids today barely know who Iago is. Sorry, but Aladdin isn't exactly a timeless classic, and it's been almost 20 years since its release.

I'd rather they just take this opportunity to fix the attraction right or do something completely new. If the goal of this attraction is to showcase animatronics, then consider how that might be accomplished, come up with some new creative ideas and do it right.

Like others have voiced here, I'm also concerned that a fire occurred at all since this is unusual for Disney. Was this just a fluke thing (accidents happen) or does this reflect Disney's decreased operating and maintenance budgets?
You might be in the minority but at least you are in good company. I liked the original show, I tolerated under new management but would much rather see something new than a redo of a 1963 show. I would like to have the original song in the attraction but past that I would much rather see all new stuff.

I am not too worried about the fire. Climate control systems are working longer and harder than they have in recent years and from what I have been reading the majority of fires have been caused by these systems. All it takes is one fan motor to eat itself and you have a fire.

disnyfan89

Yes, Aladdin has no ability to hold on to the publics memory. Disney would never invest in it and say feature it in The Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade, Wishes Fireworks, DL's Remember Dreams Come True Fireworks, or in various DCL shows, Mickey's Philarmagic, or be able to Meet the characters in Parks around the world Including Adventureland in MK and DL and over in Morocco at Epcot. They would also never build attractions based on the movie's magic carpet and feature them at resorts in Florida, Paris, or Tokyo or even theme an entire land around Aladdin at Tokyo Disney Seas featuring several attractions including a 3-D movie featuring the Genie or make Genie the mascot and guide at Disneyquest with a magic carpet simulator or let Genie be the official ambassador from Disney welcoming various Make-a-Wish families to "wish" lounges. And the park going public would never rally enough to save a Stage show based on the film Aladdin from being replaced by Toy Story the Musical.

Buried20KLeague

Yes, Aladdin has no ability to hold on to the publics memory. Disney would never invest in it and say feature it in The Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade, Wishes Fireworks, DL's Remember Dreams Come True Fireworks, or in various DCL shows, Mickey's Philarmagic, or be able to Meet the characters in Parks around the world Including Adventureland in MK and DL and over in Morocco at Epcot. They would also never build attractions based on the movie's magic carpet and feature them at resorts in Florida, Paris, or Tokyo or even theme an entire land around Aladdin at Tokyo Disney Seas featuring several attractions including a 3-D movie featuring the Genie or make Genie the mascot and guide at Disneyquest with a magic carpet simulator or let Genie be the official ambassador from Disney welcoming various Make-a-Wish families to "wish" lounges. And the park going public would never rally enough to save a Stage show based on the film Aladdin from being replaced by Toy Story the Musical.

:lol:

:lookaroun

Buried20KLeague

I wonder... Does Disney hold fire insurance on their buildings and attractions? If they do, I think we could easily see a change to the show, because some of the cost is covered.

If they don't, I fear we'll see yet another building in Adventureland shuttered. :(

Unless Yoda is right, and the AA's aren't cooked.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I wonder... Does Disney hold fire insurance on their buildings and attractions? If they do, I think we could easily see a change to the show, because some of the cost is covered.

If they don't, I fear we'll see yet another building in Adventureland shuttered. :(

Unless Yoda is right, and the AA's aren't cooked.
I have no idea if the AA's are toast.

Buried20KLeague

Please no. I'd rather they raze the building to the ground than compound their mistakes. Original or nothing.

Have you seen the Tokyo show? It's really not bad. YouTube videos really don't do it justice. Seeing it in person, it's not a bad show at all. IMHO, of course.

I'd definitely call it much better than either UNM, or SGE.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom