Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

DreamfinderGuy

The 10 year long rehash ran about 9 1/2 years too long.

it was great, in 1988. always a fan of his music, but the attraction was pretty much a tribute to him at the very worst time for his legacy. The whole thing reeked of tackiness, not because of the costumes of the actors in the video, but by Disney to actually reuse it, and let it run for nearly a decade when MJ's legacy was already forever tarnished.
I'd say it was the perfect time to ever do a tribute to him. His name was relevant again, it revitalized the Magic Eye Theatre for a while, and satisfied fans. After all this controversy with the Neverland documentary I would say now would be the worst time to bring it back, if that were even a remote possibility. (And it didn't have a 10 year run for either times it was showing, fwiw)

Homemade Imagineering

Since the whole situation with COVID-19 is taking a huge hit to budgets right now, especially for unannounced projects like this one that are tons of years from now, would it be cheaper for Disney to reuse mystic manors ride system and layout, sorta like dinosaur and Indy? I know that wouldn’t include the replication of show sets from mystic manor, since the theme would be imagination. The reason I say this is because it’s cheaper to replicate attractions throughout the parks, and has been done before, although I’m assuming the show sets have a huge role to play in the cheapness factor. Just throwing this out there, especially since mystic manor is basically a template for an updated dreamfinder and figment attraction, especially with the ending with the Albert statue, which could be an advanced figment animatronic in the center, similar to the original finale in imagination V1. Again, this is just an idea, and there are issues with it such as the building’s shape, size, schematics etc... since imagination’s building isn’t completely identical to mystic manors, possibly leading to partial demo, etc... just a thought...

FigmentJedi

Since the whole situation with COVID-19 is taking a huge hit to budgets right now, especially for unannounced projects like this one that are tons of years from now, would it be cheaper for Disney to reuse mystic manors ride system and layout, sorta like dinosaur and Indy? I know that wouldn’t include the replication of show sets from mystic manor, since the theme would be imagination. The reason I say this is because it’s cheaper to replicate attractions throughout the parks, and has been done before, although I’m assuming the show sets have a huge role to play in the cheapness factor. Just throwing this out there, especially since mystic manor is basically a template for an updated dreamfinder and figment attraction, especially with the ending with the Albert statue, which could be an advanced figment animatronic in the center, similar to the original finale in imagination V1. Again, this is just an idea, and there are issues with it such as the building’s shape, size, schematics etc... since imagination’s building isn’t completely identical to mystic manors, possibly leading to partial demo, etc... just a thought...
As has been stated multiple times, the trackless dark ride technology requires completely flat surfaces to function and Imagination has multiple grade changes that makes reconfiguring the building for that purpose prohibitively expensive for the powers that be.

Roakor

As has been stated multiple times, the trackless dark ride technology requires completely flat surfaces to function and Imagination has multiple grade changes that makes reconfiguring the building for that purpose prohibitively expensive for the powers that be.

isn't rise of the resistance a trackless system with multiple levels?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
isn't rise of the resistance a trackless system with multiple levels?

Yes, vertically via an elevator. LPS still flat surface only; No grade slope, banks, etc. For that purpose a coaster or regular onmi is still better. I think the next logical step for this ride type will be to have the vehicle simulate banking, drops etc from within the vehicle but I think that's still a long way off. A combination of the tech used in Countdown/Dinosaur on the body of an LPS vehicle seems doable. An LPS being able to drops and climbs seem unlikely unless it's paired with some form of basic coaster tech.

lazyboy97o

Yes, vertically via an elevator. LPS still flat surface only; No grade slope, banks, etc. For that purpose a coaster or regular onmi is still better. I think the next logical step for this ride type will be to have the vehicle simulate banking, drops etc from within the vehicle but I think that's still a long way off. A combination of the tech used in Countdown/Dinosaur on the body of an LPS vehicle seems doable. An LPS being able to drops and climbs seem unlikely unless it's paired with some form of basic coaster tech.
Oceaneering’s Revolution ride system is a trackless vehicle with a motion base.

Homemade Imagineering

Yes, thus rendering replication of such attraction layout and system to save money useless in that case. Whatever is to come will either bring full demo, gutting, or partial demo according to Martin as stated earlier on this thread, although that may change now for the worse because of the current situation unfortunately, via a re-skin if Disney wants to cut corners, although I seriously doubt they’d be THAT dumb to do so, letting an already aged ride system age even more, unless they’d want to re-track the whole thing, which is even less likely.

here is Martin’s earlier post

Attachments

• C32C55C1-8BE2-4122-BEFE-D26B91B66977.png
    C32C55C1-8BE2-4122-BEFE-D26B91B66977.png
    104.3 KB · Views: 97

DreamfinderGuy

This slander piece documentary won't change things.
Nah it kinda did. Notice an uptick of people talking about it after it released? That's called stirring up controversy, and I doubt Disney wants to be associated with that again. Not saying I think the guy is guilty (I don't), but a whole bunch of people are dead set convinced that he is.

Little Green Men

Sorry. No Figment ride until 2100. Or 2030. Or whatever how long they want to keep Eric Idle in EPCOT after he dies. This 2002 attraction is just monotonous and neglected for so long because Disney cares about trendy IP like Frozen. And they decided to shove in our faces a Beauty and the Beast sing along hogging up where Impressions de France is which got a 4K resolution (and it sadly plays 3 times a day).

I would not step a foot at EPCOT until they get these updates even if it means delaying it 2-4 years
🤦🏻‍♂️

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I went on the original version but was too young to remember it. It sounds like the tribute version was missing a lot from what I've read.
The original had in-theatre lasers that fired from the back wall onto the screen, adding real depth the effects for the space battle and at the end. Without them there were several laser sound effects with no actual visual. When the ship crash landed a smoke cannon fired from below the screen filling the front part of the theatre with low lying smoke to match what was onscreen. The transformation of the evil queen had a smoke canon above the screen with a built in projection.

On a brighter note Orlando’s motion base was used sparingly for the tribute. In Anaheim the thing jerked up and down with every bass beat of the music.

yensidtlaw1969

On a brighter note Orlando’s motion base was used sparingly for the tribute. In Anaheim the thing jerked up and down with every bass beat of the music.
I remember feeling that thing thump beneath me and couldn't believe it'd been sitting there through the whole run of "Honey, I Shrunk The Audience!"

Even more amazing to me was that it WORKED after all that time!

Cmdr_Crimson

The original had in-theatre lasers that fired from the back wall onto the screen, adding real depth the effects for the space battle and at the end. Without them there were several laser sound effects with no actual visual. When the ship crash landed a smoke cannon fired from below the screen filling the front part of the theatre with low lying smoke to match what was onscreen. The transformation of the evil queen had a smoke canon above the screen with a built in projection.

Even during the snooze fest of a film festival uses some effects...But, even with using them for the shorts it just doesn't fit...I say bring HISTA back due to the reboot and airings on Disney+ they could even sponser it to tie all together.

tirian

Generally speaking, most Disney attractions from the ‘70s through late ‘90s layered multiple special effects for experiences they rarely attempt anymore. As the resident Park Historian, you know the original slate of EPCOT Center dark rides used a host of effects later abandoned.

ROTR is a happy exception, despite being themed to the Disney trilogy.

RSoxNo1

Generally speaking, most Disney attractions from the ‘70s through late ‘90s layered multiple special effects for experiences they rarely attempt anymore. As the resident Park Historian, you know the original slate of EPCOT Center dark rides used a host of effects later abandoned.

ROTR is a happy exception, despite being themed to the Disney trilogy.
I think you could argue that Na'vi River Journey does this.

UNCgolf

I think you could argue that Na'vi River Journey does this.

I think this is why I like NRJ as much as I do, even while admitting it's too short and doesn't really have any plot or explanation of what you're even doing. It has more depth and a greater sense of place than the vast majority of rides Disney has built in the last couple of decades. It transports you to another place, if nothing else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom